• Several months ago I stumbled across Panzer Painter and Chad’s examples of what they’ve done with their pieces and it inspired me to paint my own. I’d also seen that people had magnetized their Aircraft Carriers, Tac-Bombers and Fighters. As well as mounted their Heavy Bombers on little platforms. In my opinion, absolutely brilliant. I looked over all the topics here and couldn’t find a ‘how to’, so I ask, how the hell did you do it?
    I’ve tried 2 methods: Firstly, Magnetic adhesive tape, problem I had with this was that I couldn’t cut it to fit the tops of my AC’s in a way I liked, or found appealing. I couldn’t make it look like anything but half-assed and amateur.
    Secondly, Magnetic Paint, Problem I had with this was that I couldn’t get a strong enough connection between the top of the AC and the plane bottoms. I’m thinking the problem is surface area with some of the fighters. The can said it requires 3 coats to get the proper effect, I stopped after 7.
    Can anyone save me some time and tell me how they did theirs? And equally important, where they got what was needed. I haven’t experimented with the Heavy Bombers yet because I’ve been busy painting, as well, frankly pretty disappointed that I haven’t made the AC’s turn out how I want. But I’m also not sure what method to use to do this either. Some look like a simple rubber half sphere, the type of thing you would see under a glass table top, with a finishing nail driven through. Others I’m not sure. But if anyone could shed some light on this it’d be much appreciated as well.

Sincerely,

Carnage

• Get yourself some tiny Rare Earth magnets off ebay (I bought 100 3mm x 1mm magnets for $1.50 shipping included from China).  These things will attract each other from about 1-2 inches apart and they’re super small.

Drill a couple small holes in the bottoms of your carriers.  Try to get near the landing pad but not go through it.  Place a magnet inside the hole (using superglue to get it to stick).  Alternatly you can drill a hole in the top for the magnet to go into and fill it with some sort of epoxy filler and paint over.

Drill a small hole in the bottom of your aircraft and place a magnet in that hole with superglue.

Super magnetized aircraft/carriers!

Just one word of warning … make sure you have the polarity correct on them!  If they’re reversed you’ll end up with fighters that just want to fly away from the carrier instead of landing on it!

• I was thinking of doing this myself.  I was going to place a magnet under the carriers in the void space and then superglue a ferrous metal wire to the underside of the planes.  Has anyone tried this.  Is it not enough to make the planes stick?

• '18 Customizer

@dinosaur:

I was thinking of doing this myself.  I was going to place a magnet under the carriers in the void space and then superglue a ferrous metal wire to the underside of the planes.  Has anyone tried this.  Is it not enough to make the planes stick?

Ive never tried it but I think it will work. You will need those 3mm hobby magnets, not sure if they are Rare Earth or not. They do an excellent job at holding tank turrets in place so its not a stretch to think they will work in your application.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m