WOTC Reposts the Sales Flier for Axis & Allies 1941

• Wizards of the Coast (WOTC) has reposted the sales solicitation flier for Axis & Allies 1941 on the sales portion of the Wizards website.

• TripleA '12

Hello cebrickey, and welcome to our lair.

I looked on the website but could not find the info you refer to. I would therefore be very much obliged if you would care to post a link to it.

All the best.

• Customizer

Although it is reassuring to hear about a new solicitation, I’ll not be satisfied until I see it up for sale at Field Marshal Games.

• Thanks for posting the link P@nther.  I tried to include the link in my original post, but I could not post the message with it.  I received an automated statement saying, ‘Sorry, you are not allowed to post links.’  I assume I received this message because I am a new comer to the board and it’s part of the board’s anti-spam measures.

• [quote]and it’s part of the board’s anti-spam measures.[/quote]

yes it is, when you get enough posts you can have links.

• Thanks for the information Imperious Leader.

• TripleA '12

Ah… he’s a new lad but he means well.  :-)

• It’s been less than a day since Wizards of the Coast (WOTC) reposted the sales solicitation flier for Axis & Allies 1941 and now they have revised the sales flyer.

The original flier posted on May 17, 2012 was identical to the one WOTC posted on March 29, 2012.  The revised flier has a new release date (July 27, 2012), a more detailed list of components, and the box size (16” x 10.5” x 3”).

Game Components

• Game Board
    • Battle Strip
    • Casualty Strip
    • 160 plastic miniatures
    • 84 die-cut pieces
    • Four dice
    • Rulebook

• Customizer

4 dice?

• So the release date for 1941 is identical to that of 1942 2nd ed.

• Customizer

Well, that explains why when I put in a pre-order for this game at 12-7 Games, it said that it was a July release. I didn’t realize they meant so late in July. Guess I’ll be waiting a little longer than I first thought.

• I am curious about the map (size, number of spaces, etc.) and the mix units for each power, especially given there will be only 160 plastic pieces.  I agree with the previous post wondering about only four dice.

• Customizer

I get the feeling this is going to be a VERY simplified version of the game. I’m cool with that as maybe it’ll be a good teaching tool for my 10y old. Also looking forward to the new pieces even if it’s a game that I never play.

• Yes, its gotta be very simplified.  Probably as simple as or simplier than Classic.  At 160 pieces that’s average 32 pieces a nation.  That means the bare minimum: only AC,BB, TT, SS, inf, tnk, bmr, ftr and that’s it.  No tac, mech, DD, CZ, AA etc.

Of course I will probably get 2-4 of them to supplement my Global game and maybe the my 42 2nd edition I will get also.

• Customizer

This is complete speculation on piece count. I realize there may be more or less unit types than I listed, so don take it too serious. There also might be some unit count variations among countries.

8 infantry
    5 tanks (2 new sculpts confirmed)
    5 fighters (2 new sculpts confirmed)
    3 bombers (2 new sculpts confirmed)
    3 battleships (HMS hood will be marketed as a battleship not a cruiser)
    3 aircraft carriers (1 new sculpt confirmed)
    5 transports

Thats 32 pieces.
    I suspect subs will get scrapped. They are overly complicated for a “simplified” version of the game. Plus most of the submarine rules won’t apply without destroyers which I agree with questioner won’t be in the game. Also note that although infantry and transports don’t have any confirmed new sculpts, it would be implausable to have A&A without them. It’s not implausable to have a&a without the units I listed.

Once again this is pure speculation and I’m likely wrong.

• Customizer

I take back wha I said about destroyers. On second thought, I think it is necessary to have a cheap “infantry of the sea piece”. I believe destroyers will fill his role better than the highly complicated sub piece. If so we would likely only get 2 battleships, bombers, and ac. Then only 4 transports.

Of course I’m probably wrong, given the very scant slew of evidence we have to base this supposition on. Still it’s fun to speculate.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same line-up as 2nd edition. Probably no subs though to reduce complexity. Extrapolating this to Bob’s idea:

8 infantry
    6 tanks
    6 fighters
    3 bombers
    3 battleships
    2 carriers
    4 transports

Total: 32 X 5 = 160

This is my unfounded guess.

• Customizer

I can’t agree with you guys on submarines. I think they will have either submarines OR destroyers but probably not both. Like Bob_A_Mickelson said, they will need to have a sort of sea-bound infantry piece. You can’t just have battleships, carriers and transports. There’s got to be some sort of small warship - cheaper to build and use as fodder to protect the battleships, carriers and transports - and destroyers would really fit that bill perfectly.
    However, they could still include subs as well, in keeping with the old Classic lineup. The rules for this game will probably reduce the complexity of submarines. I would imagine they would go back to Classic rules regarding subs – A simple 2-2-2 unit. Remember, in Classic the only special rules for subs were that they could not hit airplanes and they had the surprise strike ability and could submerge. That’s not really too complex.
    Although, if they put in destroyers, that would be an even simpler unit.
    Here’s my guess:

8 infantry
    6 tanks
    6 fighters
    2 bombers
    2 battleships
    2 carriers
    3 destroyers
    3 transports

• I really start to look forward to that game. With simpler rules I might get some more people who would join a game, and more importantly, with a quiet a shorter game-time, it’s possible to play a game in one evening without staying up till morning :-)

I only hope they print enough, so it’s still in stock after two or three years… :roll:
    (I remember how I tried to get Revised and now Europe40, after realizing about the games just after two years or so)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m