• After absolutely sucking out on a tech roll that was literally the only thing that could save me, with three sixes, I started wondering why each six didn’t entitle you to a tech breakthrough. It has to have been at least 10 years since I bought any tech rolls, but I could’ve sworn it used to be that way in Classic.

In any case, it didn’t matter, as I got the 1 in 6 chance I needed on the breakthrough chart and got my long-range aircraft.

But, afterward, I was kind of wondering why I didn’t get 2 more rolls. Those long-range aircraft would’ve been pretty snazzy if they were jets, too, at a 40% chance.

• Sponsor

How did long range aircraft “save you”?, I might understand if you got heavy bombers, but you must not have been that bad off if you liked the 1 extra movement point on planes.

• He might have been able to sink some giant transport fleet that was unguarded.

I too have long wondered why multiple 6s had no benefit. In one house rule of mine, multiple 6s allowed you to re-roll your random tech selection.

And actually, I have thought for a while you should get a random tech on 5, and you get to pick your tech on 6

• Customizer

In Classic you used to be able to get more than 1 tech per turn. If you got lucky and rolled more than 1 six, then you got more than 1 tech. Heck, if you were really lucky you could fill out the whole tech chart in one turn.

However, since Avalon Hill started putting out A&A, they changed it to you can only get 1 tech breakthrough per turn, no matter how many 6s you manage to roll.

I like Grasshopper’s idea where you buy researchers for one tech on one turn and if you are unsuccessful, next turn you might buy researchers for a different tech and you can roll for both techs and develop them both on the same turn.

• For a while now I have also been thinking that the chart could/should be

1-2 Nothing happens
    3-5 Tech Token (free roll next turn)
    6 Breakthrough

• @oztea:

For a while now I have also been thinking that the chart could/should be

1-2 Nothing happens
    3-5 Tech Token (free roll next turn)
    6 Breakthrough

Even though we have our own house rules for tech, I kinda like this one oztea.

• @Young:

How did long range aircraft “save you”?, I might understand if you got heavy bombers, but you must not have been that bad off if you liked the 1 extra movement point on planes.

My window to take Moscow was originally planned to be G8-J9. My Atlantic Wall was a complete failure in this game, though, so the Luftwaffe was decimated and whatever was rebuilt was needed to hold WGer, as western Europe was getting swamped by Allied ground troops. The Soviets were earning well, so every turn was decreasing my odds.

I had to rely on a no-air 0% G7 suicide against Moscow with a J7 follow. The G7 went better than expected in number of units killed but I couldn’t hold the landing spots (and he eliminated all Japanese ground units within striking distance of Moscow) for the Japanese planes on R7. J7 I spent my only 20 IPC (Japan was getting convoy-raided into the stone age) on rolls hoping for long-range aircraft (11% chance of hitting).

Then I eliminated all the defenders in Moscow with my Japanese air while I swept out the one territory I could with my Japanese ground forces, forming a cute little spot for my one remaining German tank left on the board to take a now undefended Moscow.

Without sucking out on that 11% chance, it was time to concede.  As it is, it’s still a battle to hold the 8th VC for a turn. But the Axis have a chance now, and they didn’t before.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m