Transports can't drop off if enemy sub is present

• I was looking through the 1941 rulebook last night, and noticed that there is a provision for transports that they cannot disgorge units while ignoring enemy subs in the sea zone they are dropping off from, unless they are accompanied by a warship. So even though the SZ could be treated as friendly under normal conditions, in this case it can’t. Is this a new rule? I don’t remember it from 1942.

• It was introduced this year in  the revised Global rules. Must have carried it over.

• Maybe a stupid question but how does the transport work when the transport doesn’t have to move to other seazones?
    This is for example the case when you would transport units from Japan to Siberia. Is there a maximum of times that a transport can load and offload in a turn? (Because you are not leaving the seazone, it’s seems like you can move to Siberia from Japan as many times as you want and drop all your land units)

• you have to load the transport then offload it, after that it’s done. once a transport offloads it can’t move or take on more units.

• Thanks a lot.

• I realize this is an old thread, but just wanted to clarify something on the original post.@Tobit:

I was looking through the 1941 rulebook last night, and noticed that there is a provision for transports that they cannot disgorge units while ignoring enemy subs in the sea zone they are dropping off from, unless they are accompanied by a warship. So even though the SZ could be treated as friendly under normal conditions, in this case it can’t. Is this a new rule? I don’t remember it from 1942.

I believe this is only true if you are performing an amphibious assault.  If you are offloading in a friendly territory (moving in non-combat), then you can ignore enemy subs.

• @tbt_delta:

I believe this is only true if you are performing an amphibious assault.  If you are offloading in a friendly territory (moving in non-combat), then you can ignore enemy subs.

This is correct. The exact text states

…a transport cannot ignore enemy submarines to offload land units for an amphibious assault unless at least one warship belonging to the attacking power is also present in the sea zone at the end of the Combat Move phase.

One additional note: It appears that a transport CAN ignore enemy transports to offload land units during an amphibious assault.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m