AAP 1940 1st Edition Compatible with AAE 1940 2nd edition

• Questions in the topic. sorry if im repeating something but ice scanned and searched and cant find a definitive yes….is my aap 1940 fiest edition compatible with the Europe 2nd edition or should i get the first edition version.

i see i can get the second edition rules easy enough.

thanks

and again apologies if im asking something that has been asked before…

• Yes more or less, you are just missing AA Gun sculpts.  I don’t own either 2nd edition, just both 1st editions.  I use old school AA Guns for the new.

• Thanks, i know i can get sculpts from here historicalboardgaming.com

ive looked at the whats new on the axis and allies home page but it doesnt say how many id need to get?

any ideas?

• For AA guns?  depends on how many you purchase.  I would say 2-5 for each country, if you use stacking chips.

• '12

I think there are some map changes you need to be aware of.  I don’t have the 1e map to check, so I’m just remembering this from other discussions: in the 2e map the Yukon territory in Canada has been merged with the one below it so it is all one piece, and Korea should be entirely surrounded by SZ6 at sea.  So SZ6 should only have land access to Korea and Japan.

• @Eggman:

I think there are some map changes you need to be aware of.  I don’t have the 1e map to check, so I’m just remembering this from other discussions: in the 2e map the Yukon territory in Canada has been merged with the one below it so it is all one piece, and Korea should be entirely surrounded by SZ6 at sea.  So SZ6 should only have land access to Korea and Japan.

This is true, however neither have ever produced problems in a game for me.

• Official Q&A

@Eggman:

The first change makes no practical difference to game play.  The second is a correction that was noted in the 1st edition errata.

• Hi Krieghund,

I haven’t played in a long time but I’m about to dust off the 1st Ed. boards for some global action. I came to AA.org to brush up on rules and I see that a 2nd Ed. came out. Are there any differences between the two editions besides rule changes, plastic AAA pieces, and different sculpts for some of the country specific pieces? If the maps are the same have the setups changed? If so, where can I find the new setup charts?

I found these links in the forums:
    axisandallies.org/p/whats-new-in-axis-allies-pacific-1940-and-europe-1940-second-editions/
    axisandallies.org/resources-downloads/setup-chart-for-axis-allies-europe-1940-second-edition/
    axisandallies.org/resources-downloads/setup-chart-for-axis-allies-pacific-1940-second-edition/
    (Thanks Imperious Leader)

Do these links combined with the 2nd Ed. Rulebooks and FAQs tell me all I need to know or have there been changes to the changes?

I also have some rules questions but I will post them on the 2nd Ed. FAQ thread for organization’s sake.

• Official Q&A

Those things you mentioned should tell you all that you need to know.  The only map changes are corrections that were noted in the 1st Edition FAQs and the one mentioned in the post previous to yours.

• Awesome! You rock as always with the quick responses. Do you remember when AAP 1940 1st Ed. came out? If you contacted Wizards of the Coast customer service they would mail you 6 additional Japanese Tactical Bombers and a correct battle strip. If I asked Wizards of the Coast nicely, would they send me enough AAA guns for each country to play a global game considering I paid $120 for the 1st edition games? I’d even pay S + H and pay a few dollars for the plastic.

• Official Q&A

I doubt it, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to try.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m