• I think of all the powers, the one I’m most excited to play is the Ottoman Empire because it is new, and in WWII Turkey is Neutral (not to mention little stuff happens in the mid east for much of the game).

With Africa being a lost cause for Germany, would it make sense for an Ottoman drive to Cairo?  Especially if all units must be purchased in capitals, Istanbul is the closest CP to Africa and able to reinforce by land.  Or do you think it would be better served fighting Russia?

In Triplea ‘The Great War’, I always had the Ottomans drive to Cairo.

• I would assume that the Ottomans will be the weakest central power with probably no air power to start the game. Their advantage would be they probably won’t have a lot in front of them aside of Russia. Maybe this game would be ahistorical in the fact that the Ottomans will conquer most of Africa. Kind of like the Japanes sending tanks form Manchuria to Russia in the first AA. Hope it isn’t that easy. I guess Larry will tell us what France will do next. Till then speculation continues.

• I know in a few Napoleonic and other World War I games I’ve played, the Ottoman Empire always fizzles, largely because they are either hemmed in by special rules or their territories are worth less than those of other powers.

Since Larry seems not to be a fan of special rules for each nation that constrain their choices, my guess is that the Ottoman Empire will be the poorest of the major powers as a way of limiting its scope for action.

But if the Ottomans can take Egypt, we’ve got ourselves a whole new ballgame. :lol:

• or build out a massive navy, or conquer balkans. so many possiblilities ^^

• I just like their color, will look great as another power in 1940.

• The Ottomans are my main selling point. The game comes with a minicouch. Oh wait…
    Seriously though, new battlefield, new theater, Africa could be important! Also, turquoise is awesome, no matter what Flashman says. Close second with Austria, as I think the showdown in the Balkans will be truly amazing. Love the one round of combat per turn rule. Every inch  must be payed in blood. Needless to say, I’m pumped

• Customizer

Where did I say I hate turquoise?

I do think tan would be more appropriate for Turkey, however.

Still don’t think it should be able to build ships, tanks and planes, though.

A link-up with Germany in east Africa would be nice, but I suspect the victory conditions will dictate that Turkey is used mainly to put pressure on Russia’s southern flank.

• Im willing to bet the ottomans won’t be able to afford that stuff anyway. Just like the Italian player who buys a fighter on turn 1, they will run out of manpower down the line and get pushed back.

The ottomans probably start with like, 12 IPCs, maybe 15.

My Guesses for starting IPCs are:
    Austria Hungary 26
    Russia 25
    Germany 35
    France 22
    United Kingdom 28
    Ottoman Empire 15
    Italy 18 (Collects Half while at peace)
    United States 40 (Collects Half while at peace)

• Customizer

Don’t think “at peace” powers will do anything, including collecting income - they just won’t have a turn.

America entered the war with little more than a militia, it should have to build a modern army from scratch.

• I hope that is the case, Flashman.
    Have never liked how in 1940 the US can not be attacked, but by T4 have spent 200IPCs preparing for a war they were trying to stay out of.

• Well I thought Larry said somewhere that Italy won’t be able to declare till its turn 2. So AH has the option to attack now….or wait till later.

The US might start with 1 INF, 1 CRUS and thats it.

• Customizer

Which is why the Austrian attack on Italy in the report is atypical - its just to give Italy a turn in the report series, which it won’t usually get on round one.

US starting units look like: 6 inf; art; BB; sub

• @wittmann:

I hope that is the case, Flashman.
    Have never liked how in 1940 the US can not be attacked, but by T4 have spent 200IPCs preparing for a war they were trying to stay out of.

Well, to be fair, in 1940 the US was ramping up production of war material, and once at war it goes up again.  This is sort of reflected in the US NO income.  The US does not start with all that many units and cannot effectively fight toe to toe with either Germany or Japan until after they build for a couple turns at the least.

• I realize we need to look at the setup, but the Ottomans probably need to attack Africa/India/MidEast because otherwise they are not really contested.

• If Hitler thought two fronts was bad, the Ottomans have like 5. The Balkans, Egypt, Persia, Caucasus and everywhere else on their coastline.

• Yes, but are all of those ‘fronts’ for the Ottomans if only the russians can build new units?  India/Africa won’t be able to build new units so…  Coastline could be problematic, but from where? Italy? France?  They have bigger concerns.  My biggest worry would be Russia.

• Well, hopefully UK can build in India to represent Indian and Anzac troops. They’ll put pressure on the Turks. Can’t wait for that! Love the UK in A&A.

• Not sure if the Ottomans will get much of a shot at North Africa, unless everyone else ignores it. They would have the best route of the CPs, but will be pretty poor (crumbling Empire). Egypt will probably be supported by India as the Admiral pointed out. Italy could have a say in that as well depending on where the Austrians are heading (could be an all in on Russia to force they’re early retirement). I think France will have its hands full, but they would also have access to the Med, and the ships needed to to get there. The Ottomans will have many enemies in the Med and a lot of coast to defend if they manage to get to Egypt.

• However, it sounds like Italy is the only Ally that will be able to produce in the Med. If Austria goes hard for them, who knows what turkey might be able to do.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m