• Hi folks,

we just got a version of Pacific in a garage sale and only have a german translation of the rules so I have some questions:

According to the translation Japan looses one VP for every 10 IPC damage done during SBR. That is pretty simple. But the example makes it unclear again: “Japan has an income of 19. A SBR causes 25 damage. Japan hands off his 19 and looses one VP.” Shouldn’t they loose 2 VP?

Airbase: “Planes, originating from or moving towards a friendly airbase, gain additional movement.” Does this mean that fighters could move up to 6 spaces (bomber 8) or are they still limited to 5 (7) moving between air bases?

• Evening Wirkey.
    Aircraft flying to or from a territory with a Friendly Air Base do not use up one movement to go between the territory and the SZ on which the Base is situated or adjacent to. (Copied it as I always found it hard to understand.)
    That equates to 6 moves, but not how you are meant to count it.
    The diagram on page 13 is a bit useless, as you would not make that move.
    You could go from New Zealand to Midway(which is normally 6).
    Hope that helps, otherwise ask again.

They only lose one VP because they only surrendered 19(they did not have 25).
    They can only surrender as much money as they have, hence one not two VPs.
    Had to have 20 to lose two.

Have fun. I always liked that game.
    I wish I had a German version: very cool!

• @wittmann:

Evening Wirkey.
    Aircraft flying to or from a territory with a Friendly Air Base do not use up one movement to go between the territory and the SZ on which the Base is situated or adjacent to. (Copied it as I always found it hard to understand.)

Still a bit confused: lets say i own Japan and Hawaii. Can a fighter fly from Hawaii to Japan or vice versa?
    Assume only Japan and Phillipines left in Japans hand: can a fighter fly from Japan, attack SZ 33 and land in Phillippines?

@wittmann:

That makes sense: so rules should say “for every 10 IPC lost by Japan one VP is lost”.

@wittmann:

We don’t have a german version. We just have a version with the important rules handwritten. Original rulebook got lost

Thx for your help

• Yes to both Japan-Hawaii and Japan-33-Philippines,  as you ignore the SZ both starting and finishing territories are in.
    Have fun.

• @wirkey:

@wittmann:

Evening Wirkey.

Still a bit confused: lets say i own Japan and Hawaii. Can a fighter fly from Hawaii to Japan or vice versa?
    Assume only Japan and Phillipines left in Japans hand: can a fighter fly from Japan, attack SZ 33 and land in Phillippines?

@wittmann:

That makes sense: so rules should say “for every 10 IPC lost by Japan one VP is lost”.

@wittmann:

We don’t have a german version. We just have a version with the important rules handwritten. Original rulebook got lost

Thx for your help

Download the rulebook here:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/axispacific

By far my favorite version of A&A in terms of time to play and ‘fun’ factor.  Global 1940 may be the gold standard, but I rarely have 10-12 hours to play that game face to face.

• BJCard just beat me to rules link and he left out that this is one of the best looking sets.

There isn’t really a more clear way to explain air bases than it doesn’t cost a move point to go from the territory with the air base to the adjacent sea zone or from the sea zone to an adjacent territory with an air base.

• @frimmel:

BJCard just beat me to rules link and he left out that this is one of the best looking sets.

There isn’t really a more clear way to explain air bases than it doesn’t cost a move point to go from the territory with the air base to the adjacent sea zone or from the sea zone to an adjacent territory with an air base.

It is the best looking set- for sure.  Love the red Japanese units.
    Air bases- it is like those fighters are on a carrier in that SZ.

• @BJCard:

Except it works for bombers and since bombers can’t land on a carrier I’ve found that way also causes some confusion.

• @frimmel:

@BJCard:

Except it works for bombers and since bombers can’t land on a carrier I’ve found that way also causes some confusion.

Fair enough.  it was a precursor to the 1940 airbases (and CAP/scrambling) for sure.

• Guess i got it now. So to make it clear, a plane coming from US and attacking Canada won’t get that movement advantage :)

One last question:
    Can i make my fighter movement during cm under the assumption that a carrier picks it up in ncm moving three spaces using a just captured naval base?

• Official Q&A

Yes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m