• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

So, I go to my friendly neigborhood local game store to grab some War at Sea boosters and thought I’d check and see if they had 41 and 42 revised for sale.  I head back to the board game section and low and behold there they are.  I notice the price on 41…$65!
    I thought that was a pretty stiff price so I gotta see what 42 revised is going for…$30.

My first thought was “Oh nice!  I’m gonna snag this 42 revised and save a bunch of loot.”
    I knew right away that some rookie in the back got the prices mixed (THAT’S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU RELEASE TWO DIFFERENT GAMES ON THE SAME DAY LARRY!)

Anyway, I just couldn’t take advantage, so I let the lady up front know about the mix up and she was pretty grateful.  I already received both games from cool stuff so no biggie for me.  If this was Target or Wal-mart, I would have grabbed them all and gave them to back to the people, like Bane in Batman, “Take back your Axis and Allies people of Gotham!”

Good karma however, I got the HMS Prince of Wales in one of my navy boosters and that’s one I’ve been needing for a while.

• Customizer

You’re a good man and Karma smiled upon you with your little hms hoojack. Now the proper thing to follow up is to check Walmart and Target for the same mix up and stick it to those evil bastards!

• TripleA

hmm interesting.

I would have done the same thing, but only because I have no interest in buying a 1942 board lol. I am probably going to buy a 2nd 1941 board, my friend hates that I sharpeed in the map to make a ghetto 1942 board.

“MAN HOW CAN WE PLAY 1941 WITH THIS SHARPEE STUFF?!?!” he screamed lol. He is all OCD about it. He don’t mind playing 42 because it is all sharpeed in, but he just can’t ignore the sharpee lines for 41.

• Cow that does sound pretty ghetto I’m not gonna lie, I don’t blame your friend lol.  You can get the game for 55 shipped from CoolStuff and then just sell the pieces and keep the map.

• Customizer

That’s not going to help him see the borders. I had my first 42 map blown up at Staples and we couldn’t see the borders in Germany so I sharpeed mine as well. I’m looking at the revised map right now and thinking, damn that’s a beautiful map. Everything is very clear and even the edges where the Pacific lines up to the Atlantic is cool and straight forward. The textured look of the new maps is nice but this is a game and thus should have clearl delineated markings.

That’s so funny, I sharpie all my boards since AA50, I just can’t see the damn borders when the pieces are on it!  Just the territories in Europe and Russia, It really looks nicely defined and pretty cool.  I thought to myself at first that it was a little ghetto and shifty but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. 
    I was pretty hesitant to sharpie up my AA50 board but I’m never selling it. it’s so much easier to see the territories now.  My buddy I play with likes it better too. I swear in the first 42 game i went from Germany to Russia in two moves……oh well.

Don’t hesitate AA nation, take a few giant whiffs of that sharpie and trace away!!!

• @Most:

That’s not going to help him see the borders. I had my first 42 map blown up at Staples and we couldn’t see the borders in Germany so I sharpeed mine as well. I’m looking at the revised map right now and thinking, damn that’s a beautiful map. Everything is very clear and even the edges where the Pacific lines up to the Atlantic is cool and straight forward. The textured look of the new maps is nice but this is a game and thus should have clearl delineated markings.

I’ve been thinking revised was a beautiful board when it came out. To me it’s the best coloring of a board yet.

• TripleA

I like Imperious Leader’s new maps. They retain much of the aesthetic appeal of the newer maps, while (more) clearly defining territory borders. I have plans to print out the 1942 (2009) version.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Sharpeeing a map is sacriledge!  Why not melt your figures down and remold them into different pieces while yer at it?  Eh?  Burn some books too!  :roll: :cry:

• TripleA

@Cmdr:

Sharpeeing a map is sacriledge!  Why not melt your figures down and remold them into different pieces while yer at it?  Eh?  Burn some books too!   :roll: :cry:

I have to admit. I do agree. Especially with the Anniversary Edition…

Yea it was a tough call but once I did it, it really made the map pop, looks more like a map now.

• @Cmdr:

Sharpeeing a map is sacriledge!  Why not melt your figures down and remold them into different pieces while yer at it?  Eh?  Burn some books too!   :roll: :cry:

What are we, Germans?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Mallery29:

@Cmdr:

Sharpeeing a map is sacriledge!�  Why not melt your figures down and remold them into different pieces while yer at it?�  Eh?�  Burn some books too!�  � :roll: :cry:

What are we, Germans?

I see no difference between the German book burnings and sharpeeing the Axis and Allies Maps. :P

• Customizer

Hoorah. Karma comes back to you as you said.
    As to melting those horrendous figures, I’m all for it. In fact I’m replacing my A&A infantry with 15mm scale PSC figures
    as soon as they make British,Americans and Japanese.  :-D

I guess I could use the sharpie and give myself the 'stache.

• back on topic… No you didn’t do the right thing. The right thing would have been: Buying all of the '42 2nd games they had and giving them to me no change. But I think I understand why that didn’t occur to you, given that you don’t have my address to mail them to I guess you did the 2nd best thing.

Haha yea.  They only had one copy of each.

• I Sharpied my 1942.1 years ago through Europe. I just went through and did the same thing to my 1942.2. However, I was a little more extensive this time.

I got all of Europe, except the Spain-Gibraltar border, and I sharpied in the borders between the following SZ: 5-6, 6-7, 6-8, 7-8, 13-14. On 6-8 I crudely blued in the existing border and sharpied it in further over to make it obvious that Northwest Europe connects to SZ 8.

I figure that I’ve ruined any collector/resale value for the board, but since I plan to wear it out, I don’t really care about that.

Nice, It could have been the lighting, the pieces, or the alcohol, but everytime we played that new map style (AA50 to present) the boarders were just to hard to distinguish.  I really didn’t want to do it at first so I guinea pigged the first 42 game and I was pretty impressed.  We have never had any issues with the original Europe or Pacific boards, or Revised.

The only parts of the map I trace are Germany and Russia, everything else is clearly defined.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m