• Hi everyone,

I’ve been trying to find some beginner guides for Global 1940, as I’ve started playing in a game with some more experienced players and don’t really know what I’m doing. Unfortunately most of the discussions here are going way over my head :)

So I’m looking for some basic info - what are some of the “normal” first couple of rounds like for each nation, what are their general strategies, etc. Searching has turned up a couple of old beginner guides in the Europe and Pacific forums, but I don’t know how much they apply to 1940.2.

Does anyone know where I might find what I’m looking for?

Thanks,
    Brian

• TripleA

normal G1 is attack sz 110 sz 111 and that canada fleet. hit france with all ground units that can reach. carrier sub dd or carrier 2x transport.

Normal J1 depends if you DOW on everyone or not. If you pass you go to war on round 2 and setup accordingly. Search Japan playbook.

Normal russia 1 involves setting up to take persia and then iraq. Sometimes you war with japan and move units toward yunnan (do not attack anything near mongolia as that gives up the mongolia thing).

Normal UK 1 involves sinking sz 97. buying all infantry to defend london.

The rest depends on japan and if you at war or not.

always take sumatra and java as the allies. anzac can land 3 fighters on java if it want to.

• My advice is ignore the “strategies” side of things.

Start of with just little things, looking to win a battle 1-2 turns away.  Aim to restock units you plan on losing that turn, or plan a turn ahead.  I wouldn’t worry too much about long term goals really until you start getting the swing of things.

Learning the unit abilities and possibilities is really all you need to start really grasping bigger things.  This unfortunately just takes time, 3 games down and you will be grasping a lot more but to start with its all about the micro game.  Knowing your  units and what they can do, fight battles, watch the results.  Don’t worry about winning and losing.

Every guide I read before playing didn’t really help until I had played 3 or 4 games and most in my group agree.  Playing is the best way to learn the game.

• Bring cold beer and ask for help is my advice.

Don’t get too worried.

Beginner turn 1 strats:

Germany:
    Wipe out sz 110 and 111 with all air and some subs and the BB as Germ, all land units attack france and yugo. Buy an AC and a dd and sub. Plan to attack Russia G3 and take Novograd rd 4. and move everything towards the front, except the air which stays in W. Germ.

Russia:

Fall back from the front with all units and buy all inf with a few Novo artillery with Russia. Bring the Siberan troops home. Set your air up in Novo but be ready to evacuate it to Moscow. Send your sub out from the north. You goal is to hold Moscow, not battle it out territory by territory. Don’t get trapped in the north. Look to hold in later turns in Bryansk.

Japan:

With Japan, set up a J2 DOW. Buy 3 transports and an art. Put your fleet in sz 36 and some attacking units in the Carolines to scare the USA. Attack Yunnan with the 3 inf 1 art and the bombers from japan and Kiangsu plane and tac. Attack Hunan with 3 inf 1 art and the manchuria planes and tacs and formosa fighter. Fill up your transports and get them to 36 and the formosa one loaded in 20 with a couple naval units to defend it.

On turn 2, attack Malaya, Borneo, Java, with 36 and the Phillppines with your Japan new transports., etc. Make sure to block the USA pearl fleet with a destroyer.

Later build some factories on the mainland and an airbase and navy base in 36 area.

USA:

With USA buy navy in the Pac and a destroyer for the east coast. Start planning to move into sz 54 in force by turn 2 or 3. Evacute phillipines, put fig in Guam and sub and DD in 54. Your goal is to keep Japan from capturing Hawaii or Anzac, therefore they can’t win. By turn 4, get at least 3 carriers on 54 with a swarm of submarines.

In the atlantic, sneak a carrier or two and some transports in later rounds. Grab Brazil when you go to war.

Always pay attention to Japan’s air. They have carriers and islands they can land on and are often able to sink you in the Carolines.

UK:
    Get a bid if playing allies. Give it to the UK for a 98 sub. Buy all inf for London rd 1. If Germany doesn’t build transports rd2 you can buy transports for Canada and S. African units rd. 2 to send to Egypt and maybe the Egypt factory if Italy is crippled.

Attack sz 97 (send in the carrier and a fig and bomber from London along with all 98 units and fig and tac) and 96 with the 91 cruiser and Gib fighter. Kill the germ BB in 110 or 111 or subs left behind in 106.

Your goal is to hold London against a German attack rd 3, or if Germany buys ground units to build up Africa and defend the Middle East.

Italy:

Depends on the UK player. Generally kill the french fleet. Take So. France. If 97 fleet lived kill Greece. Very dependent on what the UK does. Take Alexandria only if the German planes are going to land there rd 2. Take Kenya.

If the UK attacks 97 with a bunch of stuff from London, don’t scramble. Have your German partner sink the UK ships later with his planes.

Pay close attention to your national objectives as they are the real way Italy makes money. Come up with plans to clear the med of ships, and to take Gib or the Middle East. Send a tank or two to the eastern front to clear a path for Germany.

Anzac:

Build a transport and inf.

Grab Java rd 1. Grab Dutch New Guinea rd 2 for the National Objective. Later, provide transports and men for the US fleet coming down to 54.

Your goal is to grab Malaya, Java, Sumatra, Borneo, Phillpines, or Celebes when Japan leaves them undefended. Rd 3. maybe build a factory in Queensland.

Keep 3 fighters as scramblers in Queensland for defense of the fleet. You goal is to help the USA clear and hold the money islands and annoy Japan until the USA fleet is large enough to attack Japan like rd 4 or 5.

France:

Roll really good. Get the random african infs to Egypt. Maybe later send the fighter to french w africa then Egypt or put on a US carrier for defense. Best plan is to not get stuck playing them, as you can take a pee break instead at the end of the round.

Hope this helps.

• Sponsor

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29377.0

This is the most basic advice for beginners of 1940 Global.

• I find that for beginners to have a fighting chance in most games they must:

Buy more Infantry than you think you need.  Buy more SS/DDs than you think you need.  The game is an economic one just as much a military one.

• Thanks everyone :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m