• I’m working on writing my A&A strats but I’m unsure about two rulings that aren’t really touched on in the game manual.

1. Is the Panama Canal one sea zone? If I were to move my battleship and transport from WUSA, would I be able to end up in West Indies at the end of my non-combat move.
    2. Carrier movement. Say two Russian ftrs. land on UK’s carrier. On UK’s turn I move the carrier out of the British sea zone. What happens to the planes? Is this move illegal, are the planes considered loss, or are they able to move out of the way to a Allied territory?

Thanks ahead of time.

• The Panama Canal is officially 2 separate sea zones. For instance, on US 1 your BB moves from WUSA two spaces to WPanamaCanal then on US2 it moves two spaces, one to EPanamaCanal and then one more to EUSASz.

Ftrs on the deck of a friendly carrier are considered cargo. When the friendly carrier moves…the Ftrs go with it. Note: if you move a friendly carrier into a battle on combat move…the Ftrs go with it as cargo, but do NOT participate in the battle. If the carrier is lost in this battle, so are the Ftrs.

A very common move happens when you send the UK AC with US Ftrs to drop a load in Algeria. You land your troops and as a bonus…you will often find that the US Ftrs are now in range of smoking the German fleet in the Med on the US’s turn. This is one of the most common moves to kill the German navy, if for some reason the UK doesn’t want to use her air earlier to do so.

SUD

• Well thanks for the response. I was kinda hoping that the Panama Canal was one sea zone so they could escape from the Japanese Navy, but I guess it was never meant to be.

ALso thanks, for the carrier clear up. I’ll keep that UK carrier/ USA ftr move in mind next time I move into Algeria!

• Okay, I am working on my Allied grand strategy right now and I was wondering who Russia should hit first turn: Ukraine or Eastern Europe? I was thinking Ukraine since it makes it harder for Germany to counterattack but what do you think?

• I think its pretty much a toss-up. If you attack Ukraine the drawback is that German forces there are slightly stronger (by 1 ARM), but you can put in more forces there, and when you win, its harder for Germany to counterattack next round–plus you take out an extra tank…

If you take Eastern Europe, you can’t put in as many forces, but the Germans there are slightly weaker. One bonus to this move is that you block the Germans from putting 4 ARM into Karelia next round (in Germany, Southern Europe and Eastern Europe)! However it leaves your ARM in a highly exposed position where the Germans will be HIGHLY motivated to take you out…

On second thought, maybe Ukraine IS the way to go after all…up to you…

Just my thoughts…

Ozone27

• Okay just woundering what your thoughts were. I think you’re right. It [Eastern Europe] leaves Russian ARM in a highly exposed position since Russian planes would be used to take out the Germany’s transport fleet.

• Ever consider going after finland/norway? That way your tanks can be used for 2 attacks rather than just takin ee or uk and getting spanked GER T1. Not always the best move but worth considering

• Under ordinary circumstances Norway does look like a tasty target but it’s better that Russia takes it T2. The reason being is that Norway is basically a floating island, the Germans (except for the ftr) can’t leave it. Even if I attack Ukraine 1 T there’s probably still no chance of Germany taking Kerilia if I place all inf. in it.

• if you put you caucisus infantry in ukraine, will their be enough to defend karelia?

• I agree w/ btown: I personally prefer the Finland Attack over the others, but TG Moses was specific about Ukraine/Eastern Europe.

The reason I like Finland/Norway is that the Germans cannot attack it (unless you left their fleet–but you probably didn’t). This way, whatever ARM you have left in there may be used for another attack next turn (which means T2 you might not hafta buy so much ARM). Plus, it provides a ready landing force for Western Allied relief troops T1. But they are all good attacks, w/ different strengths and weaknesses…

Ozone27

• What happens if you use your transport to shield your battleship in a sea zone? I found that it does no good because the main attacking fleet can bypass thru the transport seazone and attack the battleship.
    What do ya think?

• in which situation? if an allied fleet is coming through panama, as japan i throw a sub or transport in the way to keep my fleet safe for a round.

• Why would the the Allies even care about meeting Japan in the Pacific? Also the way I see it, if the Russians can position their units correctly, then there should be much of a problem in holding off the German counterattack. IF the Germans really wanted to strike back at Kerilia or Ukraine they could with additional aircraft, but this would jeopardize Atlantic Operations.

• most definately. the british and american fleet must be destroyed, no matter what.

• Yes: Priority 1 for Germany T1 is wrecking the Allied fleet–especially the 2 UK BBs and the SUB–the FTRs/BMR should be used for this purpose. But regardless of whether Germany wins (which is unlikely T1) you have to still protect Karelia. The Germans may try a major attack using their vastly superior ARM force to hit your INF there, in the hopes of scoring a lot of hits before retreating. They have a slight advantage while they possess such superiority in ARM but only when attacking. As Germany I’ve found this to be a viable option–such spoiling raids can speed up attrition to the point where USSR can be seriously hurt within a few turns, especially if Germany has fair luck with dice rolls, or USSR doesn’t. Best way to defend against this is to strike early as USSR and prevent the Germans from massing large numbers of INF/ARM within striking distance. Another good idea is to place a good-sized force in Caucases (or Ukraine if you own it) so the Germans are forced to split their forces if they choose to attack–bad news for any country.

As far as the naval issue is concerned, I’m confused–Anonymous, please clarify what you are saying. What specific situation are you describing? Where is this battle taking place? What country are you playing? Id the TR mentioned in the same SZ as the BB, or in an adjacent one? What’s up?

Ozone27

• Well you can prevent hit-and-fade tactics by either country, it’s just something you have to deal with.

Also major problem: In the A&A CD rom version of the game, when choosing to retreat, do all of the units retreat to the same country? I mean if I staged a mixed German attack from EE and Norway to Kerilia and choose to retreat to EE, do the units from Norway go with them? Is this is correct, I would hit-and-run Kerilia T1 and then retreat my forces back to EE inflicting as many hits as I can. Is this possible?

• Yes! In any version of A & A, units that retreat must all retreat back to one territory that one or more units in the attack came from. Many Germany players use this rule to “save” some of the units from Finland-Norway by attacking with everything they’ve got for one round, and then retreating to Eastern Europe. Watch out for the counterrattack, though…

Ozone27

• Yes, you must retreat all your forces back to one adjacent territory from which any of your attackers came.

• Ha that’s pretty niffty. On second thought, a Norway T1 might be viable after all.

• I personally like going after Ukraine T1. Yes, it has an extra panzer…but it’s impossible for the Germans to keep if the USSR attacks with what it’s capable of. Finland/Norway should be attacked T2.

My personal strat for T1 USSR/German land attack is this: Attack Ukraine with all infantry from Kerelia (sorry if the spelling is off, I don’t have a board with me) and Caucuses. Also send all tanks which can reach Ukraine as well as all available planes. Unless you have some incredibly horrible rolls, you should have Ukraine no problem. Then move the 3 infantry from Moscow up to Kerelia and 1 to Caucuses (Germany can still use its transport to land units there). Buying all infantry at the start of the turn and placing them all on Kerelia makes it virtually impossible for Germany to take. Now Germany has a choice. It can attack Ukraine back, suffer heavy casualties and lose it on its next turn despite this or Wait a turn to build up a stronger force (in which case the USSR should build mostly tanks and attack EE with its mass of infantry, tanks plus 2 planes next turn).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m