• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The Me262

• IL-2 Sturmovic

“…the single most produced military aircraft design in all of aviation history.” according to wikipedia

il2_01_sturmovic.jpg

• The Junkers 87 better known as STUKA

ju_87_01.jpg

• Stuka. (I love the tank busting G2 version: bye bye T34s.)
    ME262 a close second.

• Mitsubishi Zero

• Ju-88- the plane that could do everything.

• '10

0 killer!

warbird12.jpg

• B-17 hands down. could take an extraordinary amount of damage and still bring its crews home safely. plus with later models having 13 browning .50 cal machine guns, could deal a good amount of damage as well.

• Customizer

Hey Guys,

There are so many VARIABLES,…So many ANSWERS. May I ask what qualities we are basing our opinions on?

Beauty
    Operational capabilities
    Rugedness
    Dependability
    Most/Least produced
    Most advanced technology
    By country
    By Theater
    By Campaign
    By Type
    Best “fit” for the situation

I’m NOT trying to be a “fun-killer” here,…but there isn’t just ONE, because the answer changes whenever you modify the question.

“Tall Paul”

p.s.—My Dad was wounded by a 500 lb. bomb dropped by a flying ME-262 he was trying to point out to his buddies. He really respects the ME-262.

His favorite aircraft is undoubtably the P-47 Thunderbolt. He once saw one attacking a German flak-tower. After taking a direct hit the P-47 staggered, then flew away. My Dad and his buddies saw something fall off of the Thunderbolt, so they went over and found two complete cylinders from the P-47’s radial engine,…yet the “Jug” still flew home. Wow!, Impressive. Dad said the XIX Air Force P-47’s saved his as* on numerous occasions. It was without a doubt, the BEST ground attack aircraft in WW2, possibly of all time.

• Liquid cooled= P-51
    Air cooled= F4U
    The P-38 is purdy, my avitar was found on a P-38
    Alot of B-17’s took a pounding and made it home….there all good!!!

• I said Zero because while its not visually cool, it was extremly cheap AND efficent (very light and fast)

• Ciao Noll. Are you sure you didn’t say Zero, because you like to be different!

• @wittmann:

Ciao Noll. Are you sure you didn’t say Zero, because you like to be different!

LoL

• '12

Spitfire for me.  Early in the war things were going poorly for the allies.  At a point in time when France fell, it was uncertain if the US would enter the war and save Britain, London was being pounded and it seems like nothing was going to stop the Nazis….a few brave men in a few airplanes seemed to save the world.  In retrospect it was many things on many fronts and levels that won the war and even had Britain fallen the end of civilization was not  at hand.  But the emotions of a commonwealth were transfixed on that event and the echos of it reverberate throughout the generations.  Many of my teachers were English x-pats, with a last name of Churchill, I was educated early and often about he battle of Britain!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Probably the P-51D. Most beautiful WWII aircraft by far… but good looks are only the start.

• Customizer

Hmmm,

First off, I must have at least twenty different answers to the many variations of this question!

After giving the matter some serious thought, as a military historian, I would have to say, my favorite WW2 aircraft would be the Douglas C-47 Skytrain that hauled the beans, bullets, & bast*rds w/parachutes that made everything else possible.

I kind of surprised myself with this answer after reading so many books about the “Jugernaught” P-47 Thunderbolts and “Whistling Death” F-4U Corsairs.

I’m certain that this isn’t the sexiest answer, and a lot of people here might be groaning now, but I feel that the C-47 in doing it’s job, made more of an impact than any other aircraft in WW2 for the allies.

And remember, General George S. Patton, a serious TANK expert, said the same thing about the 2-1/2 ton truck!

I’d love to “discuss” all of the different variables included in this question. Such as Fighter, Bomber, American, German, most effective, most feared, fastest, etc., etc, etc.

“Tall Paul”

GXB13320.jpg

Well, as far as favorite goes… it is a matter of opinion and really not based on any particular set of variables.

Paul: Is the C-47 your favorite plane? Disregarding what you think of its historical impact… is it your favorite?

• Customizer

LHoffman.

NO!

The C-47 is definately not my favorite WW2 aircraft. I simply answered the question using ONE of the many variables available,…HISTORICAL IMPACT.

The P-51 Mustang was a beautiful aircraft, the P-47 Thunderbolt was a rugged and destructive S.O.B., the F-4U Corsair was a Zero-shredder, the ME-262 was a fearsome-looking design, etc., etc. Another “pretty” design that comes to mind is the Japanese Dinah. Very sleek and pretty lines on this aircraft. Somewhat reminiscent of the HE-111’s clean-flowing design, only better.

Having read and studied some 4,000+ books on WW2 I must admit to having SEVERAL FAVORITES.

I ententionally hoped to provoke some intelligent and interesting discussion on this far-ranging topic. We can all learn from others that may have experinced or read something we have yet to do.

“Tall Paul”

Oh, okay. I just thought I’d ask because 99.9% of people would name a plane that is considered a combat/attack aircraft, as opposed to an air transport. I won’t judge your choice… just making sure it is your favorite.

• @LHoffman:

Oh, okay. I just thought I’d ask because 99.9% of people would name a plane that is considered a combat/attack aircraft, as opposed to an air transport. I won’t judge your choice… just making sure it is your favorite.

My friend Tall Paul is a philoslopher.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m