HBG Rail Guns [Acrylic Markers]

• Cost 12 IPC

1. Moves only along Rail Markers/ Centers
    2. Makes any Artillery get one border shot and attacks at 4 from adjacent area and no enemy units can fire back in defense. Again these are only done from areas you control that have a Rail Marker/Center
    3. If used against a VC or Capital the attack raises to 5
    4. Defends like any Artillery unit if attacked
    5. Any Artillery unit can be designated a Rail Gun during your turn, or returned as OOB Artillery.

Note:These guns Historically were used as siege guns against fortresses and larger cities

• '18

I like the thought here.  What do you mean by “border shot?”  Do you think this gun could fire at ships if it is located on the coast?

• They can fire only from a Rail Marker into the next land area. Not against naval targets.

These guns where HUGE and did not have anything but a fixed position to fire long range targets.

Ships would move away before the gun could hit them because we are talking beyond the range of even seeing the target. Thats why they shot at cities/Fortresses because they too were stationary.

It could be fun to turn them into coastal guns, but HBG should make separate tokens for them.

I’m surprised they didn’t yet make a fortress token

• '18

That’s what I thought you meant, except for the Naval targets.  I hadn’t thought about them actually moving before impact.

One other question: how would you use it against victory cities?  Are you referring to having impact on IC’s?

• Great idea. Probably only something Germany could use thou.

• how would you use it against victory cities?  Are you referring to having impact on IC’s?

My thought is they are more effective against forces located in large cities, so that a siege can take place.

You touched on another idea perhaps they can destroy a players economy and be used against factories? They could be used to SBR those factories or is this too powerful?

• '18

I don’t think it is too powerful.  Has anyone come up with parameters for a siege yet?  Perhaps:

1. Rail gun chooses between siege (SBR) exchange or the targeting of units.
    2. Siege: one roll of a 6d for damage to IC facility.  No counter to it by enemy - like V2 rocket fire.
    3. (OR) First strike Salvo in attack: Roll 2 dice hit at 4 to have a maximum kill of two units that can’t fire back.

However, the enemy has to be able then to target it for destruction.  It should be able to be subject to bombing.  Thoughts on rules for this?  Realistically, successful bombing of it would totally destroy it and it would be replaced by a new one which could be too expensive.  Can it just be damaged and repaired like a base or airfield?

• @Imperious:

These guns where HUGE and did not have anything but a fixed position to fire long range targets.
    Ships would move away before the gun could hit them because we are talking beyond the range of even seeing the target. Thats why they shot at cities/Fortresses because they too were stationary.
    It could be fun to turn them into coastal guns, but HBG should make separate tokens for them.

A separate marker would indeed be better because railway guns, as IL points out, were siege weapons.  The bigger their size was, the slower their rate of fire was, and hence the less suitable they became as coastal artillery for use against ships at sea (which were especially hard to hit when they were moving).  Proper coast artillery guns were often naval-type guns which could deliver shells at a decent rate of fire – one round every 30 seconds (the rate of fire for a U.S. Navy 16" (406-mm) gun with a good gun crew) or faster.  I’ve never read anywhere what the maximum rate of fire was for Germany’s 800-mm Gustav / Dora railway guns were; if anyone knows the figure I’d be most interested to hear it.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

No worries, Fortress markers etc are being designed right now at HBG. They will probably be ready before too long.

IL, I know you’ve been wanting these Rail Guns forever! They seem to work well in a certain WWI game with your name on it…  :-D  Should be able to have fortress markers for that soon too.

• Yea thats fine. Here are some other token ideas:

Partisans
    V-1 rocket site
    V-2 rocket site
    V-1
    V-2
    Underground Factory
    Coastal Gun
    Fortified Island
    Kamikaze
    Flak Tower
    Bunker
    and leaders… and all generals but these tokens are round .75 inch

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

We’ve been reading your mind on a lot of these… Already in process!

• On the back of a leader/general perhaps some attributes " leadership rating" or combat bonus for certain units, etc.

• This one may be too specialized, but in case it’s of interest:

Flooded area (used as a defense against paratrooper landings or glider assaults)

• Another idea:

Id like a set of markers:

Army group south, north, Center
    OKW
    6th Army
    8th Army
    3rd Army
    Belorussia Front
    Caucasus Front
    Kwangtung Army
    Pro-Axis
    Pro-Allies
    Neutral
    veteran pilots
    etc.

That way we can assign stacks of units a historical name

• '18

I like that idea IL about assigning historical significance.

I was going to give you a “+1” for the above comment, but I see it will be swallowed up by your LARGE negative rating and will go unnoticed.  I could bounce around and give you a lot of positive marks - because I am assuming that is what someone else has done.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m