Failed ambhib. assault what happens to the transports.

• So here is the scenario, You attack sea zone with 2 cruisers and one battleship, against a Russian sub and cruiser. You being Germany have three transports filled with six units. Russian player scrambles three planes and sinks ur fleet while losing theirs. Now my question is this in Global 1940 does Germany have to retreat and keep the transports unloaded, or can they unload into Germany since if they move back one Germany is right there. If you do not get to unload Russia is going to kill three fully loaded transports.

So my question is if you fail to clear a sea zone during a amphibious attack, you have to retreat BUT DO YOU HAVE TO STAY LOADED?

• im pretty sure you lose the loaded transports…cant retreat on an amphibious assault…but im just a noob…

• If you fail to clear the seazone, you need to retreat or you will inevitably lose the transports (transports are only automatically lost on defense).

And you cannot unload, as you cannot use a transport during both combat and noncombat phases.  So the units are trapped on board. And the units will likely die the next round, unless you have some way to defend (scramble, or naval units)

• what was the result?

russian lost sub + cruiser + 3 ftrs, you lost 2 cruisers and 1 BB?

if this is the case, then you have cleared the seazone, and my procede to land. In the rules a clear seazone is defined as a seazone with only defending transports and submerged submarines.

if there are any planes left alive, they will shot at your transports. So if forex the situation is; you have 3 trannies, he has 1 ftr, then you can chose to retreat, you can HOWEVER not unload your transports in a friendly terr. (page 22 europe rule book)

it is also worth noticing that if a ftr can scramble against and amfibious assault even if there are no defending fleet.  So you cannot only attack with transports, it was abit important when ussr could get NO for taking sardinia and sicily (then you could scramble with italian ftrs, prevening the landing no matter how many us ships was in the zone).

komiserik, you can retreat the transports, this is a seabattle, the amphibious assault is what happens IF you win the seabattle.

• @Kreuzfeld:

what was the result?

russian lost sub + cruiser + 3 ftrs, you lost 2 cruisers and 1 BB?

Russian lost sub cruiser and one ftr…so they won the sea battle and repelled the amphibious attack. So the transports retreat one space and can not unload right?

• yup

• '12

You won’t be able to move the Transports, but you can still unload them because it is a NCM for the units, not the Transport.  So if you are forced to retreat from a battle you can save your men by offloading them into any friendly territory the Transports are now adjacent to.

• @Eqqman:

You won’t be able to move the Transports, but you can still unload them because it is a NCM for the units, not the Transport.  So if you are forced to retreat from a battle you can save your men by offloading them into any friendly territory the Transports are now adjacent to.

No, that is not correct:

@Europe:

Transports can move to friendly coastal territories
    and load or offload cargo, unless they loaded, moved,
    offloaded, or were involved in combat during the Combat
    Move or Conduct Combat phase.

• '12

@P@nther:

No, that is not correct:

@Europe:

Hmm, well, if that is the real intent of the rule, they should have said OR load/offload cargo, since by saying AND they are only prohibiting offloading when the ship tries to move and offload together.

• It just means that Transports can only “act” in either CM or NCM, not in both phases.

As kcdzim stated above:

@kcdzim:

And you cannot unload, as you cannot use a transport during both combat and noncombat phases.  So the units are trapped on board. And the units will likely die the next round, unless you have some way to defend (scramble, or naval units)

• Customizer

Yeah, I have fallen into that trap before. Tried to do an amphibious assault on Japan with FOUR transports loaded with men and equipment but it required a sea battle first. I was a DUMMY and didn’t take into account scramble planes. The sea battle was a spectacular failure and I had to retreat my four transports with 1 wounded battleship for protection.
    They retreated to the sea zone by US occupied Iwo Jima, but since it was a retreat the transports could NOT unload.
    While I managed to destroy all Japanese warships, his scramble planes did survive.
    So, this battle ended with SZ 6 cleared, 1 wounded US battleship and four fully loaded US transports sitting in the sea zone by Iwo Jima, and 3 angry Japanese fighters sitting on an air base on Japan.
    Can you guess what Japan did on their next turn?

• TripleA '12

So, this battle ended with SZ 6 cleared, 1 wounded US battleship and four fully loaded US transports sitting in the sea zone by Iwo Jima, and 3 angry Japanese fighters sitting on an air base on Japan. Can you guess what Japan did on their next turn?

LOL  Ouch! That is beautiful.  :-)

• @Eqqman:

@P@nther:

No, that is not correct:

@Europe:

Hmm, well, if that is the real intent of the rule, they should have said OR load/offload cargo, since by saying AND they are only prohibiting offloading when the ship tries to move and offload together.

@Europe:

Whenever a transport offloads, it can’t move again that turn If a transport retreats, it cant offload that turn

does that help?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m