• When would you, or whats the advantage for the Axis to take a “Strict Neutral” with such a heavy penalty of causing the entire boards Strict Neutrals to become Allied & thus your immediate enemies?

• '12

I can think of a few reasons, but most of these are going to be in the probably not better than something else you could have done category:

• You are desperate to take Gibraltar and feel you have no choice but to go through Spain.
    • You are desperate to get into the Middle East and feel you have no choice but to go through Turkey (maybe the Allies have too many ships in the Med for you to overcome).
    • You are desperate to make a diversion for the USA and decide to send Japan off to South America (would probably work best if they hit Alaska at the same time).

Something that is going to be true in nearly every game is that this is a far worse move for the Axis than it is for the Allies.  Since your overall strategic position after this move is going to be worse than it was before, you have to be pretty certain that your tactical situation is going to improve significantly to make up for it.

• Sponsor

We have a house rule that separates strict neutrals in South America and the rest of the world…… no attacks yet, but we just started using it. We shall see if there will be an attack on a strict neutral in the near future, which I have never seen before.

• Thanx Eggman, that clarifies & helps alot!

• If I had this area neutral rule YG, as the Axis I would definately take out the true neutrals Sweden, Spain, and Turkey on G3 and use Turkey to capture the middle east and S. Russia.

Then sit back and let the cash roll in.

–Jeff

• I’m a little confused about this whole strict neutrals thingy. Apparently, if you attack one strict neutral, all other strict neutrals on the board is against you, but I can’t find that rule? Is it in-the-box rules or alpha rules? Feel free to quote it too :P I

• Sponsor

@Jeff28:

If I had this area neutral rule YG, as the Axis I would definately take out the true neutrals Sweden, Spain, and Turkey on G3 and use Turkey to capture the middle east and S. Russia.

Then sit back and let the cash roll in.

–Jeff

Perhaps…. but how many cassualties will they spend in order to capture all those territories.

• '12

@Sgt.Ryder:

I’m a little confused about this whole strict neutrals thingy. Apparently, if you attack one strict neutral, all other strict neutrals on the board is against you, but I can’t find that rule? Is it in-the-box rules or alpha rules? Feel free to quote it too :P I

It’s in the 2e rules at least (and I am sure it was there earlier).  If a strict neutral gets attacked, the other strict neutrals all become pro for the other side.  So that isn’t quite the same as being all against you since you still need to move units in during non-combat moves to activate them just as you would with the original neutrals that were pro for your side.

• Ryder,

The rule is on page 11 of the Europe 2e rulebook.  Top of the page, right hand column.

“An attack by either alliance on a strict neutral territory (whether successful or not) will result in all remaining strict neutrals immediately becoming pro-Allies or pro-Axis, depending on who violated the strict neutral’s neutrality. For example, if Germany attacks Sweden, all the other strict neutrals on the map would take on a pro-Allies status for all purposes.”

• Mongolia is not considered a strict nuetral, correct?

If Germany attacks Sweden, it doesn’t allow USSR to activate the Mongolian territories does it?

• Sponsor

@elzario:

Mongolia is not considered a strict nuetral, correct?

If Germany attacks Sweden, it doesn’t allow USSR to activate the Mongolian territories does it?

Mongolia territories are strict neutrals, and if they become pro-allied due to an axis attack on any strict neutral…. than Russia would be able to walk on them and claim their standing armies.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Young:

@elzario:

Mongolia territories are strict neutrals, and if they become pro-allied due to an axis attack on any strict neutral…. than Russia would be able to walk on them and claim their standing armies.

ONE. Let the bodies hit the - TWO, let the bodies hit the, THREE Let the bodies hit the FLOOOOOR! Yea!

• @Young:

@elzario:

Well that’s good to know, I never considered them a strict nuetral.  That being said I don’t remember playing a game where one of the Allies attacked a strict nuetral

• Here is one senario where i recommend strickt neutral attack.

Germany airfleet is in wgr. Big allied transport fleet is in z91  (7-12trannies + some defence but not nearly enough to prevent the luftwaffe from sinking it).
    Its Italys turn, but allies has wisly stacked gibraltar and morocco to prevent can opening. BUT Italy dow true neutrals and take Spain making a landingspot for the luftwaffe. Germany attacks and allies down 120 total unit value at cost of 2-3 planes.

• ONE. Let the bodies hit the - TWO, let the bodies hit the, THREE Let the bodies hit the FLOOOOOR! Yea!

You see the parrot on youtube that sings that?  It is pretty funny.  Gotta check it out.

• Sure seems like USA being able to land units directly on Spain from the USA in one move would be one of the reasons for violating neutrality.  And if the UK has a bunch of surplus infantry sitting around in the middle east, and might as well take Saudi Arabia and Turkey….  If Germany is kicked out of Scandinavia and can’t get to Sweden…

There’s gotta be multiple scenarios where it would be a smart move…  I can’t wait 'til the first time I get to do it…

YES Mongolia is a strict neutral, always has been -elzario
    Just has special rules added on if Japan or USSR attacks the forbidden territories.  :roll:
    Even if USSR invades Japan first, Mongolia is a strict neutral and all the strict neutrals will turn pro-Allied if Japan dares attack it!
    Wait… Not sure Mongolia will go pro-Axis unless Russia attacks Mongolia - would have to look that up and I don’t have my rulebook with me.
    But it still should be considered a true neutral, other than all the weird exceptions…  Thanks a lot, Larry.  :roll:  Stupid Mongolia rules.

• '12

@Gamerman01:

Wait…. Not sure Mongolia will go pro-Axis unless Russia attacks Mongolia - would have to look that up and I don’t have my rulebook with me.

That’s a very good question.  What happens when Mongolia is turned pro-Axis while the treaty with the USSR is still in force?  Will a pro-Axis Mongolia still turn Russian if Japan violates the treaty and doesn’t NCM into Mongolia before their turn is over?

• Sorry, I’m powerless without my rulebook!  :lol:

You’ll have to wait a couple hours, unless someone else jumps in with the answer…

I think the answer is clear if you read the 2nd edition rulebook, though.

• In my rulebook it says that Mongolia only turns pro-Axis if Russia attacks it directly.

• @ChocolatePancake:

In my rulebook it says that Mongolia only turns pro-Axis if Russia attacks it directly.

Oh yeah - didn’t get around to looking last night then.
    I checked the rulebook, and you are correct (why am I hungry for Chocolate chip pancakes all of a sudden?)

Mongolia will never go pro-axis unless part of it is invaded by the Soviet Union.

It appears that if the Soviet Union invades Mongolia, all OTHER strict neutrals on the board will be pro-Axis, though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m