Lets talk about the weather

• Customizer

My proposed chronology is 1 round = 3 months.

Therefore we have:

August - October = Autumn (red)
    November - January = Winter (blue)
    February - April = Spring (green)
    May - July = Summer (yellow)

What effects would the changes in seasons have? Certainly bad weather in winter would more likely effect motor vehicles, but what else.

Fog was certainly an issue - it virtually cancelled out the defensive advantages of entrenched infantry.  So much so that the use of “smoke” shell became a regular feature of allied attacks in the late war. Strong winds effected the use of poison gas shells, which could blow back into the faces of the men firing them.

Suppose a set of 4 dice, one for each season, with various weather types ranged accordingly.

Roll, say, between combat movement and combat and apply the effect on subsequent battles. The assumption is that changing weather is too late to stop operations being started, but it might effect, for example, the type of shell fired in opening bombardment.

Areas such as deserts and swamps would have permanent weather effects.

• weather will not be a factor in this game, it hasn’t been in any (except BotB) Axis and Allies game. It won’t be in this one either

• Right. no weather. Too much chrome that adds little. KISS applies.

• @Flashman:

Suppose a set of 4 dice, one for each season, with various weather types ranged accordingly.

that would be sick!, idk enough about what weather effected the battles though. Also wouldn’t you need separate dice for different climate zones. Obviously the middle east and Africa have different weather than Europe. An even with in Europe weather is different. Also gas clouds from chemical weapons could limit viability like fog and smoke, not to mention actually burning soldiers eyes.

Also what about chemical weapons used at sea. I have never heard of its use, but its been theorized, and modern navies run drills to be prepared for it.

• The only effect would be against use of chemical weapons for winter (  they are not in the game). This war didn’t have Stalingrad style record winters. Only Armenians were effected and they are not in the game.

• I think it effect supply, so during winter you can only roll one round of combat, but in summer you can roll for several rounds of combat, just like in WiF

• Customizer

Maybe make it so the Brits can’t cross the channel when the weather permits them from doing so… :evil:

• Flash 4 seasons is too long
    3 seasons is better. Every third turn represents winter: November, December, January, February.

All the other months are too similar and can share a chart.
    1-2 good weather (normal rules)
    3-4 rain and fog (half of defending infantry defend at 2)
    5-6 storms and wind (planes, tanks, artillery attack at -1/Boats move one less space per turn)

Winter would be
    1-2 cold weather (half of your attacking infantry attack at 1)
    3-4 freezing weather (all units attack and defend at -1)
    5-6 blizzard conditions (no comabt allowed in Europe, ALL powers collect 1/2 IPCs)

• @oztea:

Winter would be

I dont agree. When you study the war, it looks like a unit have the same combat value in both summer and winter. In summer you have minefields, but they dont work under the snow, and you can cross frozen rivers. It looks like winter and terrain effect the supply, you can only move so much supply when the road is gone under snow and ice, or through a montain pass. So it looks like a unit can do more rounds of combat during summer, and less rounds of combat during winter or in mountains.

So I say, have two turns in a year.

Winter turn - only one round of combat move and combat
    Summer turn- Several rounds of combat moves and combats. Of course in Wif style. All do purchase. Then rotate on combat moves and combat like 5 or 6 times. Then all place units and collect income

• @oztea:

Flash 4 seasons is too long
    3 seasons is better. Every third turn represents winter: November, December, January, February.

All the other months are too similar and can share a chart.
    1-2 good weather (normal rules)
    3-4 rain and fog (half of defending infantry defend at 2)
    5-6 storms and wind (planes, tanks, artillery attack at -1/Boats move one less space per turn)

Winter would be
    3-4 freezing weather (all units attack and defend at -1)
    5-6 blizzard conditions (no comabt allowed in Europe, ALL powers collect 1/2 IPCs)

Well, that makes no sense.  Don’t think you can have Blizzard conditions in the Med/Africa/Mid East

• @BJCard:

Well, that makes no sense.  Don’t think you can have Blizzard conditions in the Med/Africa/Mid East

On the WiF map they draw a line bethwen the arctic zone in the north and the mediteranean zone in the souht. Of course it wasnt blizzards in Morocco at that time, thats something new because of the global heating

• @Razor:

@BJCard:

Well, that makes no sense. � Don’t think you can have Blizzard conditions in the Med/Africa/Mid East

On the WiF map they draw a line bethwen the arctic zone in the north and the mediteranean zone in the souht. Of course it wasnt blizzards in Morocco at that time, thats something new because of the global heating

Fair enough, you could make it simple by saying any territory bordering the Med or in Africa/Mid East/India is immune to such weather effects.

• The weather rules would not apply to sea zones 14-29, or any adjacent land territory.

• @oztea:

The weather rules would not apply to sea zones 14-29, or any adjacent land territory.

Perhaps a more elegant solution, but are there any landlocked territories we are missing?

• Weather would overcomplicate the game. Don’t “fix” something if it isn’t broken.

• @goalievogel:

Weather would overcomplicate the game. Don’t “fix” something if it isn’t broken.

Once I get the game and play for a few times. I am deffiantly going to house rule. Weather is a possibility.

I’m automatically house ruling U.S.A. Must stay in its sz and Continent(I’ll let em go to Canada) until round 4 or declaration of warm

I will add Rail if CP have less of a chance as well as possible Automatic revolution when the requirements are met and it counts as a Capital. I may also add Germany being able to buy Infantry in Africa 1 per original territory.

• The US can’t land in any territory until turn 4 (so no Canada).

• @italiansarecoming:

@goalievogel:

Weather would overcomplicate the game. Don’t “fix” something if it isn’t broken.

declaration of warm

I know its a typo, but this is a weather thread and I giggled

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m