• I am assuming standard rules in that 1. Russia is unrestricted and 2. No bidding for axis has taken place so units are “as is” from the game itself.

Where do you attack? I generally attack finland/norway because I want to keep my tanks alive for a counter-attack on turn 2. But i’ve heard people say that this is extremely unwise and its better to attack ukraine or eastern europe…I really don’t understand why. There must be something i’m just not getting so will someone please explain it to me…thanks

• Always attack the sub and transport on T1. Not doing so gives Germany too many other options. I usually consolidate my [east]forces in Yakut, and my tanks in Evenki Nat’l Orkug. In the West I always by mostly infantry, sometimes I buy a tank or three depending on who I am playing. I also attack Ukraine (most of the time), and use only the tanks, causasus inf and a fighter.
    Bossk has some real good “methods” as russia that have to do with hit-and-runs to kill all of Germany’s infantry.

• I go for Finland/Norway with my 3 tanks in the west and inf. in karelia i go after the Baltic fleet with my sub and a fighter ( i put my transport in the north sea) and i use 5 inf. 1 tank and the fighter from russia to attack Manchuria. i know it will be retaken but it gets rid of a jap fighter and alot of there mainland forces.
    i also buy 8 inf. to put in karelia

• I like to attack both eastern europe and ukraine, but not nessicarily to take either. I like to soften them up, make them afraid to attack due to lack of infantry. After a round or two of combat I simply withdraw to Karilia to bolster my defenses. I also like doing similar things against Manchuria. This allows me to build up quite a few infantry in the defence of the East (by sending one or two over in every turn, unless things go especially poorly in europe). With hit and fade tactics you can slowly build offensive forces to match your defensive ones while staying relitively safe from attack.

aint no need to hide, aint no need to run, 'cuase I got you in the sights of my gun.
    -Led Zeppelin, How Many More Times

[ This Message was edited by: bossk on 2002-03-08 20:02 ]

• hai
    when i’m russia i allway attack ukr. with 6/8 inf, 2fr, and sometimes 1 tank
    in that way you’ll win and when ger. attacks you he’ll lose a lot of inf, so when he does win the tanks are exposed for you counter attack
    i like to attack the 1sub near france, in this way you batship has a bigger chance to escape.
    i buy 8inf and put them in kar, so that ger can’t attack it with much succes

good luck
    gtz Nils

• I like attacking Eastern Europe, if im not taking Finland/Norway. By taking Eastern Eu. i can buy me some time, and if i can manage to take out both F/N and EE, im all set, cuz then its chuk-chuk time(Ref. Don’s Essay).

But mainly EE is the best choice, and take out the baltic fleet. Also i put 6 men in Yakut. Buy 8 men to put in karelia.

• Eastern Europe is definitely cool, 'cuz you not only take out an ARM, you also prevent 3 ARM (in Germany and South Europe) from attacking Karelia T1. Watch out for his forces in Norway & Ukraine though–heavily reinforce Karelia. Eastern Europe has a tendency to majorly backfire if you don’t properly reinforce Karelia & Russia, or you use too many forces in the initial attack.

Personally, however, I prefer a more modest attack on Finland/Norway, while sinking the TR in the Baltic (at least) and moving the fleet to UK waters. Finland/ Norway is difficult-to-impossible for Germany to get back, provides a ready landing point for Allied seaborne forces, and best of all, whatever ARM you have after the attack is “safe” from German counterrattack–unlike in the Ukraine and East Europe. As USSR, I never waste ARM.

Just my $0.02.

Ozone27

• I don’t think you would have to worry about Kerilia being taken T1. This rarely happens and actually does more damage to the Nazi war machine. As for me, I would take Ukraine first as it posses the least amount of retailation from Germany. If Eastern Europe is taken, Germany can just counter attack from both sides, reinforcing Eastern Europe while they’re at it. As for Finland. They can wait until T2, as they’re bascially sitting ducks trapped on an “island.”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m