Unit Sculpts Identified by Krieghund

• Here are the identifications provided today by Krieghund on Larry’s site:

Allied tank - IS-2 (USSR)
    Allied fighter - P-40 Warhawk (USA)
    Allied bomber - Lancaster (UK)
    Allied battleship - Admiral class (Hood) (UK)
    Allied carrier - Kostromitinova class (USSR)
    Allied destroyer - Sumner class (USA)
    Allied sub - U class (UK)
    Allied transport - Fort class (UK)

Axis tank - Tiger I (Germany)
    Axis fighter - Fw-190 (Germany)
    Axis bomber - He-111 (Germany)
    Axis battleship - Kongo class (Japan)
    Axis carrier - Akagi class (Japan)
    Axis destroyer - Akitzuki class (Japan)
    Axis sub - Kaichu type (Japan)
    Axis transport - Yamazuki Maru (Japan)

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9172

• Thanks. You know how mad some have been driven on this!

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask by now!

• Looks like the Allied CV really was the Kostromitinova. Still a bit surprised at that choice, but I was always a fan of the incomplete CV projects of the USSR, so I wouldn’t complain.

• Customizer

WOW! A Soviet Aircraft Carrier. That’s really cool. No wonder I couldn’t identify it properly. I just looked at US and UK carriers.

I take it this Carrier was another project like the Sovietsky Soyuz Battleship, started on but left incompleted due to the German invasion. Does anyone know if this carrier was ever completed after the war?

By the way, thank you very much Krieghund and CWO Marc.

• @knp7765:

WOW! A Soviet Aircraft Carrier. That’s really cool. No wonder I couldn’t identify it properly. I just looked at US and UK carriers.

I take it this Carrier was another project like the Sovietsky Soyuz Battleship, started on but left incompleted due to the German invasion. Does anyone know if this carrier was ever completed after the war?

By the way, thank you very much Krieghund and CWO Marc.

From what I’ve found. It’s the opposite. The project was started if 1945 and stopped because Stalin changed his mind about Carriers in general and went back to the old naval thinking believing Battleships and Battlecruisers were the wave of the future.

• I thought it was Essex. Here is the Soviet CV and bottom the Essex

• @ Imperious Leader - Actually, the line drawing in your post depicts a different Soviet CV project; specifically, Project 71. The “Kostromitinova” design was much larger, and was proposed later in the war.  Interestingly, the Kostromitinova design was never seriously considered for production by the Soviet Navy (to the best of my knowledge), although 4 Project 71 ships and later 2 Project 72 ships were seriously planned (I think Project 71 was reduced from 4 ships to 2 sometime before Barbarossa).

I wonder why the Kostromitinova design was chosen instead of either Project 71 or Project 72?

• Customizer

Russia was the only major power without a proper Carrier. This version seems to round out quite a few holes in all the A&A games by giving Russia a carrier and the UK it’s own transport. They could have also given the UK their own destroyer as well but we’ll be getting those in the 1942 edition along with their own sub and 25 pounder.

All this is quite exciting especially for us lemmings for our Global games. Of course WOTC is getting more product moved but unless you happen to be a hard core collector the pieces are playable as they are per game. Us lemmings however have the option of an uber realistic set of units for at least one of our games.

Good times for me compared to the days where I was modifying and scratch building units more appropriate to each country when there was a drought of any A&A development for 2 decades.

My biggest beef right now is that the destroyers are scaled too big and so I must scratch build them smaller and possibly convert the destroyers into some light cruisers. Not a biggie and more fun for me. It’s a good time to be an A&A affecionado.

Next steps for global would probably be French and Italian unit updates to dig more IPCs out of our pockets. Can’t wait.

WOTC should also probably license the Japanese Chi-ha and UK universal carrier from the Singapore 1942 game to offset tooling up new molds thus benefiting themselves and the Singapore 1942 makers.

• @Imperious:

I thought it was Essex. Here is the Soviet CV and bottom the Essex

According to the website World’s Armed Forces Forum, that’s the wrong image, IL.  According to the poster on that site where I found the image in question, what you have there is the Project 71.  I can’t seem to figure out how to paste an image, but I’m going to try posting the link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/211833/thread/1194122521/last-1194215884/Cancelled+Soviet+Aircraft+Carrier+Projects

There, hopefully that worked and you can double check what I’m talking about.

• '17 '16

This should be stickied… had to dig to find this, since it’s different than a lot of places say the units are.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m