Satinpurpledefender trial by fire (A Marine's attempt, to escape from HELL!)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

There we have it.  Our thread is up.

• Test summary from TripleA 11:47:44

• TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II v4, version: 2.7

Game History

Round :1

Purchase Units - Russians
                Russians buy 3 armour and 3 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs;

Combat Move - Russians
                3 infantry moved from Karelia S.S.R. to Norway
                1 fighter moved from Karelia S.S.R. to Norway
                1 fighter moved from Russia to Norway
                1 armour moved from Archangel to Norway
                2 armour, 1 artillery and 3 infantry moved from Russia to West Russia
                1 artillery moved from Caucasus to West Russia

Combat - Russians
                Battle in West Russia
                    Russians attack with 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 3 infantry
                    Germans defend with 1 armour, 1 artillery and 3 infantry
                        Russians roll dice for 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 3 infantry in West Russia, round 1 :  1/7 hits
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour, 1 artillery and 3 infantry in West Russia, round 1 :  1/5 hits
                        1 infantry owned by the Russians and 1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in West Russia
                        Russians roll dice for 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 2 infantry in West Russia, round 2 :  6/6 hits
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour, 1 artillery and 2 infantry in West Russia, round 2 :  1/4 hits
                        1 infantry owned by the Russians , 2 infantry owned by the Germans , 1 armour owned by the Germans and 1 artillery owned by the Germans lost in West Russia
                    Russians win, taking West Russia from Germans with 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 12
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 armour, 1 artillery and 3 infantry
                    Casualties for Russians: 2 infantry
                    Russians win with 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 12
                    Casualties for Russians: 2 infantry
                Battle in Norway
                    Russians attack with 1 armour, 2 fighters and 3 infantry
                    Germans defend with 1 fighter and 3 infantry
                        Russians roll dice for 1 armour, 2 fighters and 3 infantry in Norway, round 1 :  3/6 hits
                        Germans roll dice for 1 fighter and 3 infantry in Norway, round 1 :  2/4 hits
                        2 infantry owned by the Russians and 3 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Norway
                        Russians roll dice for 1 armour, 2 fighters and 1 infantry in Norway, round 2 :  3/4 hits
                        Germans roll dice for 1 fighter in Norway, round 2 :  1/1 hits
                        1 infantry owned by the Russians and 1 fighter owned by the Germans lost in Norway
                    Russians win, taking Norway from Germans with 1 armour and 2 fighters remaining. Battle score for attacker is 10
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 fighter and 3 infantry
                    Casualties for Russians: 3 infantry
                    Russians win with 1 armour and 2 fighters remaining. Battle score for attacker is 10
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 fighter and 3 infantry
                    Casualties for Russians: 3 infantry
                Recording Battle Statistics

Non Combat Move - Russians
                2 fighters moved from Norway to Karelia S.S.R.
                1 armour moved from Caucasus to Karelia S.S.R.
                3 infantry moved from Archangel to Karelia S.S.R.
                2 infantry moved from Caucasus to West Russia
                2 infantry moved from Kazakh S.S.R. to Caucasus
                2 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Sinkiang
                2 infantry moved from Evenki National Okrug to Novosibirsk
                2 infantry moved from Yakut S.S.R. to Buryatia S.S.R.

Place Units - Russians
                1 armour and 3 infantry placed in Caucasus
                2 armour placed in Russia

Turn Complete - Russians
                Russians collect 29 PUs; end with 29 PUs total

Territory Summary for Russians :

Soviet Far East : 2 infantry
        Novosibirsk : 2 infantry
        Karelia S.S.R. : 1 armour, 2 fighters and 3 infantry
        Norway : 1 flag, 1 armour
        Caucasus : 1 aaGun, 1 armour, 1 factory and 6 infantry
        Sinkiang : 2 infantry
        West Russia : 1 flag, 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 3 infantry
        Buryatia S.S.R. : 4 infantry
        Russia : 1 aaGun, 2 armour and 1 factory
        4 Sea Zone : 1 submarine

Production/PUs Summary :

Russians : 29 / 29
        Germans : 35 / 40
        British : 30 / 30
        Japanese : 30 / 30
        Americans : 42 / 42

• Ok, I hope I did this right. I went ahead and did R1, but I had to select casualties for you. Am I correct in doing that? Please feel free to correct me on anything I messed up, and if we need to start over, I understand. lol

So long as you used common sense, we should be good.

90% of casualties, feel free to select, for the most part, it’s very common sense  the exception is cases where usually subs, or bombers are involved, in which case, either give me BEST dice, OR, if you aren’t sure what my order of loss (OOL) will be for a specific battle, ask for it before hand.

I’ll double check you got all the email and stuff right, and we’ll go from there!

Good work so far sailor.  Because you can’t be called a soldier… :)

• Marine will do just fine. Sailors are just our ride, thank you very much. :)

Haha, fair enough…

You know, about 2 months ago I called a recruiting station in Seattle, looking to join.

I’m 28 years old, and can still get in, everything was going well, and I had even passed the “can you see out both your eyes” test over the phone LOL, but got sideswiped by the fact that I’m Canadian, and HAVE to get legal resident status first :S  nye impossible before my brithday.

:S

Among many reasons I have to consider joining the corps, you should know that that the outright “coolest”  though niche factor I considered, was the fact that if there ever was to be conflict in outerspace, it would be the MARINES who went in first :P

I’ll try to bust out G1 asap.

Oh, and would you like bad news now? as we go along? or a post game report?

• I was deployed with a Marine that was Canadian, but I never bothered to ask him much about his citizenship status. I know there are plenty of Mexican Marines that aren’t citizens or naturalized. It may work different for each country, and I would have no clue about the inner workings of Corps’ bureaucracy.

Feel free to point out my blunders, offer advice, critique selections, etc. at any time. I’m more interested in learning than winning.

DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE, the statements below are 100% for your learning and benefit.  And you are doing VERY well for someone with no experience.  However.

First order of battle.

Your build isn’t bad,  3 inf, 3 arm, that’s a SOLID build that I would consider.

That said, when you are BRAND NEW, playing a landlocked type of country like Russia, where you may be prone to making mistakes, and learning lessons the hard way,  bulking out ALL infantry builds, and playing a mostly defensive game, will make you get ALOT more out of your game, as it will help you buy time/turns to get the US and UK more involved.

Second order of battle,

I’m going to make you pay for your “incursion” into norway,  and much more worsely then you’ve originally imagined.  You will realize quite shortly, that keeping your equipment, like tanks, and planes SAFE from counter attack, is IMPERATIVE.  In this case, they are exposed, and Russia is going to lose BOTH her fighters this turn, and a few of her tanks.  This is a PAINFUL thing to learn.

Third,

You have placed what I infamously call MEDIUM stacks across the board,  West Russia, Caucusus, Leningrad.

Having several MEDIUM sized stacks, is one of the WORST things you can do in Axis and Allies (the size MEDIUM, is directly proportional to the composition of enemy forces in front of you).

Axis and Allies is about one thing.  IPC’s/Value/$/Economics,  whatever you want to call it.  You make your money, when you end your turn,  when you kill more of my stuff that I kill of yours, and when you make your units more effective by placing them in better position (like the chess CHECK concept) where they can do multiple things on a turn.

Here is where medium stacks are a problem…  They get exposed to a knife point edge of your opponent,  who can then choose the stack with the most value he can destroy, whilst limiting his own losses.

Consider for a moment, the battle of Thermopylae
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae  Basically the movie “300”

The premise being, that by using a bottleneck, the spartans were able to proportionally destroy an equal force of ANYTHING that faced them, despite the total force of the enemy, being MUCH larger.

A medium stack, takes that bottle neck away.  And now your spartans, are going to face the BULK of my nazi war machine, at the location of my choosing, I’ll even be able to limit where you can counter attack me, and how.

These types of battles get exponentially WORSE in Axis and Allies, and when facing your stack, through subsequent rounds of combat, the medium stack decreases much faster than the large stack,  making the victory for the attacker that much more sweet.

Please ask questions, or critique my lessons equally in return. :)

• I can see what you are saying about building more infantry, especially early, for a defensive strategy.

2x Armor: $10 for 6 Def
    3x Infantry: $9 for 6 Def

I will keep that in mind in the future.

As for bottle-necking and stack sizes, should I be setting up an easy target for German capture, so that I can then counter attack that spot? If so, would that spot be West Russia?

My reasoning for taking Norway may be shaky in retrospect, but here it is. Taking Norway secures $3 (which is much less than I spent taking it I realize), and it prevented the German bomber in Germany from having a safe landing area for a joint attack against UK BB in SZ 2 with the German sub in SZ 8.

As for bottle-necking and stack sizes, should I be setting up an easy target for German capture, so that I can then counter attack that spot? If so, would that spot be West Russia?

West Russia can become a good HOLD point for everything in your army,  Leningrad then typically becomes abandoned instead.

My reasoning for taking Norway may be shaky in retrospect, but here it is. Taking Norway secures $3 (which is much less than I spent taking it I realize), and it prevented the German bomber in Germany from having a safe landing area for a joint attack against UK BB in SZ 2 with the German sub in SZ 8.

An interesting notion, and I LIKE IT.  But… instead of costing the British a Battleship, it’s going to cost Russia it’s 2 fighters!  :)

You seem to be fairly apt for someone who is a “beginner” to notice those kinds of things… this should be a good game.

• Well, like I said in a previous post, I’ve fiddled with TripleA a bit, so I have gotten to do a few opening turns for each power, and I have played one full opening turn with a friend while we muddled through the rules.

Basically, I just looked at what I would do if I were Germany and Japan, and I tried to limit the more painful (for me) options.

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II v4, version: 2.7

Game History

Round :1

Purchase Units - Germans
                Germans buy 1 fighter and 10 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs;

Combat Move - Germans
                1 submarine moved from 8 Sea Zone to 13 Sea Zone
                1 battleship moved from 14 Sea Zone to 15 Sea Zone
                1 armour moved from Southern Europe to 14 Sea Zone
                1 infantry moved from Southern Europe to 14 Sea Zone
                1 armour, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 14 Sea Zone to 15 Sea Zone
                1 armour moved from 15 Sea Zone to Anglo Egypt
                1 infantry moved from 15 Sea Zone to Anglo Egypt
                1 armour moved from Libya to Anglo Egypt
                1 infantry moved from Libya to Anglo Egypt
                1 infantry moved from Western Europe to 5 Sea Zone
                1 armour moved from Western Europe to 5 Sea Zone
                1 armour moved from 5 Sea Zone to Norway
                1 infantry moved from 5 Sea Zone to Norway
                1 submarine moved from 5 Sea Zone to 7 Sea Zone
                1 submarine moved from 5 Sea Zone to 7 Sea Zone
                1 bomber moved from Germany to 13 Sea Zone
                1 fighter moved from Western Europe to Karelia S.S.R.
                1 fighter moved from Balkans to Anglo Egypt
                1 armour moved from Balkans to West Russia
                1 armour moved from Ukraine S.S.R. to West Russia
                1 artillery, 1 fighter and 3 infantry moved from Ukraine S.S.R. to West Russia
                3 infantry moved from Belorussia to Karelia S.S.R.
                2 armour moved from Germany to Karelia S.S.R.
                1 fighter moved from Germany to West Russia
                1 fighter moved from Eastern Europe to West Russia
                1 armour and 2 infantry moved from Eastern Europe to Karelia S.S.R.
                1 infantry moved from Balkans to Ukraine S.S.R.
                1 destroyer moved from 5 Sea Zone to 6 Sea Zone

Combat - Germans
                Battle in West Russia
                    Germans attack with 2 armour, 1 artillery, 3 fighters and 3 infantry
                    Russians defend with 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 3 infantry
                        Germans roll dice for 2 armour, 1 artillery, 3 fighters and 3 infantry in West Russia, round 1 :  3/9 hits
                        Russians roll dice for 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 3 infantry in West Russia, round 1 :  3/7 hits
                        3 infantry owned by the Russians and 3 infantry owned by the Germans lost in West Russia
                        Germans roll dice for 2 armour, 1 artillery and 3 fighters in West Russia, round 2 :  2/6 hits
                        Russians roll dice for 2 armour and 2 artilleries in West Russia, round 2 :  1/4 hits
                        2 artilleries owned by the Russians and 1 artillery owned by the Germans lost in West Russia
                        Germans roll dice for 2 armour and 3 fighters in West Russia, round 3 :  2/5 hits
                        Russians roll dice for 2 armour in West Russia, round 3 :  1/2 hits
                        2 armour owned by the Russians and 1 armour owned by the Germans lost in West Russia
                    Germans win, taking West Russia from Russians with 1 armour and 3 fighters remaining. Battle score for attacker is 9
                    Casualties for Russians: 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 3 infantry
                    Germans win with 1 armour and 3 fighters remaining. Battle score for attacker is 9
                    Casualties for Russians: 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 3 infantry
                Battle in 15 Sea Zone
                    Germans attack with 1 battleship and 1 transport
                    British defend with 1 destroyer
                        Germans roll dice for 1 battleship and 1 transport in 15 Sea Zone, round 1 :  0/1 hits
                        British roll dice for 1 destroyer in 15 Sea Zone, round 1 :  1/1 hits
                    Units damaged: 1 battleship owned by the Germans
                        Germans roll dice for 1 battleship and 1 transport in 15 Sea Zone, round 2 :  1/1 hits
                        British roll dice for 1 destroyer in 15 Sea Zone, round 2 :  1/1 hits
                        1 battleship owned by the Germans and 1 destroyer owned by the British lost in 15 Sea Zone
                    Germans win with 1 transport remaining. Battle score for attacker is -12
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 battleship
                    Casualties for British: 1 destroyer
                    Germans win with 1 transport remaining. Battle score for attacker is -12
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 battleship
                    Casualties for British: 1 destroyer
                Battle in Karelia S.S.R.
                    Germans attack with 3 armour, 1 fighter and 5 infantry
                    Russians defend with 1 armour, 2 fighters and 3 infantry
                        Germans roll dice for 3 armour, 1 fighter and 5 infantry in Karelia S.S.R., round 1 :  3/9 hits
                        Russians roll dice for 1 armour, 2 fighters and 3 infantry in Karelia S.S.R., round 1 :  3/6 hits
                        3 infantry owned by the Russians and 3 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Karelia S.S.R.
                        Germans roll dice for 3 armour, 1 fighter and 2 infantry in Karelia S.S.R., round 2 :  3/6 hits
                        Russians roll dice for 1 armour and 2 fighters in Karelia S.S.R., round 2 :  2/3 hits
                        1 armour owned by the Russians , 2 infantry owned by the Germans and 2 fighters owned by the Russians lost in Karelia S.S.R.
                    Germans win, taking Karelia S.S.R. from Russians with 3 armour and 1 fighter remaining. Battle score for attacker is 19
                    Casualties for Germans: 5 infantry
                    Casualties for Russians: 1 armour, 2 fighters and 3 infantry
                    Germans win with 3 armour and 1 fighter remaining. Battle score for attacker is 19
                    Casualties for Germans: 5 infantry
                    Casualties for Russians: 1 armour, 2 fighters and 3 infantry
                Battle in 13 Sea Zone
                    Germans attack with 1 bomber and 1 submarine
                    British defend with 1 cruiser
                        Germans roll dice for 1 submarine in 13 Sea Zone, round 1 :  0/1 hits
                        Germans roll dice for 1 bomber in 13 Sea Zone, round 1 :  1/1 hits
                        British roll dice for 1 cruiser in 13 Sea Zone, round 1 :  1/1 hits
                        1 cruiser owned by the British and 1 submarine owned by the Germans lost in 13 Sea Zone
                    Germans win with 1 bomber remaining. Battle score for attacker is 6
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 submarine
                    Casualties for British: 1 cruiser
                    Germans win with 1 bomber remaining. Battle score for attacker is 6
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 submarine
                    Casualties for British: 1 cruiser
                Battle in Norway
                    Germans attack with 1 armour and 1 infantry
                    Russians defend with 1 armour
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour and 1 infantry in Norway, round 1 :  0/2 hits
                        Russians roll dice for 1 armour in Norway, round 1 :  0/1 hits
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour and 1 infantry in Norway, round 2 :  0/2 hits
                        Russians roll dice for 1 armour in Norway, round 2 :  0/1 hits
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour and 1 infantry in Norway, round 3 :  0/2 hits
                        Russians roll dice for 1 armour in Norway, round 3 :  0/1 hits
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour and 1 infantry in Norway, round 4 :  1/2 hits
                        Russians roll dice for 1 armour in Norway, round 4 :  0/1 hits
                        1 armour owned by the Russians lost in Norway
                    Germans win, taking Norway from Russians with 1 armour and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 5
                    Casualties for Russians: 1 armour
                    Germans win with 1 armour and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 5
                    Casualties for Russians: 1 armour
                Battle in Anglo Egypt
                    Germans attack with 2 armour, 1 fighter and 2 infantry
                    British defend with 1 armour, 1 fighter and 1 infantry
                        Germans roll dice for 2 armour, 1 fighter and 2 infantry in Anglo Egypt, round 1 :  3/5 hits
                        British roll dice for 1 armour, 1 fighter and 1 infantry in Anglo Egypt, round 1 :  1/3 hits
                        1 infantry owned by the British , 1 armour owned by the British , 1 infantry owned by the Germans and 1 fighter owned by the British lost in Anglo Egypt
                    Germans win, taking Anglo Egypt from British with 2 armour, 1 fighter and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 15
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
                    Casualties for British: 1 armour, 1 fighter and 1 infantry
                    Germans win with 2 armour, 1 fighter and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 15
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
                    Casualties for British: 1 armour, 1 fighter and 1 infantry
                Recording Battle Statistics

Non Combat Move - Germans
                1 fighter moved from Anglo Egypt to Libya
                1 artillery moved from Algeria to Libya
                1 infantry moved from Algeria to Libya
                1 bomber moved from 13 Sea Zone to Western Europe
                1 artillery moved from Southern Europe to Balkans
                1 infantry moved from Balkans to Eastern Europe
                1 infantry moved from Southern Europe to Western Europe
                1 infantry moved from Germany to Eastern Europe
                1 infantry moved from Germany to Western Europe
                1 fighter moved from Karelia S.S.R. to Western Europe
                1 fighter moved from West Russia to Western Europe
                1 fighter moved from West Russia to Eastern Europe
                1 fighter moved from West Russia to Belorussia
                1 armour moved from Western Europe to Eastern Europe
                1 destroyer moved from 6 Sea Zone to 7 Sea Zone
                1 infantry moved from Germany to Western Europe

Place Units - Germans
                1 fighter and 9 infantry placed in Germany
                1 infantry placed in Southern Europe

Turn Complete - Germans
                Germans collect 44 PUs; end with 44 PUs total

Well I decided to go ALL OUT with Germany, with some good and bad results.

Normally I don’t risk my battleship in the med, but this game I decided too (Because ever other game, when I send the extra fighter there - I don’t need it), low and behold, your destroyer got the double tap.

Nice work.

Let’s see where this goes! :P

Remember something,

If you decide to go for my Destroyer/subs off of france, that A, your planes can’t hit the subs, and B, the subs can choose to submerge each round BEFORE dice are rolled.

Should you attack, the first round I will choose NOT to submerge, as my hits will instead forced upon your ‘oh so famed’ battleship :)

I will submerge my subs if I fail to score ANY hits in the first round, and you have blown up my destroyer.

My OOL, will be destroyer first, subs after.

• Yes, it seems I have been given a pretty thorough trouncing there.

Hit a man too hard, and you can only rob him once.

;)

• I am bringing 1 Sub and 1 Transport (laden with 2 Infantry from Australia) from SZ 40 to SZ 45 to conduct amphibious assault on Solomon Islands. There is one Japanese Sub in SZ 45, would it submerge or fight?

FIGHT!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m