What was the actual release date of 1941 and 1942 second edition?

• Customizer

After all the release date confusion, I’m wondering if it was ever cleared up?  Which game released first, 1941 or 1942 second edition?

I’m curious because I have to name one of them “ww2v5” and the other one “ww2v6”

classic is ww2v1
    revised is ww2v2
    aa50 is ww2v3
    spring 1942 is ww2v4

who is ww2v5 and who is ww2v6 ??

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

1942 should be ww2v4 and replace the one currently existing.  make it ww2v4 SE if you must.

1941 should be ww2v5

• @Gargantua:

1942 should be ww2v4 and replace the one currently existing.  make it ww2v4 SE if you must.

1941 should be ww2v5

Why replace? It’s like a different game - but I second on ww2v4 SE if possible; it’s easier to identify.
    And ww2v5 for 1941 is fine, too.

• Customizer

it has to be a new ZIP because the map has changed

I do not kill old maps just because there is a newer version.  1942 SE isn’t just some errata; it is a new game

• @Veqryn:

After all the release date confusion, I’m wondering if it was ever cleared up?   Which game released first, 1941 or 1942 second edition?

1941 was originally supposed to be released a few weeks before 1942 2nd ed, but it was later moved to the same release date, so both games officially came out on the same day. Â

WW2 V4
    WW2 V4 SE
    WW2 V5

or

WW2 V5 Forty One

Just to make it stand out a bit.

• @Veqryn:

After all the release date confusion, I’m wondering if it was ever cleared up?   Which game released first, 1941 or 1942 second edition?

I’m curious because I have to name one of them “ww2v5” and the other one “ww2v6”

classic is ww2v1
    revised is ww2v2
    aa50 is ww2v3
    spring 1942 is ww2v4

who is ww2v5 and who is ww2v6 ??

Veqryn, the reason I chose v5 for Spring 42 2nd Ed is that it was the one I decided to convert first and it wouldn’t make much sense to have a v6 before a v5. At the same time since they are two editions of the same game it would be more logic to have them numbered one after the other.
    Also, the current list above already doesn’t follow A&A because AA50 and AA1941 are considered to be a separate games than Classic/Revised/AA42.1/AA42.2, like Pacific/Europe/Global. So to me it doesn’t really matter which one is v5/v6, especially since they ended up being released on the same date.

ww2 V4 SE is a must.

V5 implies a TOTALLY different version, as opposed to edition…

• Customizer

i am merely going to pick whichever name generates the least confusion from regular non-expert people

World War II v4 1942 SE
    or
    World War II v5 1942
    or
    World War II v5 1942 SE

• TripleA

Veqryn v4 is already the bastardized revised.

So you should call it v5 to avoid confusion

1941 v5

1942 v5.

• @Veqryn:

i am merely going to pick whichever name generates the least confusion from regular non-expert people

World War II v4 1942 SE

This is the most confusing because the maps are different but I’d assume it would just be a variation of the v4 and not that it needed to be downloaded.

It’s the SE of V4  If you call it V5 that implies a DIFFERENT version - this will blow everyone’s mind.

V2 is Revised - is it not?  Why the HELL would it be V4?  Revised certainly didn’t come out after V3 Anniversary.

V4

and label this one V4 SE

Done.

V5 is 1941.

• @Gargantua:

It’s the SE of V4  If you call it V5 that implies a DIFFERENT version - this will blow everyone’s mind.

V2 is Revised - is it not?  Why the HELL would it be V4?  Revised certainly didn’t come out after V3 Anniversary.

V4 and V5 are further apart than V2 and V4 are.

First, the map is still based on v2 but it has been completely redrawn in many areas (Atlantic, South Pacific, Europe, Asia, Africa), where the v4 map only differs from v2 by adding Formosa, Iceland and redrawing SZ64. Second the ruleset is not V3/V4 since it includes brought by the final Global alpha, namely the 6 IPC tank cost and the new AAGuns and ICs.
    Third, the strategies between v2 and v4 may not vary much (1/2 out of 10 games you see a KJF, the rest are KGF) but on v5 so far this seems to have changed a lot. The starting forces on V5 had several new units added (the ICs on India and Karelia, for instance) from V4, and again, it changed more than from V2 to V4.

Spring 1942 1st Ed and 2nd are really two very different editions. But if you want to name it V4 SE, then the same logic should also be applied to V2/V4 to make a coherent numbering:
    V1 Classic (all editions)
    V2 Revised
    V2 Spring 1942 (currently v4)
    V2 Spring 1942 2nd Ed. (v5)
    V3 Anniversary
    V4 1941 (currently v6)

I believe the argument of what comes first or next isn’t the most relevant. V2 and V4 have essentially the same map but the rule changes brought by V3 made it necessary to name it as v4 rather than calling it ‘V2 Spring 1942’. The same way, the map changes and the rules brought from Global make it apart from V4, so it should have either a different name (V5 or V6) or be called V2 something.

I’ve put together the 3 different games on a single picture to show how they really are connected and separated. Top is V2, middle V4 and bottom V5.

v2 versions.png

Don’t think about the actual game, and just think about the BOX.  If the BOX is the same - and the title, and it’s categorized as a first or second edition, then it IS the same -version-, by definition.

Just like ALL editions of Classic are lumped into one category, so should Spring 1942 be. And so should Global be.

They are loosely the same map/base game, with adjusted rules.

Also, if you’re going to lump revised in with 1942, that’s the same as lumping all of them in with Classic?  Roughly similar map, same powers, same concept. Crazy!
    :(

V1 - Classic
    V2 - Revised
    V3 - Anniversary (1941)
    V3 - Anniversary (1942)
    V4 - Spring 1942
    V4 - Spring 1942 (Second Edition)
    V5 - 1941

Simple, elegant, beautiful, perfect. no?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m