Logistical issue with attack dice…

• Sorry if this is a stupid question or if it has already been discussed on here, but our game only came with four dice (as I’m sure most/all did)… So what happens if you want to attack with six infantry units? You can’t roll them all at the same time as there are only four dice, so do you just have to roll four and then two?

Thanks!!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yes.  Just tally up the “hits” and keep rolling.

I’d recommend getting to a game store and buying about 20 more dice.  I too find it rather annoying to have to keep rerolling for 100s of infantry just because I only have 4 dice.  (Okay, fine, I have WAY more than 4 dice, but still…)

• Would have been nice to have 2 different colours too. I like rolling all attacks at once, so having 4 or 5 different colours or designs is a must for me. Like Jen, I have dice a plenty, so is not a problem.

• Ah, okay, that’s pretty much what I thought as well but the person I was playing with said that couldn’t possibly be the case. “Why wouldn’t it come with everything you need?” But we also need more of those little silver things to mark our missing infantry/tanks/fighters/etc. So… shopping it is! :)

Thank you both for your responses!

• @orangeyouglad:

“Why wouldn’t it come with everything you need?”

:lol:  I just about choked on a pop tart.  :lol:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@orangeyouglad:

Ah, okay, that’s pretty much what I thought as well but the person I was playing with said that couldn’t possibly be the case. “Why wouldn’t it come with everything you need?” But we also need more of those little silver things to mark our missing infantry/tanks/fighters/etc. So… shopping it is! :)

Thank you both for your responses!

Get some mini-roulette or poker chip sets.  They fit nicely with the stock chips (almost as if they came from the same company!)

Dice, as I said, go to a gamer store.  Lots of them have like $7 for a handful of dice (of which I swear it’s 90% d6 dice!)

@Fortress:

@orangeyouglad:

“Why wouldn’t it come with everything you need?”

:lol:  I just about choked on a pop tart.  :lol:

Serves you right for eating while being here at aa.org!  You know better, you need a moderator’s permission to sleep, eat, use the rest room or do anything away from the site!!!

(PS: I ended up buying 3 sets of the classic game just to have dice, chips and units myself.  So I totally get where both comments are coming from!)

• Customizer

@wittmann:

Would have been nice to have 2 different colours too. I like rolling all attacks at once, so having 4 or 5 different colours or designs is a must for me. Like Jen, I have dice a plenty, so is not a problem.

That’s just one more reason I love using the FMG combat dice. If you have 2 German infantry and 2 German artillery attacking 4 Russian infantry defending, you just roll 4 German and 4 Russian dice all at once and pick out all the 1s and 2s. Of course, you have to roll each attack/defense number seperately (1s, then 2s, then 3s, then 4s) but that’s okay with me. I have about 30 dice for each nation.
    What’s really cool is when you have multiple nations defending, like the British units in France or the ANZAC units in Egypt. It’s a shame you can’t have multiple nations attacking. Kind of miss that old “Commander In Chief” rule from the first edition of Classic.

• '12

I have hand me down games from several generations it seems including games that used wooden dice (actually I think I just have the wooden dice left)!  My favourite one is a single six sided dice I own.  I has the numbers 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 on it.  I love bringing it to new face to face games as a gag die.  I wonder if I can use it in Ottawa a second time this April evil grin, but only as a gag of course.  If you ever see anyone using a tan dice to roll for the AA, look really closely at it!

• Customizer

I have seen games with wooden dice before. I used to go to a lot of garage sales and a couple of times I saw some wooden dice. Once was actually in some old game and another time they were in a mixed up lot of random game pieces.
    I’ve never seen any dice with just 1-2-3-1-2-3 before. Man, tanks and cruisers would be invincible.

• '12

Pity I only have one of those dice, looks a bit suspicious when I roll for 9 tanks and 3 planes using only 1 die at a time and get a hit every time!

• Do you think it would look less suspicious if you rolled 12 at once and they were all hits?

• Customizer

You know, this sounds like a good idea. I think I will contact Jeremy at FMG and see if I can place a special order for a set of combat dice with the national symbols on ALL 6 SIDES! Those would look really cool, maybe even so cool that no one would suspect that I am cheating my way to world domination, hee hee hee hee.

• Thanks everyone!

Also, yes, knp, that is an AWESOME idea!

• You could just buy a couple more A&A games and put all the dice together…

In the more extreme case like myself, who owns every version of A&A, I have over 150 dice with 5 different colors.  Soon to be a lot more with 1914…

• I not only have the national FMG dice.  But I saw some A&A Game Pic posts from someone a couple years ago & he had these really cool looking National symbol dice w/ different color scheme variations like USA was a dark green w/ mottled black throughout w/ a star symbol, the Brits had this kind of marbled blue/red dice w/ the Union Jack symbol, etc.  & they all had a rounded corner, instead of the basic square corners.

They looked so cool, so I emailed him & found out he had them made special by “Chessex Dice” for his A&A games with all different color schemes he picked out & had the national symbols of each nation put on them.

So I emailed Chessex & had them make up a set for me, 12dice per Nation.  I think they cost about $1 per die, but I think thats what FMG charges as well.  So check them out, you can pick any color scheme you want & they put the Nation symbol on it–very cool looking  :-D

• A longistical issue with the dice! Nope.

I got an issue with the cardboard counters.
    It was and is insanely difficult to pick them
    Up and count how many men/counters are
    Actually there

• Customizer

If you can still find a cheap one, buy a copy of 2009’s AA Spring 42 and throw in a copy 1941 and keep both games in one box. Voila! you have the game with no shortage of parts and when your noobs are ready they can advance to the next level.

• '14 '13

@El:

So I emailed Chessex & had them make up a set for me, 12dice per Nation.  I think they cost about $1 per die, but I think thats what FMG charges as well.  So check them out, you can pick any color scheme you want & they put the Nation symbol on it–very cool looking  :-D

El Lobo,

Any chance you could post a pic of the dice that you had made? I’d like to see how they look.

• yeah i have 8 dice, and dont use the ones that came with the game if i can help it cause they have rounded corners and spin all day

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m