• So, I still find it hard to swallow that Spain is only worth 1 IPC. I understand that her army was still bruised from the Spanish-American War, but being worth less than Portugal is unacceptable. A standard opening move is obviously going to be France activating Portugal and as pointed out elsewhere, trampling a 1 IPC Spain with troops from Portugal and Southern France is a no-brainer.

Spain has got to be at least a 2 IPC, possibly even a 3 IPC. I’ll hear arguments for either. I’d even be willing to have Spain be a 2 or 3 IPC for defensive purposes only, but only worth 1 IPC for economic purposes (which should help dissuade an invasion).

Perhaps something similar could be extended to all strict neutrals? Invade Greece and face 3 Inf and 1 Art due to its 2 IPC value. Conquer Greece and receive 1 IPC per turn.

• I’m not completely sold that Spain is 1 IPC. The map pics are really blurry, and it is hard to tell the difference between 1’s & 4’s. I think 4 would be pretty high for Spain, but maybe Larry wants you to stay out of it (he sometimes doesn’t like to involve countries that didn’t participate as we know). It also looks like India could be worth 1, and that is low as well, so maybe they are 4’s?

• Agreed, I was baffled when I saw that Spain was worth only 1 even with their continued collapse since France’s invasion in 1808. If Spain only gets 2 units then France will get 2 IPC’s

essentially for free (Spain & Spanish Morocco). I don’t know how industrialized Spain was but I think its safe to state that Spain was more industrialized than Serbia or ANYWHERE in Africa so

why is it worth less than Serbia or worth the same as its colony? I hope Spain is worth 4 and not 1

• Spain is worth 4… So is India

• Its also a shame its only one colossal territory. Touches like 4 sea zones.
    I never liked that spain touches both the Atlantic and the med. Meaning a naval fleet in the atlantic (allies) could unload and bombard and capture it, while an Axis fleet in the med (Italy) can unload and bombard also.

Reminds me of revised, how the US would take france, and Germany would load a transport in the med, and bombard with a battlship while unloading at southern france.
    Thats some seriously long range bombardment!

• @oztea:

Its also a shame its only one colossal territory. Touches like 4 sea zones.
    I never liked that spain touches both the Atlantic and the med. Meaning a naval fleet in the atlantic (allies) could unload and bombard and capture it, while an Axis fleet in the med (Italy) can unload and bombard also.

Reminds me of revised, how the US would take france, and Germany would load a transport in the med, and bombard with a battlship while unloading at southern france.

Agreed.  You could always houserule it into 2 or three territories.  I for one don’t want to draw on my board though- so maybe use the ‘front’ markers from BOTB?

• Looking closely, it is worth 4.
    So thats 7 infantry and an artillery to fight.
    Not a pushover……

• @oztea:

Looking closely, it is worth 4.
    Not a pushover……

Agreed, I was holding out that both Spain and India are worth 4. Neither of them should be 1 that’s for sure, and it would be very Larry like to have Spain be that high to deter an invasion.

Edit:
    I would also think that an invasion of Spanish Morocco would activate the 8 Spanish units in Spain, and it also looks like Balearic Islands (I think that’s right name) are playable as well. I can see a Spanish marker between the French ships in sz16.

There are some new postings of the map in this the link below that will straighten this up. IL has more in the next few posts very cool!

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29636.msg1095308#msg1095308

• Thank God (or Larry?). A Quatro for Spain is much more of a deterent and much more fun.

• @WILD:

@oztea:

Looking closely, it is worth 4.
    Not a pushover……

Agreed, I was holding out that both Spain and India are worth 4. Neither of them should be 1 that’s for sure, and it would be very Larry like to have Spain be that high to deter an invasion.

Edit:
    I would also think that an invasion of Spanish Morocco would activate the 8 Spanish units in Spain, and it also looks like Balearic Islands (I think that’s right name) are playable as well. I can see a Spanish marker between the French ships in sz16.

There are some new postings of the map in this the link below that will straighten this up. IL has more in the next few posts very cool!

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29636.msg1095308#msg1095308

Good to see that Spain isn’t a pushover. Invading Spanish Morocco or the Balearic Islands activates the 8 unit army and it goes immediately to one of the CP (undoubtedly Germany) so

no one is going to touch Spain, Switzerland on the other hand…

• Customizer

@BJCard:

@oztea:

Its also a shame its only one colossal territory. Touches like 4 sea zones.

Agreed.  You could always houserule it into 2 or three territories.  I for one don’t want to draw on my board though- so maybe use the ‘front’ markers from BOTB?

Sorry, what’s BOTB?

• Battle of the Bulge, I assume.

• When a major power’s forces are moved into a minor power’s capital territory (Serbia and Romania are minor powers), one of two events occurs. The Minor power either mobilizes to join the entering forces, or it mobilizes to resist the invasion. The reaction depends on the political relationship between the major and minor powers.

Mobilizing a minor neutral power, note that I said “neutral” power, is another matter that we might get into at some point. In a nut shell they are mobilized by the alliance that did not invade it. They too mobilize twice as many military units as their IPC value. Except for which power’s units are used and who takes control of the invaded territory, it is pretty much the same as invading a minor aligned power.

As Larry notes above, it’s only an invasion of the capital territory that causes a minor power to mobilize. So, in a power invades the worthless Balearic Islands or the 1 IPC Spanish Morocco, it looks like Spain will just take it. I assume the same goes for Angola, Belgian Congo, and Portuguese East Africa.

• Customizer

Spain on my map:

Probably give Madrid 2, other mainland tts 1 each.

The 3 colonies are probably not worth 1 between them (nor is Spanish Guinea).

Spanish Empire.PNG

• Would Gibraltar be on your map Flash?

• @oztea:

Would Gibraltar be on your map Flash?

I’m pretty sure that Gilbraltar as it’s known was not established until after WWI. But I could be wrong.

• Customizer

Gibraltar was a RN base long before WWI.

I would have it as a British NB in Southern Spain, not a land tt in its own right (always hated that).

As long as Spain is neutral or Allied the Allies can use the base. If Spain joins the CPs then that side can use it.

It depends on making a distinction between naval bases and shipyards; this game does not do that. Hence, there are no NBs in colonies to prevent ships being built there.

If there were scope for NBs which were not shipbuilding centres, then Gibraltar, Malta, Cyprus, Alexandria, Dublin, Bombay, Cape Town, Scapa Flow and Halifax NS would all be viable candidates, as would Freetown, Aden, Barbados, Bermuda and Kingston were their tts on the map.  Again, it depends if you want to have mines attached to all NBs or not.

I must say I find it hard to see why they bothered putting the Balearics on the map - will anyone ever bother invading it?

TheMed.PNG

• @Flashman:

I must say I find it hard to see why they bothered putting the Balearics on the map - will anyone ever bother invading it?

I think the same of Corsica, Sardinia, and Sicily. If they’re not worth anything, why have them on the map? Might house rule them in a 1 IPC each to give Italy a much needed boost and make them worth going for. Although thinks will have to be going pretty well for a CP amphibious force to be loose in the Med.

• I don’t know, zero IPC territory of Malta in Europe1940 is fairly useful.

• Customizer

Planes can’t attack ships in this version, which severely limits the usefulness of small islands.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m