Building Infantry Without Industry

• Just an idea, that you can buy and place infantry in a territory you control, (as long as it has not just been took), but it will cost 5 IPCs to do so.

• Xeno Games has rules that allow players to build infantry in territories they’ve controlled for one full round at no extra cost.  However, the number of units that can be produced in a territory is limited to the IPC level of that territory.  I use to play those rules for years, and enjoyed it very much.  In either case the idea makes sense.  I’ve thought about seeing if HBG will make a marker for a “Recruitment Center”.  This would be a cheaper version of a factory that only infantry could be produced at.  Just a thought.

• Customizer

Maofator,
    Your “Recruitment Center” idea has merit. Since Minor ICs cost 12, these should be much cheaper, perhaps 5 or 6 IPCs, and you could place them in any territory that you owned at the beginning of your turn. A few questions regarding this new unit:
    1 - Should one be able to produce the same amount of infantry up to the IPC value of that territory? OR, should we treat them more like Minor ICs and only allow 3 infantry units per turn? I was thinking of Eastern United States dropping 20 guys in one turn. That just doesn’t seem right. I think a flat limit would work better.
    2 - What about a limit per territory? Could more than 1 Recruitment Center be built and used in one territory? Or should we treat them like ICs and say only 1 per territory?
    3 - Can "RC"s be captured and used by the enemy like ICs and bases? OR, should RCs be removed upon a successful enemy invasion, like ICs on Chinese soil?

• We allow 1 infrantry on any starting color territory only with a infrantry cap per country.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I’ve done this lots of times, but what ends up happening is it just turns the game into an infantry grind, and because the Axis have steep gains to make, it’s a losing grind for the most part.

• Allow VCs to produce 1 infantry (or 1 extra infantry if a factory is there)

• The rule that Imp Games’ “East & West” uses is:

• Each territory that you have controlled since the start of your turn can produce 1 infantry per IPC value

• ICs can produce a number of additional units (including more infantry) equal to the IPC value of the territory

So for example, a 2 IPC territory with an IC can produce 2 inf + 2 arm, or 4 inf.
    The problem with that game is that it is IPM as all hell to begin with, and producing infantry in captured territories is basically a necessity for the USSR, but seems kinda like BS for NATO to be able to do, IMHO.

• Ya are rules are like that too.  But can’t build new complexes.

• knp7765,
    My vision would be like you said, 6 IPCs (half the minor factory cost).  I would say first off a recruitment would be considered a factory of sorts.  Therefor, no other “factory” could exist in the same territory.  With that said there should be a limit I suppose of say 3 units per turn.  For game play purposes I would say these units could be captured by enemy players.  The issue with the Xeno rules and other similar variants is that is slows the game down.  It creates an almost trench warfare feel to the game.

• Customizer

@Maofator:

knp7765,
    My vision would be like you said, 6 IPCs (half the minor factory cost).  I would say first off a recruitment would be considered a factory of sorts.  Therefor, no other “factory” could exist in the same territory.  With that said there should be a limit I suppose of say 3 units per turn.  For game play purposes I would say these units could be captured by enemy players.  The issue with the Xeno rules and other similar variants is that is slows the game down.  It creates an almost trench warfare feel to the game.

This idea is sounding better and better to me. So with the “no other factory” clause, take the US for example. Since E US, C US and W US all have ICs, the US couldn’t build RCs there, but could in Alaska, Mexico or Hawaii, right?
    This sounds like a great idea to me, plus make it so much easier to get men out to some more remote areas without having to rely on transports. Yeah, I do see a possible problem of too many men in some cases (RUSSIA), but you would still have to buy those men so you would still be limited by your income. A Recruitment Center doesn’t generate “free” infantry, right?
    One other question: In regards to China. RCs built on Chinese soil, probably by Japan, would be treated like ICs and removed upon that territory being liberated. Since other Allies couldn’t use them because that territory is now Chinese and China can basically plop men anywhere they want anyway, there would be no need for an RC to remain. That sound right to you?

• '12

@Maofator:

knp7765,
    My vision would be like you said, 6 IPCs (half the minor factory cost).  I would say first off a recruitment would be considered a factory of sorts.  Therefor, no other “factory” could exist in the same territory.  With that said there should be a limit I suppose of say 3 units per turn.  For game play purposes I would say these units could be captured by enemy players.  The issue with the Xeno rules and other similar variants is that is slows the game down.  It creates an almost trench warfare feel to the game.Â

If no factory is allowed (which makes sense), can a recruitment centre be upgraded to a minor factory?  8ipc?  26ipc to go straight to major?

• This is an old AARHE idea. ( 2004)

We just charge more for infantry depending on original, former enemy controlled, or separated by oceans

• I think it might make holding the Russian Front easier for Germany in 42.

• From my AARHE

Variable Infantry Costs
    Infantry units are constructed at victory cities. Optional unit Airborne Infantry units are constructed in your
    home capital. Other units are constructed at your Industrial Complex.

Germany and Soviet Union Infantry Cost
    Original Capital Victory City 2
    Connected Victory City* 3
    Other Victory City 4
    *connected to Capital via contiguous land territories controlled by you or friendly nations

Japan and Italy Infantry Cost
    Original Capital Victory City 3
    Other Victory City 4

US and UK Infantry Cost
    Original Capital Victory City, 1st 2
    Original Capital Victory City, 2nd 3
    Original Capital Victory City, 3rd+ 4

• knp7765,
    The idea I have kicked around would allow for example the US to build a RC in Alaska.  I would hesitate to allow them on islands to prevent a staging point build up like in the Philippines.  Keep in mind the idea would still take time to develop.  I’d say it still has to follow the same rules for construction as a factory.  The player must control the territory for 1 full round before a RC can be built.  So it’s a couple of round for a newly occupied territory to start producing Infantry.  They would not produce free infantry, just the ability to build and place them in a more cost effective way.  As far as China goes I’d say your right.  They would just be eliminated from play if liberated.

IL,
    I imagine there aren’t that many original ideas left out there.  If I’ve suggested an idea that someone else has already developed, I assure you it wasn’t an intentional “theft”.  I’ve seen some ideas that I borrow and tweak, but try to give credit were it’s due.  Our 2 ideas are similar, but definitely tactically & strategically different.

Again, this is just an idea that I’ve been tossing around in my head. I’ve never played it.  Anyone can take what they like and leave what they don’t.  If anyone does try it, I’d like to know how it worked.

• not saying anything like that, except as far as i know this idea was first used back in AARHE days. Then i posted what the idea was.

• Customizer

Think of every tt with an IPC value as having an infantry “depot”. The limit raised per turn based on the IPC value is reasonable.

But in the long term (and I’m thinking in particular of WWI) the number of men of fighting age available in any area is limited. WWI would not have gone on indefinitely; each side would simply have run out of men. Furthermore, the more you try to recruit in a particular area, the quality of troops raised decreases, and resistance to conscription grows.

Also consider depots as infantry training centres; a unit recruited there receives basic training, say the equivalent of a 1-1 infantry unit.

Leave it there another turn and it improves to a 1-2 unit, or you might use the turn to train it as storm troopers, paratroopers etc. You have to decide on the value of properly trained units against the immediate need for troops at the front, even if they’re just raw recruits to soak up hits.

A further refinement is to indicate the nationality of a depot; some nationalities will fight for more than one side, for example Romanian units might be raised by Germany or Russia depending on who controls Bucharest.

Units starting the game can be assumed to be fully trained, those raised from scratch start as raw. You can even consider some casualties to be wounded, and needing to be sent back to the depots for recuperation.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m