Best opening Russian move with added 2 Inf.

• With the new balanced set up suggested by Krieg, is the best Russian opener 9 Inf against West Russia’s 3 German Inf ( leaving one Inf in Karelia and one in Russia)? Then a second attack of 3 Inf, both Tks and the Ft against the Ukraine’s 5 German units?
    Tried it once. I like it.
    Russia needs 2 territories to get to 9 IPCs, so they can make 3 Inf. I realise attacking Scandinavia is an easier option than the Ukraine, but I like the chance to kill tanks when possible. Germany starts with 5 in Europe and I have ended games with those 5 still alive!
    Just played Turn 1 in 20 mins. What a laugh!

• perhaps russia can succeed in attacking and conquering of manchuria with limited casualties?

• Nice one Frontovik. Never occurred to me. My mind is fixated on the RussoGerman conflict and I am blinded by it.
    That attack with the Fighter and the attack on Western Russia, using both Tanks is another option. Japan could kill the Ft sitting alone in Siberia, unless you landed in NW China and moved two Inf from Caucasus in.
    Have you tried it then?

• Now it’s Turn 2, we both agree my idea for Russian opener is far too risky. Cannot remember when Moscow usually fell pre-balance changes, but it could fall on G3 this way.
    Will try yours next time Fronovik.

• Hey wittmann.

yes, the Inf rush of W. Russia and the rest going ukraine is the best move in my opinion (Though i don’t leave a unit in karelia, archangle). You get overwhelming odds in W. Russia and you’ll be in a great position after you take it (Germany, unless they ignore the British navy won’t have enough forces to safely take you on). However, don’t invade Ukraine, go in, do one die roll, then retreat. So far, being aggresive has given me the best results. In one game I even had the mighty motherland come roaring back her R1 attacks were so great. On R4 she blitzed all of her territory back, took W. Russia, Ukraine, and next thing you know a giant horde of ruskies is invading E. Europe and frtiz called it quits. Oh, and Moscow falling on G3 was the norm in the vanilla set up rules.

As tempting as it is the Manchuria attack is to risky with to low of a chance of pay off. It’s a bother for japan if it succedes, but nothing that’s going to slow them down unless you are going a major KJF strat with the UK and US. And if it fails, as it often does, then that’s just that many units you have less for the ostfront. The best with this one is to pull back the Siberian units, and the oppertunity usually presents itself for these units to make a daring counter attack into China on R3-R4. With the only IPC values being in China, it is effective to do air buys for UK’s India IC and simply use the close lines of attack for the Russians to do counter attacks into china when they get the chance.

if you really want to use russia to help against Japan, take EVERY SINGLE UNIT, and just swarm east. It is hilarious to see the look on the axis players face to see Moscow abandoned and the Russians steam rolling the Japanese. and the best part is, Russia is such a sad prize industrial points wise, if it somehow works (probably won’t) Then UK and US can take on Germany assuming they carve up Japans territories and defend their own.

• Thank you for that.
    My wife played as the Allies and tried the Manc attack. We both decided we did not like it, so we undid it and moved the 3 Inf west after G1. (Meant her Ft did not attack as we cancelled the Manc move, so she prob lost more Inf against West Russia than would have otherwise.)
    She would have been happy just attacking one territory: West Russia.
    I want two attacks!
    I am set up for a G4 Sealion:have a 50/50 I think.
    I am not sure she can beat me as the Allies, even with the 3 new units.
    Oh well!

• Yeah, the game still favors the axis more I would say, just gives the allies a better chance. I’ve played 9 games with the new set up and 4 have been allied victories…though granted 1 win and 1 loss were me doing the Ruissia all in on Japan  :-D.

But yeah, you can make two attacks as Russia, it’s just not advised to actually occupy the Ukraine (in my opinion). I’m sure more things can be worked out. I still haven’t shucked the fighter to defend Eygpt on R1…guess i should probably try that out lol. As I do consider the battle in Eygpt one of the most important in the first cycle of turns.

• I agree about Egypt.  That is why the US Destroyer is so important an addition. I have played twice and both times my Sub has been sunk and the US DD has dropped its load in Africa, so slowing down Germany’s eastward advance.
    If the Allies lose Egypt, India is next.

• Yeah, and if they win it, then the allies suddenly have a capable strike force to use wherever they deem fit.

• r1 assault on west russia and manchuria. the caucasus tank can reach. then you need to bunker in very well with russia, cause you needed those troops to hold the line (some kind of suicide, agreed). This can be combined with assaulting Vietnam from India (no big fan, but it’s possible). I want to try KJF next game.

• Might be worth it Frontovik. We just thought it  left Russia too open.

• trust me, I have spent nearly every game trying to figure out how to kill Japan first. It’s a pain, and really hard to pull off. So far, the only true success I’ve had is just bum rushing the japanese player with all of Russia and it just threw them off their game. The problem is the japanese navy is just so freaking huge, that they can survive without mainland Asia for some time before the US and UK can even start to reach her home territory. It’s imperative that you shuck fighters to Australia if you really want to go KJF

• last game i played, the brits landed in the baltic sea in eastern europe, reinforced by some americans (especially figs!) after which the russians consolidated it from West-Russia. sounds like decent plan to me :)

• That actually sounds like it might work.

At what turn did you do the landing?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m