Classic 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition, and Iron Blitz

• Customizer

Anyone still play these?

Anyone heard of the AxisAndAlliesWorldClub.net ?

They have, 7 variations, called Omaha, Gold, Anzio, Utah, etc etc.
    They are still playing this thing by the old old ass CD-rom from the 1990s.

Anyway, just curious

• I do but just against myself. I don’t like all these names “anzio, juno, sword, omaha, etc”

And those people only play 1 vs. 1, not 4-5 players so forget it. I don’t understand what fun is it to play 1v1? That game is the ultimate team concept game.

• Customizer

On request from these guys, I’ve update a few maps.

TripleA will now play 3rd edition correctly, and I’ve added Anzio and their other mods as well.

World War II Classic (aka: A&A 2nd Edition and A&A 3rd Edition)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/maps/World War II Classic.zip
    Classic 2nd Edition
    Classic 3rd Edition
    Iron Blitz (3rd Edition)

Classic Mods zip folder
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/maps/Classic_variations.zip
    Omaha
    Kremlin
    Utah
    Gold
    Sword
    Anzio
    Iron Blitz (2nd Edition version)
    Iron Blitz 1939A Historical
    Iron Blitz 1939B Russia In The Axis
    Iron Blitz 1939C US Stands Apart
    Iron Blitz 1942A Russia Neutral
    Iron Blitz 1945A Russia And Japan
    Iron Blitz 1945B Aggressive Russia
    Iron Blitz Cold War
    Battleship Row
    Four If By Sea

enjoy,
    veq

• @Imperious:

I do but just against myself. I don’t like all these names “anzio, juno, sword, omaha, etc”

And those people only play 1 vs. 1, not 4-5 players so forget it. I don’t understand what fun is it to play 1v1? That game is the ultimate team concept game.

I am new to this forum and looking to expand my A&A play. I have played Classic Axis and Allies for most of my 23 year military career. I have also been a member of Axisandalliesworldclub.org since the MSN days in the 90’s and currently rank in the top 5 for all data bases combine.

Your statement can not be more false. The names “Anzio, Juno, Kremlin, Sword, Omaha” only refer to different variants of the 2nd or 3rd addition rules.

Example:

The Anzio data base is 3rd Edition plus Axis Advantage turned “on” (German has Jets, Japan has Super Subs) no tech rolls allowed.

(A) Standard 3rd edition rules
    (B) Russia Restricted(Russia may not attack on Round 1).
    © 2-hit Battleships
    (D) Always Active AAguns
    (E) Axis Advantage(Germany begins the games with Jets; Japan begins the game with Supersubs).
    (F) No technology rolls allowed ever.
    (G) Both IPC turned on.
    (H) Bid for axis
    (I) 3 min timer (this rule may be changed by mutual agreement)

Omaha is 3rd Edition rules, its just they gave it so when your looking for a game you can say “omaha”.

(A) standard Third Edition rules
    (B) Both IPC turned on.
    © 3-minute timer(this rule may be changed by mutual agreement)
    (D) 2-hit battleships
    (E) Always Active AAguns
    (F) bid for Axis.
    Please note- Omaha (DB1) has a unique way of bidding for axis. - See Club Rules and Regulations here.

And if you REALY want to add a twist to Axis and Allies you can try the Kremlin data base. This adds such a twist to the standard 2nd/3rd addition rules, bidding system and game play that no two games are ever the same.

You are also incorrect in saying “they only play 1v1”. There is a section of the Club devoted to “Squadron Play”. This is a 2v2 mini league within AAWC (Axis and Allies World Club). It runs in Season and they are currently half way through Season 31. This is a 2v2 league but the team playing Allies can request a 3rd person to make this 3v2 although the game will only be posted vs the 2 original players involved in the bidding.

axisandalliesworldclub.net/squad/

I hope you and many more here will be more openminded about AAWC as I am about exploring playing here using TripleA. You are missing great opportunities to play some of the best in the world at Axis and Allies. Many of the players still playing there today have been playing this game since the 90’s logging thousands of games. The competition there is some of the best I have ever seen……

• I bet those guys playing classic for over 20 years are VERY good at classic, but the newer A&A games are a completely different animal.  There would be a big learning curve …

They have:

Added new units:
    Artillery
    Mech Infantry
    Destroyers
    Cruisers
    Tactical Bombers

Altered unit stats:
    Aircraft Carriers
    Armor
    Transports
    Submarines

Changed production center capacity and added major/minor ICs
    Changed strategic bombing
    Added neutral and allied/axis leaning neutrals
    At least doubled if not tripled the number of territories
    Added National Objectives
    Added convoy rules
    Added Naval Bases/Air bases
    Added delayed entry for some nations (USA/Russia)
    Added 1940/1941/1942 starts
    Changed AA Gun mechanics
    Changed technology rolls

These are just off the top of my head.

With Classic, there was an optimal strategy- KGF.  Sure, a KJF can work, but KGF was easier.  In addition, the “Infantry Push Mechanic” was prevalent.  In Global 1940, there is no optimal strategy yet devised.

I had a guy a couple weeks ago over to play the Anniversary edition- he had only ever played Classic in the last 20 years and he was completely overwhelmed with Anniversary-  For example, He played Axis and kept forgetting that there were Artillery.

• BJ,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with everything you said. Axis and Allies has evolved a lot since Classic days. I own A&A Europe 1ED and have a Copy of 1942 1ED here now (currently in a game). I love many of the changes you refer to but like and ole dog I still cant shake my love for the original game that got me hook so many years ago.

Many of the players in AAWC play the other board games, just not online. The original Hasbro CD-Rom only allows Classic 2nd/3rd ED. This is why the club has developed different data bases such as “sword” which was intended to simulate 1940 within the Hasbro games limitations.

Just wanted to point out to another A&A community to be open minded and if your interested in some very competitive Classic games download the programs.

Dont be surprised if it takes you a dozen games or so to get your first win :)

Some of the most competitive games I have played are in the 2v2 Squad league. We use voice chat programs to talk over stat’s and moves. Good way to learn and make friends in the process.

p.s. Another reason I love playing in AAWC on the War Zone game server is the games are fast. Classic plays fast compared to other revisions, so if your looking for competitive play and have 2-4 hrs you can get a full game in.

Im looking forward to trying out TripleA very soon.

• @19k:

BJ,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with everything you said. Axis and Allies has evolved a lot since Classic days. I own A&A Europe 1ED and have a Copy of 1942 1ED here now (currently in a game). I love many of the changes you refer to but like and ole dog I still cant shake my love for the original game that got me hook so many years ago.

Many of the players in AAWC play the other board games, just not online. The original Hasbro CD-Rom only allows Classic 2nd/3rd ED. This is why the club has developed different data bases such as “sword” which was intended to simulate 1940 within the Hasbro games limitations.

Just wanted to point out to another A&A community to be open minded and if your interested in some very competitive Classic games download the programs.

Dont be surprised if it takes you a dozen games or so to get your first win :)

Some of the most competitive games I have played are in the 2v2 Squad league. We use voice chat programs to talk over stat’s and moves. Good way to learn and make friends in the process.

p.s. Another reason I love playing in AAWC on the War Zone game server is the games are fast. Classic plays fast compared to other revisions, so if your looking for competitive play and have 2-4 hrs you can get a full game in.

Im looking forward to trying out TripleA very soon.

True, Classic can be fast, and is one of the good things about it.  I haven’t played Classic in at least ten years so it probably would take me several games to get a win over there.  Triplea is fun, highly recommend it.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Necro’d for the nostalgia :)

The Anzio data base is 3rd Edition plus Axis Advantage turned “on” (German has Jets, Japan has Super Subs) no tech rolls allowed.

(A) Standard 3rd edition rules
    (B) Russia Restricted(Russia may not attack on Round 1).
    © 2-hit Battleships
    (D) Always Active AAguns
    (E) Axis Advantage(Germany begins the games with Jets; Japan begins the game with Supersubs).
    (F) No technology rolls allowed ever.
    (G) Both IPC turned on.
    (H) Bid for axis
    (I) 3 min timer (this rule may be changed by mutual agreement)

I remember my first face to face A&A gaming group was very partial to these rules! With the super sub/jets balancing for Axis. And I recall playing 3rd edition with fondness on CD in the 90s. It makes me happy to see that you got these rules brought into tripleA Veq.

I remember when I first saw TripleA back when SGB and Logan had finished integrating the original classic game, I came to it after a solid hasbro bender. When Revised was first introduced to TripleA, there was less Classic action going on, because of the clear excitement around Revised with its artillery and destroyers, new heavier tanks, and new production rules and victory rules. Still its cool to have as many Classic variants as possible available, since I think TripleA is kind of like a historical record of Axis and Allies games that are now long out of print.

Rule (B) remains of 3rd is one that I still look to for inspiration. In AA50 I use a modified version of Rule (B) “restricted opening” for my variable start games in AA50.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

If anyone is still interested in playing these, we’ve been setting up a site for PBEM play (through TripleA) for finding opponents and rating games.  If you usually play here, no need to change anything, just post that you are playing and would like your game rated in the Opponent’s Wanted Forum.  A full explanation of each rules set is also available:

http://cellargaming.com/phpbb

I would be more than willing to play anyone any of these variations via TripleA, especially 2nd Edition, Omaha (3rd edition) and Utah (3rd edition Russia Restricted) – PM me if you are interested in playing!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m