A&A 1914 pieces in GLOBAL 1940 as Neutral Powers that can build tanks, aircraft

• What do you think about using the new A&A 1914 pieces as armies for smaller nations in Global 1940?
    As you may already know, the pieces that are coming out include new infantry sculpts, tanks (presumably Mark IV’s / Renault FT’s), artillery, “fighters” (biplanes), and vintage destroyers / subs / battleships.

When powers like Turkey, Iraq, Spain, Finland, or Brazil join the war, they are normally “absorbed” by a major nation. But what if they had their own micro-economies and could build their own “low-tech” units represented by the new vintage sculpts?  Which Neutral Powers would have the economic equivalent of a “Minor Industrial Complex”?

Also, I believe China had a substantial army post-1940 including many tanks. Am I correct about that? Maybe there could be potential for China to mobilize fully.

One difficulty in maintaining “balance” that I already foresee is the lack of additional income to the Major Powers that could normally be spent elsewhere on the board. How significant of a problem do you think that would be and how could it be dealt with?

Now I’ve gotta run and do some work today but I’ll follow up on this thread later with some more thoughts.

I’d like to hear your input about this idea because I think it would be fun to implement!

• For reference (as posted by CWO Marc), these are the new colors.

- Germany: Grey
      - Austria-Hungary: Medium Green
      - Turkey: Turquoise
      - France: Dark Blue
      - Britain: Pale Lime Green
      - Russia: Maroon
      - Italy: Burnt Orange
      - U.S.: Dark Green

• @AlphaKappa:

Also, I believe China had a substantial army post-1940 including many tanks. Am I correct about that? Maybe there could be potential for China to mobilize fully.

I think that China did have substantial numbers of infantrymen, but that’s about all.  China’s industrial base was woefully deficient in the 1930s and 1940s, and its armed forces were not mechanized.  As I recall, they had rifles and some basic field artillery, but to my knowledge they had no armour, no air force and no navy to speak of.  Which is why China gets troops but no equipment in Anniversary and in Pacific 1940.  Still, it’s always bothered me that China has no equipment pieces, so I’ve been unofficially using the pale green British equipment pieces from Revised to give China some sculpts that match pretty well the colour of its official troop pieces.  The new British pieces in 1914 might be usable that way too if their shade is a decent match.

• Customizer

I like to use the HBG yellow-green neutral pieces for China. They are brighter than the OOB Chinese infantry but still close to the right color. The artillery work very well and I also use the fighter. These sets also come with almost all the units available to the more industrialized nations except for Tac Bombers, Submarines, Carriers and Battleships.

I don’t think China had any navy in the 30s and 40s. The only air force were the P-40 Flying Tigers, but those were American volunteers. The HBG US Supplement set in light green has P-40s in it, and they are very close in color to the OOB Chinese infantry.
    As for tanks, in 1939 or 1940 Russia did give China 100 T-26 tanks. However, I’m not sure that the Chinese employed them well and the Japanese made pretty quick work of them.

• @AlphaKappa:

Which Neutral Powers would have the economic equivalent of a “Minor Industrial Complex”?

I think Spain, Turkey and Sweden are the obvious neutral powers that have a large enough industrial base to build their own tanks, planes and ships. Depending on how the sculpts are going to look, I think the Italian burnt orange will fit Spain, and maybe the french dark blue will fit Sweden. Turkey already got their units.

Maybe use the medium green for Brazil, and lime green to supply China.

Maybe even Canada can have own nation specific units ?

The Russian maroon will fit Mongolia I guess

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m