• Sponsor

I need suggestions and advice for a set of house rules I’m creating for A&A G40 2ndE. I would like to first begin with refining the following ideas with simple solutions.

1. Neutral Blocks
    2. Research Centers
    3. Technology
    4. Victory Conditions

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Neutral Blocks- Allow 5th column influencing of strict neutrals to pro Axis or pro allies, sort of like tech….pay and roll. check my files for this idea… Basically if you capture the adjacent area, you get a +1 modifier. Also, pro neutrals allow repair of warships. lastly, neutrals get real armies, not just infantry.
    2. Research Centers- use same idea you created 15 IPC one roll each turn free, except the turn you obtain tech.
    3. Technology- get rid of the silly ones that were created after revised. Invent 6 new ones that actually are technology…Freaking war bonds is not technology.
    4. Victory Conditions–IPC total, separate conditions for USSR and Japan/Germany-Italy

• Sponsor

@Imperious:

1. Neutral Blocks- Allow 5th column influencing of strict neutrals to pro Axis or pro allies, sort of like tech….pay and roll. check my files for this idea… Basically if you capture the adjacent area, you get a +1 modifier. Also, pro neutrals allow repair of warships. lastly, neutrals get real armies, not just infantry. Seems vauge, can you provide a link to your ideas.2. Research Centers- use same idea you created 15 IPC one roll each turn free, except the turn you obtain tech. I agree.3. Technology- get rid of the silly ones that were created after revised. Invent 6 new ones that actually are technology…Freaking war bonds is not technology. I would rather change the term to something like “Fortunes of War” rather than tie our hands with just “tech type” bonuses.4. Victory Conditions–IPC total, separate conditions for USSR and Japan/Germany-Italy I guess I need to draw up a couple of drafts for this one, I will think of something this weekend and get feed back than.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

1. Well the Neutral Negotaitions was Der Kuenstler’s Idea…  And the modifier for adjacent countries was my idea, supplemented with make sense rules by IL (Who created a similar ruleset for AA50 previously).

So call it a group creation

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27446.0

3. Tech definetly could seem some ipmrovements,  there is something like 8397493789 posts/threas by IL on the subject, and I would argue he has the best vision of what some of this should be, it’s up to you to choose what you like.

4.  Look here, it’s where we started some discussion
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20480.0;

I believe on Harris Game Design, I started a discussion about this too that caught some good results.

• Sponsor

Thanks, I will explore those links later tonight.

• Research & Development Sequence:
    1. Buy researcher tokens
    2. Roll research dice
    3. Roll breakthrough die
    4. Mark development

Step 1: Buy Researcher Tokens
    Each researcher token costs 5 IPC�s.

Step 2: Roll Research Dice
    For each researcher you have, roll one die.

-Success: If you roll at least one “6”, you have successfully made a technological breakthrough.  Discard all your researcher tokens and continue to step 3.

-Failure: If you do not roll a “6”, your research has failed.  Keep your researcher token and continue to the Purchase Units phase of the turn. On each subsequent turn the success becomes easier and is reduced by one each turn: 6, 5,4,3,2, and eventually it is automatic.

Step 3: Roll Breakthrough Die
    If you succeed on any research die, you choose any technology within the 1st tier. Additional technology research applied to the same tech category can go to a higher technology as long as you got at least one tech. For example: If you want a technology that is 3rd tier in land technology, you must have at least one 1st tier and one 2nd tier tech in that same category.

Step 4: Mark Development
    If your research was successful, place one of your national control markers inside the appropriate advancement box on the research & development chart.  Your development becomes effective immediately. Any number of powers may develop the same technology, but powers cannot share their technology.

Land Technology:
    Tier #1:
    � Mobile Warfare Doctrine- Infantry matched with a Tank attack at 2 at a 1:1 basis.
    � Logistical efficiency- Total up your adjusted placement capabilities of all your factories. This total is the value in land units (in IPC) that may be transferred to any other contiguously connected land territories traced to your home factory. Example: German player can place 13 units, so 3 infantry and 1 Artillery totally in 13 IPC can be transferred to any controlled territory as long as it can trace an unbroken line back to Germany.
    Tier #2:
    � Self-Propelled Artillery- You may now build these units.
    � Partisans- You may make up to 3 special attacks this turn against an enemy occupied territory, rolling a 1 for a hit. You cannot save up these attacks but you can make all of them in one territory.
    Tier #3:
    � Heavy Tanks- You may now build these as 4-4-2-8 armor units.
    � Prepared Defenses- Artillery rolls first for the defense. If they roll a one, one attacking unit is removed from play and does not fire back. If they roll a two, the hit is allocated in the normal fashion.
    Sea Technology:
    Tier #1:
    � Naval ASW- Cruisers are now ASW units and have the same rules as destroyers with regard to submarine interactions. Both negate at 1:1 basis.
    � AA Cruisers: If your Cruisers roll a one on defense, an attacking plane can be selected as a loss.
    Tier #2:
    � Sonar- Destroyers now have a first strike against subs if subs are present.
    � Super Battleships- your existing battleships attack and defend at 5 and they always fire preemptively in combat each turn (loses removed before they fire back) for either attack or defense.
    Tier #3:
    � Improved Carriers- Carriers now take 2 hits and have a 3 fighter capacity. Damaged carriers can still defend with planes, but cannot launch attacks on naval units until repaired. They can launch their planes for land attacks only if damaged.
    � Super Subs- Your subs now defend at 2 and attack at 3.

Air Technology:
    Tier #1:
    � Radar- any fighters you have defending and not under attack can assist adjacent territories prior to the start of combat rolls. They act immediately in these battles.
    � Naval Radar- At the start of naval combat the defending player who has this technology can attempt to avoid combat and move into an adjacent space. Roll a 1-2= success (your defending ships retreat and no combat occurs), 3-6= failure (combat continues normally).
    Tier #2:
    � Long Rang Aircraft- Aircraft now moves 2 extra spaces.
    � Air ASW- Aircraft can now attack submarines without the need for a Destroyer (or Cruiser with naval ASW technology).
    Tier #3:
    � Jet Fighters- The attack value of your fighters is now 4 and the defense is 5.
    � Carpet Bombing- On the first round all air units rolling a one can select defending land units hit. Further combats are handled normally.
    Tier #4:
    � Heavy Bombers- roll two dice = pick the best result and apply to SBR. Also, Bombers also now attack at 5 or less and defend at 2 or less.
    � Rockets- Your antiaircraft guns are now also rocket launchers. In addition to its normal combat function, during the strategic bombing raid step of your Conduct Combat phase each turn, each of your antiaircraft guns can make a single rocket attack against an enemy industrial complex within 3 spaces of it. This flak level for this is not regarded and each AA gun gets one roll.
    Tier #5:
    � Atomic Bomb- Each Atomic Bombs costs 10 IPC and only one can be made each turn. When dropped no AA roll is made. Effects: 3 dice of variable damage and one die of permanent damage. The first turn this can be developed is turn 7. Prerequisite: Heavy Bombers technology.

Production Technology:
    Tier #1:
    � War Bonds- add one die to IPC total each turn.
    � Rosie the Riveter- Every two non-infantry land units bought gets you a -1 IPC discount in cost.
    Tier #2:
    � Underground factories- SBR hits count at � value rounded down.
    � Research Talent Pool- Future research costs are now reduced to 4 IPC each.

Tier #3:
    � Shipyards- subs, transports, destroyers cost one less IPC, all other ships cost two less IPC.
    � Total War- The first land or air unit built (by type) costs -1

Procedure: allocate researcher to develop a tier #1 technology in any of three categories. Once you have developed a technology you can choose one of the two choices. If you elect to develop further research in the same category and succeed, you may then either elect to choose a Tier #2 technology or pick something from a LOWER tier technology.
    Eventually, you can get to a tier #3 technology and chose any lower tech.

Here is something to get you started. Note that this was made for AA50, before i became disillusioned with the OOB Technology. Right now i cringe when i see some of them. For things like Radar, it would be like something simple like allowing scrambling from one land area to adjacent land area ( currently not allowed, only into sea zones allowed).

Start with tech, then get into other areas or the thread will not progress well.  I will dig up some other things as you move along.

• Pro and Strict Neutrals:
    Neutrals that are listed as Pro-Axis or Pro-Allies can be swayed to enter the war as follows: Pay three times the IPC value and roll one D6 each turn until a SIX result is obtained. However, you must control at least one adjacent land territory before and as long as you obtain this roll. The IPC value of these areas is only taken for occupation of these territories.
    Strict Neutrals always remain neutral unless attacked. If they are attacked they immediately become allied to the other side. The IPC value of these areas is only taken for occupation of these territories.
    Attacking a strict neutral only activates other strict neutrals within 2 spaces of the invaded neutral. Vichy France is a special case. It is strict neutral; however, axis units may fly over or move thru these areas without triggering any change. Also, an attack from any player results in only war with the area under attacked; all other Vichy areas still remain neutral. Vichy Naval forces in Dakar are frozen unless French West Africa is attacked by either side.

Vichy France:
    When Paris falls, all French units are removed from play and the following areas are now considered a new pro-axis neutral entity and a new setup as follows:

Southern France: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, 1 Naval Base
    Morocco: 1 Infantry
    Algeria: 1 Infantry
    Syria: 1 Infantry
    French West Africa: 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer, 1 Submarine, 1 Naval Base
    Madagaskar: 1 Infantry

All other former French areas not listed or occupied by axis forces are automatically British controlled and they collect the IPC.

• TOTAL WAR Victory Conditions.

1. Axis win if they occupy 8 victory cites on the Europe map, or 6 victory cities on the Pacific map for an entire round. 
      No axis power may surrender to any foreign power under any circumstances.

2. Communism (Soviet Union, China) wins if the Soviet union controls all originally Soviet territories, plus Warsaw, Berlin, Finland, Hungary, Rumania, Yugoslavia and Bulgaria for an entire round, and China also has control of Kiangsu and Manchuria.

3. Democracy (USA, UK, ANZAC, France) wins if Berlin, Rome, and Tokyo are occupied by communist or democratic powers for an entire round, and Communism has NOT achieved its victory conditions.

WORLD WAR III
    Any democratic or communist power may declare TOTAL WAR at any time. After such a declaration, the war shall be referred to as World War III and will continue until the above Axis victory conditions are met (Axis win), or until the fall of Moscow (Democracy win) or Washington (Communist win).  No side may surrender to any foreign power under any circumstances.  They will fight on until the last.

• Unless you have a Chinese communist faction, then China isn’t part of the Comintern.

• Why cant you sway strict neutrals?

• IL, I never liked that tech chart of yours because it is lopsided towards air.
      Make atomic bomb a separate, special tech you can research if you have at least 2 techs in every other branch.
      And even out all the branches to 3 tiers or 4 tiers. I’m obsessive compulsive and cant handle it.

• Here is a spin I took at tech tiers.

Tech Map.jpg

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Even if you play with the United States, it seems like you have barely enough money (or turns) to research more than two or three times in a single game. Do you have modified rules to allow for easier access to tech research?

I mean, I have always liked research, and I love some of the ideas put forth here, but based on experience, I cannot see even a quarter of these ideas being used in an actual game. There just isn’t enough money.

One free research per turn for each of the 6 major powers? Ability to get more than one per turn?

• I had an idea for tech that was a little different.

The cost of a roll in any tier is [2x the number of the tier]
    Rolls for tier 1 techs cost 2 IPCs
    Rolls for tier 2 techs cost 4 IPCs
    Rolls for tier 3 techs cost 6 IPCs
    Rolls for tier 4 techs cost 8 IPCs

You could roll multiple times, in multiple charts, but you could never roll more dice than your powers research capability (Number of factories you have + number of victory cities you control)

When you get a breakthrough, its basically a coin flip of what tech you are going to get on that tier. 1-3 Tech A, 4-6 Tech B

I wasn’t sure if you would be allowed to jump tiers or not.
    The rule was, at the time that you couldn roll for tier 4 techs (future tech) unless you had at least three other techs on that tree.
    (To roll on tier 4 air techs you would need 3 other air techs)

Also, most powers could start off with economic techs. Especially it’s tier 1 techs and tier 3 techs, to get their economies really moving. Then, if they wanted, roll for tier 4 economic tech and get “Research Grants”. Then you would be on a roll for techs.

• IL, I never liked that tech chart of yours because it is lopsided towards air.
    Make atomic bomb a separate, special tech you can research if you have at least 2 techs in every other branch.
    And even out all the branches to 3 tiers or 4 tiers. I’m obsessive compulsive and cant handle it.

The only reason why i posted that was because it was easy to find. I revised that thing like 20 times in 4 years.

I just wanted him to see the concept of tiered technology, which you employ as well.

They are not the same and probably should not cost the same, but they should be regulated into similar sections ( e.g. heavy tanks, SPA)

• When it comes to tech, you really have to put it all on the table, and put it all up for grabs.

What would the war have been like if Japan researched heavy carriers?
    What would a US assault rifle have looked like?
    What if the Soviets went with a much more heavy tank design than the t-34?
    What if Germany got pretty much every tech on these charts anyway….lol
    What would a UK heavy bomber have looked like?

• I actually just really like the pictures I put on my chart. Some of the techs may be out of balance, but putting it on something you can print out and put control markers on is really helpful.

I just wish I had a little more photoshop skills and put it together as something a little more flashy.

Like if the background was more like a schematic or blueprint.

• Sponsor

For the research phase, I’ve decided to use a variation of the “research center” house rule, however, if anyone has any good modifications to it…. I’m open.

RESEARCH FACILITIES:

Any nation who is at war, who holds their own capital, and has an eligible territory, may purchase “research facilities” for $15 each during the “purchase new units phase”. During the “place new units phase” new research facilities must be placed on originally owned territories (only one per territory) with an IPC value of 3 or more.

During the “research and development phase”, each operational research facility may roll 1d6 for an opportunity to roll a 6 (only operational research facilities that are on the board during the “research and development phase” may make research rolls). If a facility rolls a 6 during research, they have made a technological breakthrough (regardless of how many facilities roll 6s, a nation may only make 1 breakthrough per round).

During a strategic bombing raid, research facilities follow all the same rules as air and naval bases, including built in AA guns, interceptor protection, and damage. However, research facilities are vulnerable to strategic bombers only.

If a research facility is captured by an enemy nation, the facility must be removed from the board. However, the invading nation may roll one research dice before destroying the facility.

• 1 question about the tech ¨Super Carriers¨

Can they hold only 1 strategic bomber, or more?

• My super carriers can hold 1 bomber, or 3 fighters/tacs

If you also have the heavy carriers tech, your carriers defend on 3 and can hold one plane while damaged (any plane they are capable of holding)

AND if you have the Nuclear propulsion tech your carriers are: 0/3/3 “can hold 3 planes, or one bomber, and can hold one plane while damaged, and can repair itself it it doesn’t move this turn”

So combining techs can make for some really unique units.

• all i have to say is:  :evil:

• @oztea:

Here is a spin I took at tech tiers.

Great stuff. I especially like adding National Objectives as a tech development; very innovative! Also liked the anti-tank, tank destroyer, and heavy tanks developments. Nice, clean rules that capture complex concepts with concision.

Is there any way that you could post it as a word document instead of a PDF? If you wouldn’t mind, I’d like to use it as a template for sharing some techs of my own…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m