• TripleA

Saw an auction on ebay for task force markers. Instead of buying them, I decided to make some of my own using poker chips and pieces from Revised (won’t be needing them anyway, since I now have 1942 2nd Ed). What do y’all think? Any other suggestions? I have four more chips. The basic idea is that you stick one on the board space that’s uber crowded, and the second one goes off the board with the miniatures next to it. For each side (Axis, Allies) there are 2 naval, 2 ground, and one air, which can be used for either ground forces or naval. The only other thought I had was to make one with a transport and a couple ground units, but I’m almost thinking that what I have now is good enough. Thoughts?

• I don’t understand this. Why not use different colored chips to identify the task forces?

For example you use the red chip with 2 tanks and artillery on the map, and have a second red chip with the large pile of pieces off to the side.

Just buy like 6 different colored chips for each nation ( total 12 per with one of each color having the pieces glued to chip)

• TripleA

I think I get what you’re saying, but I would ask you to clarify.

A couple things that I will point out, though: First, that sounds like it’s going to use up more chips than I care to buy. With what I made, I just used spare poker chips that I had lying around and revised pieces that I don’t need anymore. (plus, I already implement other colored poker chips in the game) Second, I often run into situations where I have multiple nations in the same territory/zone, so the only differentiation I made were between Axis and Allied forces.

• you only need a total of 12 chips per player and you can buy round decals .75 to place on basic chips. Each nation has 3-6 of these task force, which means 2 chips used for each task force.

red, blue, green, yellow, black, etc can be used and you got one chip with the decal and glued pieces and another by your side where you place the pile next too so they don’t clutter up the map.

They sell these decals for like $3.95 and you can find them at print shop or drug stores

• So those go on the map? Where the part that lets you put what’s suppose to be on the map on? And how to you tell what task force marker go with each task force? They look good just seems like it’s missing half of the Task Force Marker concept.

• TripleA

@Yavid:

So those go on the map? Where the part that lets you put what’s suppose to be on the map on? And how to you tell what task force marker go with each task force? They look good just seems like it’s missing half of the Task Force Marker concept.

If you notice, each marker has a twin. The point is to put one on the map and put one off the board with the pieces next to it. I was thinking about making some cards or something similar to hold the pieces on, but I’m not sure what exactly I want to do with that.

• @mastermind93:

@Yavid:

So those go on the map? Where the part that lets you put what’s suppose to be on the map on? And how to you tell what task force marker go with each task force? They look good just seems like it’s missing half of the Task Force Marker concept.

If you notice, each marker has a twin. The point is to put one on the map and put one off the board with the pieces next to it. I was thinking about making some cards or something similar to hold the pieces on, but I’m not sure what exactly I want to do with that.

aahhh ok i get it now. I’m a cheapo so I would set the other half on an index card and the units on the card with it. Overall I like them alot. oh and each nation only gets 3? one army, one airforce, one naval? is that correct?

• TripleA

@Yavid:

aahhh ok i get it now. I’m a cheapo so I would set the other half on an index card and the units on the card with it. Overall I like them alot. oh and each nation only gets 3? one army, one airforce, one naval? is that correct?

If you’re cheap like that, I just thought of something else you could do. Just use those handy setup cards.  :P  In answer to your question: no, they are not nation specific. I didn’t have that many poker chips handy, or I probably would have. The only distinction I made was between sides (eg. one set for the axis and one for the allies). Each side has two land groups, two naval, and one air (to be used if you need/want three of land or sea).

Yeah, I used to use those task force markers that came with revised, but I wanted something that looked cooler. Later, I decided to get rid of the pieces that came with revised. And then last week I saw some stuff on Ebay with task force markers, and I decided to make my own. I’m glad you like them, though.

• What’s wrong with my index cards? $.99 for 100 most of the time less than that. Sure they don’t look cool and sexy but they have a job to do and looking good isn’t it. I do like you task force markers they look good.

• If you’re interested I’ve put together some neat looking task force graphics and made them available as a free download on historicalboardgaming.com. Go to maps/ww2/accessories and download. Been usin this concept for years and works well.

• TripleA

Already downloaded them. They look pretty cool. What I’m really wanting, though, is something a little more universal. In other words, I want something that is not nation-specific, kind of like the markers that came with Revised (2004), but looks a lot better.

Also, for those following this thread, I learned the hard way that plastic model cement does not work well with A&A pieces. The pieces started coming off without a problem, while the glue had just melted through the poker chips. (All who have used plastic model cement in the past know what I’m talking about) So I don’t have any more poker chips to use, and I’m still stuck with all my Revised pieces and no task force markers.  Oh well…

• These look very cool, but why are your ships pointed in different directions?

• Customizer

We had the same frustration about small territories and sea zones that see huge forces. What I did was buy doll house men at the craft store. They look like big chess pawns. They were $5 for ten but you could easily use a dollar store chess set and use the pawns. I painted them 10 different colors and made two strips the width of the Global board and painted 5 boxes on each strip corresponding to the 10 pawn colors. Whenever we see a large force in a crowded territory we place the forces in the box and place the pawn in the territory.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

If you’re interested I’ve put together some neat looking task force graphics and made them available as a free download on historicalboardgaming.com. Go to maps/ww2/accessories and download. Been usin this concept for years and works well.

These are seriously cool.

But I like what Most Holy uses.  It’s cool having chess pieces on the board. ;)

• TripleA

@Gargantua:

These are seriously cool.

But I like what Most Holy uses.  It’s cool having chess pieces on the board. ;)

I do like that idea, now that you mention it. I had previously used the Task force markers from revised, and I was looking for an easier to spot, better alternative to use. My idea fell through (A&A pieces are too cool to be contained by plastic hobby glue), but I think the chess-piece one sounds cool. Queen to Moscow… checkmate?  :P

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m