• I currently own the old-school miltron bradley and recently bought the 1941 version for my son for a shorter variant for the younger set.  I am looking to purchase a more robust version to get some new adult players involved.  I am very much intrigued by the 1914 game but the price tag is a bit high.  My question is this: 
    Why is the 1942 2ndE so much cheaper than the 1914?  Is the map/board smaller?  Fewer pieces due to fewer powers?  Anyone own both that can comment on relative quantity/quality of pieces and maps from these two editions?  I realize we are comparing apples and oranges but for the moment I will definitely be buying one edition or the other.  So any recommendations on 1942 2ndEd Vs 1914?

• It is cheaper because they already made the pieces and the map is smaller. The rules are also a reprint, so it was easier all around.

• @gamblertuba:

I currently own the old-school miltron bradley and recently bought the 1941 version for my son for a shorter variant for the younger set.� I am looking to purchase a more robust version to get some new adult players involved.� I am very much intrigued by the 1914 game but the price tag is a bit high.� My question is this:�
    Why is the 1942 2ndE so much cheaper than the 1914?� Is the map/board smaller?� Fewer pieces due to fewer powers?� Anyone own both that can comment on relative quantity/quality of pieces and maps from these two editions?� I realize we are comparing apples and oranges but for the moment I will definitely be buying one edition or the other.� So any recommendations on 1942 2ndEd Vs 1914?

Quite honestly, if you haven’t played a lot of A&A versions then I would buy 1942 2nd edition.  It is the ‘base’ game of the series and has been playtested thoroughly.  It can also be played to completion in one 4 hour time slot.

1914 is more of a niche game as yet and a lot of things need to be hammered out before it is balanced/playable.  It remains to be seen if 1914 is even a commercial success considering it is based on a less well known conflict.   Some of the play tests on 1914 are lasting 6+ hours and all the rules as you know them from Classic A&A are completely different.

• @Imperious:

It is cheaper because they already made the pieces and the map is smaller. The rules are also a reprint, so it was easier all around.

Reprint of what?  They are different than first edition.

• It is cheaper because they already made the pieces and the map is smaller. The rules are also a reprint, so it was easier all around.

1942 2nd ed has more piece 410 vs 400
    It has 10 new scult (1914 has 14)
    Both have new map but 1942 2nd ed is bigger

Only thing, AA1914 has new rules and a about 6 times more dices

1942 2nd ed 42$ ( for the year in which the game takes place)
    1914          100$ ( for the 100th anniversery of ww1)
    WOTC, I see what you did there….

• It has 10 new scult

What would those be?  Besides AA guns?

Artillery are in Global, which is before

• What would those be?  Besides AA guns? Artillery are in Global, which is before

5 Anti aircraft artillery the new Brit (25 pounder) and German artillery (LeFH 18)
    New Russian sub S class and the new Brit sub T class

So it’s in fact 9 new sculpts (my bad)
    1942 2nd ed came out before global 2nd ed

• I stand by my first recommendation- get 1942 2nd edition.  1914 is neat, but needs work.  1914 is also vastly different than any of the WW2 versions, so you will feel more at home with a 1942 version.

• 5 Anti aircraft artillery the new Brit (25 pounder) and German artillery (LeFH 18)
    New Russian sub S class and the new Brit sub T class

no these came out in 1941. only the AA guns are different. that’s only 5 NEW vs 14

• Get 1942 2nd Edition. Period. Especially if you must choose between the two. (1914 is neat, true, but if you’re looking for a “classic” AA then get AA42.2.)

• Customizer

Save yourself some heartache and just get both. Ask people who wanted AA50 (Aniversary Edition), AAP/AAE 40 first edition how hard they’re kicking themselves for missing out. With the big box expensivee games it’s worth it to buy when you can because you never know how long they’ll be available. Amazon has AA42SE for significantly less and the price seems to be coming down. There are however some seriously ignorant people on EBay right now trying to flip AA40SE games for stupid prices while still in print. This is an indicator of idiots trying to flip collectibles that they don’t know much about.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

@toblerone77:

Save yourself some heartache and just get both. Ask people who wanted AA50 (Aniversary Edition), AAP/AAE 40 first edition how hard they’re kicking themselves for missing out. With the big box expensivee games it’s worth it to buy when you can because you never know how long they’ll be available. Amazon has AA42SE for significantly less and the price seems to be coming down. There are however some seriously ignorant people on EBay right now trying to flip AA40SE games for stupid prices while still in print. This is an indicator of idiots trying to flip collectibles that they don’t know much about.

+1.  Don’t miss out on any AA game.

• I think that the 1914 is totally new so alot of “Hot of the Press” items in general are always higher. But for the new units, board and such all new and not “copied” from other sets (only thing would be chips and even they are in different color). If you are a old and die hard AA fan like me you get both. But get 1942 2nd first.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m