• I’m a long time Classic player and a new A&A 1940 player and I have a question about amphibious assaults. It was my understanding that once attempted amphibious assaults could never be retreated from (in Classic).  In 1940 if the attacker is attempting to clear a sea zone to make an amphibious assault and fails to clear the sea zone are his transports dead in the water or can they retreat? The rules say to use the General Combat instructions (p.18, p.20) but I wasn’t sure if transports could retreat if all accompanying war ships had been destroyed.

Also can anyone tell me the names of the generals on the cover of Europe 1940?

Any clarification on this would be awesome, thanks.

• Its my understanding that they have to retreat if all ships have been destroyed, and they are more than likely to be destroyed on the opponents turn unless of course there are nearby allied ships.  I don’t think they end their movement in the coastal seazone being assaulted as there are enemy units.

I’m not an expert so someone correct me if I’m wrong

• Official Q&A

Retreat is not possible from the land portion of an amphibious assault, but it is possible from the sea portion.  This is true in both this game and Classic.

The generals on the cover, from left to right, are Erwin Rommel (Germany), Vasily Chuikov (USSR), George Marshall (US), and George Patton (US).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m