• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Got a game of Europe OBB set up this weekend.  I am the Axis.

How does anyone deal with the overwhelming US onslaught?

Moreover, any tried and true strategies for the Axis that dont involve Sealion?  I got that one down.

• Hi Karl7.  I suppose most important thing is to keep Italy strong and in the game. If you are playing Eutope you at least know you have 4 turns before they can land in Morocco and Gib. Need to keep shutting them out of the vulnerable Med by retaking Gib. Need to have Art in France to counterattack wherever he lands too. If you eliminate his ground units is a long way back to US. Watch he does not snatch Norway. If you are playing OOB he can build a Major IC there. (alpha rules changed that.)
    You need to bluff a Sealion, then depending on how cheeky his UK is( does he build all Inf or an IC for Egypt or Mech for SA), go through with it, which is a big TT investment, or hit Russia. If you Sealion(I am against it), watch borders are strong enough to repel Russian counter.
    If on G1 you take South France( 2 Mech, a Tk and Tac) can help Italy with Subs on G2 and prevent French fleet joining UK one off Egypt.
    Fly a German Ft to Rome on G1 too.
    Good luck.

Thanks

The OBB is crazy.

• Forgive me if this is already apparent to you but Axis need to make very smart decisions on the first 4 rounds.  If they don’t hit the allies hard enough by the time the US comes into play, then it’s only a matter of time before the US comes to trounce you.

I typically hit Soviets heavy on round 2, and make sure to try and take UK navy out as fast as possible.  The more resources you can send to Soviet territory the faster you can take it and not worry about that side of the map.  And if you’ve hurt the UK navy enough you won’t have to worry about units on western europe for a few turns.

• Karl7: It is crazy US can stay out of the war and then cross the Atlantic with enormous possibilities, because Central US is on European map. (Us only collects a more realistic 19 on the Pacific map.)

Thanks.  I’m pretty facile with global.  I simulated Europe obb and it just seems impossible for the axis to win.  Even if you kill Russia youll never get close to Cairo before the us is all over you.  If you help Italy and get Cairo Germany won’t get close to Moscow before again the us is all over the place.  Seems like sealion is the only way

• Why are you playing OOB? Play Alpha 2 or Alpha 3…

Mostly for convenience

Some of the players are newbies and don’t want to take on learning a lot of new rules.

• '16 '15 '10

I agree with Karl’s assessment.  For the OOB set-up, Sea Lion seems like the only viable option.

Even then, the Allies might still have the advantage.  But taking London early on (by G3) should give Germany a decent shot at the W.

If there is a winning strategy for OOB that doesn’t involve taking London early, then it would need a strong naval component, or the Allies will set up in France and USA will build a major in Norway.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m