• Founder TripleA Admin

• thumbs up ^^

• england going before japan sounds bit weird :/

• @Frontovik:

england going before japan sounds bit weird :/

LOL. Well, that’s how it has been with the basic game and its upgrades for almost 30 years now :D

• Customizer

@Frontovik:

england going before japan sounds bit weird :/

Agreed. I’m guessing it was done that way because it’s a known and tested method that works. Conisdering the game is obviously set as pre-Pearl Harbor, a better turn order would have been:

Japan
    Russia
    Germany
    UK
    US

That would make the start date dec 7th 1941. Japan explodes. Russia begins its mostly failed winter offensive. Germany begins its second assault. Monty and Rommel duke it out in Africa. US in position to begin operation torch.

This order would have given the axis more initiate, which just feels right to me. Plus it opens the door to more UK/US cooperative turns. That also feels quite thematic to me.

Hopefully UK won’t have any good offensive moves in the pacific round 1.  (I haven’t checked). Overall, it’s still a game and I know I’ll enjoy it anyways.

• Founder TripleA Admin

UK has options in the Pacific. I don’t think this game was meant to be terribly historical.

• UK starts with FACTORIES in the pacific.
    Thats a huge leap from Revised.

Asia was a lost cause for the UK before, now they can actually play ball there.

• Founder TripleA Admin

You can drop boats into the Pacific.

• Not just boats, but  freaking Battleship  :evil:!!! Only if you wanted to screw yourself over though.

To me it looks like Russia’s weakness is being balanced out by the fact that japan will have a tough time and be worn down quickly. If Britian keeps that australian transport alive, it can wreak havoc the next turn, dropping on Boreno or east indies and denying Japan that much needed income. With only 2 starting transports Japan has to pick and choose those opening to get the most income possible, which is why I’m pushing for an early Russian blitz into manchruia, means japan has to move air and troops to mainland if it wants it back, but then that makes it harder for them to push into the south pacific and get that ungaurded income. But if they don’t then suddenly they’re outnumbered on the mainland.

And a thing for the German player to consider, if that 1 sub in the atlantic takes out that Lone US transport, then America, by sheer convinence, is pushed towards a Kill Japan first policy until it can get that atlantic coast set up again.

• @DarthShizNit:

Not just boats, but  freaking Battleship  :evil:!!! Only if you wanted to screw yourself over though.

To me it looks like Russia’s weakness is being balanced out by the fact that japan will have a tough time and be worn down quickly. If Britian keeps that australian transport alive, it can wreak havoc the next turn, dropping on Boreno or east indies and denying Japan that much needed income. With only 2 starting transports Japan has to pick and choose those opening to get the most income possible, which is why I’m pushing for an early Russian blitz into manchruia, means japan has to move air and troops to mainland if it wants it back, but then that makes it harder for them to push into the south pacific and get that ungaurded income. But if they don’t then suddenly they’re outnumbered on the mainland.

And a thing for the German player to consider, if that 1 sub in the atlantic takes out that Lone US transport, then America, by sheer convinence, is pushed towards a Kill Japan first policy until it can get that atlantic coast set up again.

thought the same thing, I completely agree.

• @DarthShizNit:

And the map is already designed for the US go to Pacific - you can reach Moscow with land units in 3 rounds from Western US while it takes 4 rounds from Eastern US.

• Founder TripleA Admin

All three games I played, there was trouble with the US going into the Pacific by the whomever was playing US just gave up and went to Europe.

If Japan goes all in on the Hawaii sea zone, the boats on the coast of W. USA are hosed the next turn. Even with an an aircraft carrier and fighter, they can’t win. Not only that, the US fleet can’t even run away! What the US does depends on how Japan plays and Japan can decide to keep the US out of the Pacific for 2 turns which in an eternity in this game.

• @djensen:

All three games I played, there was trouble with the US going into the Pacific by the whomever was playing US just gave up and went to Europe.

I don’t think it was supposed to be easy…  :lol:

If Japan goes all in on the Hawaii sea zone, the boats on the coast of W. USA are hosed the next turn. Even with an an aircraft carrier and fighter, they can’t win. Not only that, the US fleet can’t even run away! What the US does depends on how Japan plays and Japan can decide to keep the US out of the Pacific for 2 turns which in an eternity in this game.

What about the UK? I see a lot of possible moves instead of trying to stop Germany at the beginning:

• Build 1 carrier on India/Australia and/ attack SZ31 with 1 Destroyer, 1 Submarine and 1/2 Fighters
    • Fortify Phillipines or Borneo
    • Hit Southeast Asia and SZ31

Any of those should make Japan to react on J1 instead of going after the US.

• I still think of the game is a classic r/g/b/j/a turn order. Even when i’m coming up with house rules i come up with the rule and do a run down to see how effects everyone and I use the basic turn order to do this

• Customizer

at least this will be easy to code….

• @djensen:

Yeah, they could go blockade the states, but from where I’m sitting, as long as the US player plays it right then it’s the death of Japan. On US1, with a Japanese fleet of pressumably 1 BB, 1 CV with at least 1 fighter left and a transport in Hawaii (I think moving the british sub up to Hawaii on their turn is a good idea, maybe get a pot shot off and sink the BB or something with their ability, which even further reduces this fleet) you can hit that with 3 fighters, a bomber and a sub (if you really want you could try to retake the island and thus stop japan from bringing in that bomber on J2, but that seems to risky). Even if you fail to win, that attack has probably crippled the Fleet there, and when Japan comes a knocking with the rest of their fleet…so what? They take some more casualites and the entire pacific is wide open to a British navy with the ability to plop down a constant stream of units in two seperate locations close to home, and America will eventually sink that fleet sitting in San franciso Harbor.

Japan has to rely on some super lucky die rolls in those high stake naval battles, and maybe taking India or Australia early. But most likely, like their Russian enemy, they are in fact just screwed, ment to balance out the Russians being screwed…and I will have a blast leading every Banzai charge :). Man, I really need to get my hands on this game.

• @DarthShizNit:

@djensen:

Yeah, they could go blockade the states, but from where I’m sitting, as long as the US player plays it right then it’s the death of Japan. On US1, with a Japanese fleet of pressumably 1 BB, 1 CV with at least 1 fighter left and a transport in Hawaii (I think moving the british sub up to Hawaii on their turn is a good idea, maybe get a pot shot off and sink the BB or something with their ability, which even further reduces this fleet) you can hit that with 3 fighters, a bomber and a sub (if you really want you could try to retake the island and thus stop japan from bringing in that bomber on J2, but that seems to risky). Even if you fail to win, that attack has probably crippled the Fleet there, and when Japan comes a knocking with the rest of their fleet…so what? They take some more casualites and the entire pacific is wide open to a British navy with the ability to plop down a constant stream of units in two seperate locations close to home, and America will eventually sink that fleet sitting in San franciso Harbor.

Japan has to rely on some super lucky die rolls in those high stake naval battles, and maybe taking India or Australia early. But most likely, like their Russian enemy, they are in fact just screwed, ment to balance out the Russians being screwed…and I will have a blast leading every Banzai charge :). Man, I really need to get my hands on this game.

who would send entire jap fleet to hawaii? it can get trashed there… i think 2 figs and bomber are better option. then you can use transport to save whatver you can from mainland (southeast asia, china, manchuria, whatever got attacked or needs attacking).

• Customizer

@Veqryn:

at least this will be easy to code….

Can’t wait.

• @Frontovik:

@DarthShizNit:

@djensen:

who would send entire ��� fleet to hawaii? it can get trashed there… i think 2 figs and bomber are better option. then you can use transport to save whatver you can from mainland (southeast asia, china, manchuria, whatever got attacked or needs attacking).

Oh yes I agree. The Japan player would be much better of simply stalling the allies with fighters in the Pacific, and using it’s naval edge to take out India and Australia as soon as possible. Being me I will of course invade Alaska, but that’s only just for fun.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m