Preview 0: Release Date March 19

• Founder TripleA Admin

http://www.axisandallies.org/p/axis-allies-wwi-1914-march-19-2013/

This is the first “preview” of the game. I basically outlined the contents of the box according to the rulebook.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Hold on, uploading one more image.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Nice! I like the box art!

• Founder TripleA Admin

Okay, I added the game rendering. I’ll let you folks decide who controls what African countries.

Click on the map image to get a very large but slightly fuzzy version.

• Customizer

Looks awesome, thanks for the update! :-D

I am a little disappointed by the lack of variety in the sculpts, though. I expected the CP to at least have different tank and plane sculpts than the Allies. In fact, I’m almost certain I read somewhere that that was the case. Oh well, that was only a rendering and we’ll see soon enough!

• Very cool! I see that Bulgaria is definitely controlled by Turkey. Kinda wish it was by Germany, but no big deal. Interesting that the Adriatic is not it’s own sea zone. How is the mine rule working with the Italian fleet in the same zone as the Austrians? Do they have to fight since they are in the same zone or does the port rule protect them? Is the board cut off? Looks like Madagascar is. A few colors I would change, but overall it’s nice.

• I too thought the 8 powers would have their own infnatry, and the allies and CP would have their own sets of tanks, planes and boats.

• Djensen you left out how many aircraft come with the game in your preview.

• Customizer

Quick map update - tell me if you spot anything I haven’t.

Major weirdness in Northern Russia! No north Passage? Is Finland even a tt?

Baltic Sea just one SZ!

You can’t sail from the Atlantic to the Gulf of Guinea!

Looks like they had to shave the edges off the map to get in in the box!

Look at Madagascar - the IPC value has fallen off the map altogether! Hope this isn’t the production version…

Must be 4 planes each, look a bit weedy, but I like the tanks.

Either the naval BB is on the reverse of the land version, or naval combat doesn’t use a Battle Board.

Axis&Allies1914FullMapLarryH.PNG

• Customizer

@Flashman:

Quick map update - tell me if you spot anything I haven’t.

Major weirdness in Northern Russia! No north Passage? Is Finland even a tt?

Baltic Sea just one SZ!

You can’t sail from the Atlantic to the Gulf of Guinea!

Looks like they had to shave the edges off the map to get in in the box!

Yeah, I’m not sure if this is the actual board. If you look at the right hand side, you can see the SZ labels are sort of folded over the edge. Hmm…

If someone wants to be a super sleuth, they can figure out a diameter for the unit chips, use that to determine scale, and then see if the board is the stated dimensions (36" x 36", I think).

• Founder TripleA Admin

@oztea:

Djensen you left out how many aircraft come with the game in your preview.

• Its a rendering of the board, so the 2d file of the map was wrapped on to a 3d object that has a little thickness to it, hence the wrap around. Hopefully there will be no cutoffs.

Only 4 tanks, planes, and subs per power….

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yup, it’s just a 3D rendering. I’ll have the physical board next week.

• Customizer

So I think I can assume that there is a sea passage around the north.

Russia gets weirder every time I look at it.

Petrograd is now in Livonia!

Karelia is now in Finland, despite the fact that there’s another tt called Karelia with a naval base at Archangel!

Looks like Egypt is the only tt in Africa worth more than 1, which is fair enough, but one wonders why the continent was included at all.

Paris is practically in the Atlantic.

I wonder why SZ 19 wasn’t extended to the western end of Egypt.

Why does the German flag have an iron cross on it - none of the other flags are defaced?

Axis&Allies1914FullMapLarryH.PNG

• Please, oh please, can’t you tell us the starting income for each nations?! Most importantly the US and the Ottoman Empire. :D

• Furthermore, Burgundy bordering Switzerland opens many possibilities for the CPs. An Austrian attack reinforced by the Germans? I think so…. :)

• very nice. Whats that thing off Italian Somaliland? ( looks like question mark)

Looks like strict neutrals rules exist.

Transports look kinda lame ( like ocean liners)

Russian colors are too strong, Ottoman as well.

Planes look really lame…somethings wrong but artillery looks great!

Flash, how can you see some of these details?

• Customizer

What details - I’m still guessing on some tt names, and holding off on IPC values.

The thing off Somaliland is the SZ number - 27; remember that the edges of the board are tucked under in this projection.

By strict neutral do you mean impassable - I think that only applies to Sahara and China/Tibet.

There are many non-aligned neutrals; they will join whichever side opposes their attacker.

I agree that the board is too garish, but then when I posted a poll my preference for plain pale green tts got no support.

All of Africa is worth, what, 22 IPCs? Furthermore, it looks like nobody can place units there, so was it really worth taking up nearly half the board with it?

Just look how crowded the western front is already, and this is before any multinational forces are formed up.

The Baltic Sea becomes very interesting; I assume Germany can build navy at Berlin, even though it doesn’t have a naval base. Without rails to send units straight to the front, Baltic-Livonia-Moscow looks the best route to the Russian capital. That Russian BB looks pretty vulnerable from here.

@Imperious:

very nice. Whats that thing off Italian Somaliland? ( looks like question mark)

Looks like strict neutrals rules exist.

Transports look kinda lame ( like ocean liners)

Russian colors are too strong, Ottoman as well.

Planes look really lame…somethings wrong but artillery looks great!

Flash, how can you see some of these details?

• Customizer

I’d already formulated a CP strategy based on a R1 invasion of Switzerland, creating a single continuous front for the twin drives to Paris and Rome. The Burundian-Swiss border makes this even more attractive.

@LinkandMarioman:

Furthermore, Burgundy bordering Switzerland opens many possibilities for the CPs. An Austrian attack reinforced by the Germans? I think so…. :)

• Is Spain worth 1 or 4 I can’t tell and if it is only worth one does it only provide 2 units if attacked or becomes pro-Allied/pro-Central?

Also is India worth only 1??!?! or is that also a 4?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m