• 1. Do you think the AA gun is sucks in the game? No attack value, no combat move, only attack aircraft unit at the first round, and have to roll 1 to hit (although it make three shot), but cost 5 IPC!! Is there any modifier about the AA gun?

2. Are there any strategy value for the airport on Iceland?

3. How to make the Allies defend well when facing Axis power, i saw some Axis Strategy can rush Soviet or England at the second round, it means the Axis have most adventage that the allies?

• '16

@Quidam:

1. Do you think the AA gun is sucks in the game? No attack value, no combat move, only attack aircraft unit at the first round, and have to roll 1 to hit (although it make three shot), but cost 5 IPC!! Is there any modifier about the AA gun?

Nah, I think the AA gun is just fine. 5IPCs for a chance to kill a 10-12 IPC unit. Seems fair enough for me. The mere chance that it can strike down 1-3 planes can cause an opponent to think twice about sending planes to a battle.

Perhaps.
    But I haven’t made use of the Iceland airbase yet, so I cannot really say.

it means the Axis have most adventage that the allies?

Well… The Axis certainly has a strong starting military and position advantage. Its what allows them to expand. If they didn’t have this advantage, they would never stand a chance against the Allies. The Allies themselves have an advantage, an economic advantage. They make a lot more money than the Axis powers, so it sort of balances out I suppose.

• @Quidam:

1. Do you think the AA gun is sucks in the game? No attack value, no combat move, only attack aircraft unit at the first round, and have to roll 1 to hit (although it make three shot), but cost 5 IPC!! Is there any modifier about the AA gun?

I don’t think it sucks, but I have never found myself in a position to buy more.  Remember, the factories and bases now have strategic AAA incorporated into them, so these AAA are for tactical purposes only (in war terms, not to be confused with strategic and tactical bombers).  Plus, in a battle you’ll likely lose, they make great first round fodder.

@Quidam:

Here are a couple wikipedia articles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland_during_World_War_II
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland_Base_Command

Without long rang aircraft tech, American fighters can’t reach England in one turn.  Iceland serves as a possible way-point, especially if the Allies are having difficulty regaining control of the Northest Atlantic.

Incidentally, I think I figured out why pre-war US is allowed to venture warships into SZ 102 for “patrols”: fighters on an acft carrier there can attack Gibraltar or Morocco on Turn 4.

@Quidam:

3. How to make the Allies defend well when facing Axis power, i saw some Axis Strategy can rush Soviet or England at the second round, it means the Axis have most adventage that the allies?

For USSR, I usually buy tanks and mech infantry pre-war.  If UK is sure to move westward from India during the non-combat phase, annexing all pro-Allied neutrals, then USSR can attack Iraq on Turn 4.  This is important, as it gains 5 IPCs (2 + 3 Nat’l Obj).  Same with Finland, and Norway is even more since takes away 5 Nat’l Obj from Germany.  But by the time you can accomplish that, Germany can be a serious threat.  As long as I have the frontal factories, I buy 3 artillery at each every turn and as many mech infantry as possible.  Once your income surpasses your placement capacity (if you can take Iraq and Finland/Norway), replace mech infantry with tanks until you reach the optimized cost/placement balance.  At all times leave one infantry in every territory no matter what, to at least slow Germany down.  Watch out for Italy taking an easy territory so that Germany can blitz through next turn.

For UK, I usually buy a combination of 3 mech inf and tanks in South Africa every turn.  Round 1 is often 3 mech infantry and 2 destroyers for the remnant Atlantic Fleet I reposition to SZ 109.  Consider moving a destroyer to 112 during your non-combat moves to block the German fleet if you think they may try Sealion.

• And I’ll add that for USSR, be prepared to cede territory.  Fall back and give up your factories for free if necessary.  If he’s serious about the Eastern Front, there’s nothing you can do to stop it.  If you save all your units and withdraw into Moscow, you can at least hold out much longer.  Make sure you always leave one unit in every territory to slow the blitz.  If he leaves his tanks exposed or lightly protected, consider attacking them.  It might be better to withdraw just before winning, depending on the counter-attack options.

And for the Iraq strategy I mentioned earlier, that only works if UK has reached NW Persia, if your southern tanks and mech infantry are stationed at Caucasus, and Germany has not attacked early.

• @z0m4d:

@Quidam:

Here are a couple wikipedia articles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland_during_World_War_II
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland_Base_Command

Without long rang aircraft tech, American fighters can’t reach England in one turn.  Iceland serves as a possible way-point, especially if the Allies are having difficulty regaining control of the Northest Atlantic.

Incidentally, I think I figured out why pre-war US is allowed to venture warships into SZ 102 for “patrols”: fighters on an acft carrier there can attack Gibraltar or Morocco on Turn 4.

Also, in the event of a successful Sealion G3(successful from the German point of view), planes on patrol in z102 and bombers from the airbase in Eastern USA can hit the German fleet in z109 and z110. This is why you always activate Eire on UK1 - If Germany wants to take away American bomber landing spots, it has to make the attack on London light by at least 2 transports, increasing London’s survivability.

Of course, if you didn’t buy a carrier US1 and park it with planes in z102 on US2, and if you didn’t buy bombers (and park them in EUSA on US2), well… then you had better not lose London!! :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m