• Kill every last one of the bastards!

• In our games, one side is usually further ahead than the other by the time they achieve a standard victory; thus, we usually call it after 9 VCs.

Though, Honolulu changes things; Axis no longer has to take Moscow…

• @MistuhJay:

In our games, one side is usually further ahead than the other by the time they achieve a standard victory; thus, we usually call it after 9 VCs.

Though, Honolulu changes things; Axis no longer has to take Moscow…

Yes. Honolulu changes a LOT of things. Axis merely needs to focus on taking India, Karelia and Hawaii. This pretty much either forces the US to fight on the Pacific or risk losing the game.

• @Hobbes:

Yes. Honolulu changes a LOT of things. Axis merely needs to focus on taking India, Karelia and Hawaii. This pretty much either forces the US to fight on the Pacific or risk losing the game.

Because if Japan had actually landed on Oahu, the Allies would have TOTALLY lost the war.  =)

• @MistuhJay:

Because if Japan had actually landed on Oahu, the Allies would have TOTALLY lost the war.  =)

Obviously not. The VCs are on the map to try to make the players care about the areas that were strategically/politically important to the powers at war. A standard VC victory for the Axis is a way of rewarding the player for doing much better than the Axis did in the real war, not necessarily a way of saying that a total victory would be guaranteed. Honolulu is a VC in an attempt to make the US player care enough about the Pacific theater keep the US Pacific fleet there even if he goes KGF.

• @UrJohn:

@MistuhJay:

Obviously not. The VCs are on the map to try to make the players care about the areas that were strategically/politically important to the powers at war. A standard VC victory for the Axis is a way of rewarding the player for doing much better than the Axis did in the real war, not necessarily a way of saying that a total victory would be guaranteed. Honolulu is a VC in an attempt to make the US player care enough about the Pacific theater keep the US Pacific fleet there even if he goes KGF.

Don’t get me wrong; I get that it works for gameplay purposes.  However, it just seems silly that the Allies can lose due to Hawaii falling vs. some place vastly more important (Moscow, etc.).  I think Hobbes recently posted how a game he played ended round 4 as Japan landed (and kept) Honolulu.

• @MistuhJay:

Don’t get me wrong; I get that it works for gameplay purposes.  However, it just seems silly that the Allies can lose due to Hawaii falling vs. some place vastly more important (Moscow, etc.).  I think Hobbes recently posted how a game he played ended round 4 as Japan landed (and kept) Honolulu.

Me and Paulzy haven’t finished the game yet but at the end of US4 it will be game over, unless the US liberates Karelia (very unlikely) or captures Paris (although I’m not sure if he’s aware of the rule…).

• TripleA

I would not call a VC victory a standard victory. The VC rules are always optional, it doesn’t matter what the rulebook says, the house decides how to play.

• Rather than have a bunch of VCs that count for 1 VC each, there could be a bunch of Victory Point (VP) spaces that count for a variable number of VPs each. For example Western United States, Egypt & Caucasus would all count for something. And TTs like Germany, Japan & Eastern United States would count for more than TTs like France, Kwangtung & Hawaii.

• @Cow:

I would not call a VC victory a standard victory. The VC rules are always optional, it doesn’t matter what the rulebook says, the house decides how to play.

Following this logic to its conclusion then all the rules are optional, if that is agreed upon by all players. But if all the players don’t agreed with the house rules, then they follow the rulebook (or play another game). And the rulebook says:
    “Players must agree at the beginning of the game which victory condition constitutes a win. If no specific agreement is made then nine (9) victory cities will be the standard victory condition”

You may disagree with the VC rules but unless you convince the other players to adopt a different criteria, that’s the method that it will be used.

• Customizer

It depends on how we are all feeling about the game. Sometimes we go until all of one side has been destroyed. Other times, we simply go until one side has an overwhelming majority. For example, Germany dominates Europe and Africa, Japan dominates Asia and the Pacific while USA still holds onto Washington and San Francisco. So that would be more than the standard victory but not quite total victory.

• TripleA

Following this logic to its conclusion then all the rules are optional, if that is agreed upon by all players. But if all the players don’t agreed with the house rules, then they follow the rulebook (or play another game). And the rulebook says:
    “Players must agree at the beginning of the game which victory condition constitutes a win. If no specific agreement is made then nine (9) victory cities will be the standard victory condition”

You may disagree with the VC rules but unless you convince the other players to adopt a different criteria, that’s the method that it will be used.

All rules are optional, it is a boardgame. If you play on the triple a lobby, there is a bunch of options to check. If you play a live game and people think the vc win is non conclusive or easily exploited, then you either play or you don’t, no one is forcing you to play, you do or you don’t.

If you only want to play the RAW, then you will only play those people.  When you sit down and start playing and realize, “wow 9 vcs is really easy for the axis without a big bid for the allies.” Then you will play with a bid, the axis rush for a vc win, because the allies have an income advantage so waiting is not an option and the allies try to stop it.  Maybe you don’t enjoy fighting for berlin or moscow, that is cool dawg, you can play your way, and I will play it mine.

• I don’t play with VC’s.  I play until one country falls, because once one country is gone its pretty much impossible for its ally(s) to still win.  The only time i continue a game after one country is out is if both sides take out a country at the same time.  Even then it usually will become obvious which side is going to eventually win within a few turns afterwards.

Basically you keep going until all players agree how the game is going to end.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m