• Espionage.

This works in any game where you are playing with tech.  At the beginning of your turn you can buy 1 die to roll.  You can spend between 1 and 5 IPCs.  Your likelihood of successful espionage increases the more you spend.

$1= 1 hits
    $2= 1 or 2 hits
    $3= 1, 2 or 3 hits
    $4= 1, 2, 3 or 4 hits
    $5= 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 hits

For instance if you spend $2 and roll a 1 or 2 then your espionage is successful.  If you spend $5 you will be successful if you roll anything but a 6.

If you are successful, you now roll a second die to see the outcome of your espionage.

Espionage chart.

1. Steal enemy technology - you get 1 tech of your choosing that is owned by an enemy power, and they lose it
    2. Copy enemy technology - you get 1 tech of your choosing that is owned by an enemy power, and they keep it
    3. Sabotage enemy technology - you get nothing, but an enemy power loses 1 technology of your choosing.
    4. Copy technology from a friend- you get 1 tech of your choosing that is owned by a friendly power, so you both have it
    5. Share technology with a friend - a friendly power of your choosing also gets a technology that you already have
    6. Double crossed - You get nothing but an enemy power of their choosing gets to share one of your technologies!

:evil:

• Customizer

This would work well with Grasshopper’s Tech Tree, don’t you think? The purchase and rolling seems to be a similar system.

One question: If you did use it with Grasshopper’s Tech Tree, if an enemy spy caused you to lose one of your technologies, would that lower your level of dice rolling? EG: You have achieved the level where you can roll a D8. Enemy spy steals or destroys the tech you attained. Do you have to go back to D6, or can you still roll D8?

• Not sure, but i think you’d have to go back.

• Sponsor

I first changed espionage to read: steal one technology from an enemy power, but for the consistent progression up the tech ladder, I thought it was to powerful. So I changed my espionage to read: you may develop any technology that an enemy power possesses. This way you have choice, but your enemy keeps their technologies they earned. Vance’s rule is different and ment to work with the original R&D system, but if Vance wants to make an espionage house rule within my R&D ladder house rule, that would be very cool, but I don’t want to mess with the simplicity of my tech ladder as it stands.

• yeah this one is more of a funny rule that people could play with in a not-so-serious game.  “hey you stole my rockets!” kind of thing.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I think each country should have 6 of their OWN techs.

That means with Espionage, depending on how you do it, you could legitimately steal other countries techs, which would be DIFFERENT from your own.

• Espionnage rules should effect the situation on the battle field,piece movement and or player turn.

• Sounds like a fun and creative idea to try! I like the doublecross on “six” - makes it more of a gamble.

• Go to top of thread.

• Na…not sure about this rule… I’m not thinking technology.
    Russian spy steal important information about Barbarossa, kursk and others operations.

• Customizer

I think that would only work in one of those games where you have 2 boards in 2 different rooms, Allies in one room, Axis in another, with some sort of referee going between the two. That way you could make sneaky plans and surprise your enemy.

With the regular game, everyone can see the board right in front of them so what information would there be for a spy to steal?

• @knp7765:

I think that would only work in one of those games where you have 2 boards in 2 different rooms, Allies in one room, Axis in another, with some sort of referee going between the two. That way you could make sneaky plans and surprise your enemy. With the regular game, everyone can see the board right in front of them so what information would there be for a spy to steal?

An excellent point.  And as an added twist on the espionnage concept, a two-board setup would also allow the possibility of counter-espionnage: having (let’s say) a counter-espionnage card that can be played once per game that allows a player to pass false information to the other side through the referee.

• Crus, Maybe try

Turn 6    Summer 41   Monsoon  Espionage
    Turn 14   Summer 43  Monsoon  Espionage

Espionage -  Have it where its either Russia attacks at +1 or defends at +1 for 1 first round of combat.

Spys - Cost 10 ICPs.  Roll a d8 or d10 or d12 die. If you roll the highest number of die you get breakthrough. Then roll a d6 for chart. 1 =  Spy dies in fight. 2 =  Spy bombs IC. Enemy pays 10 ICPs to bank
    3 =  Spy lives in fight. Escapes
    4 =  Spy kills a General in bed. If using generals.  Or bombs  
          navel base of choice. Ships cant leave that sea zone next       turn.   5 =  Spy bombs oil depot. Tanks and mechs cant move in 2       territories next turn. 6 =  Spy destroys enemies Tech.

I agree with Grasshopper where you don`t want spy to be to strong. And just tweek . Also have a cap on the number of spies you can have.

• @SS:

I agree with Grasshopper where you don`t want spy to be to strong.

Agreed, which is why I’m concerned about some of the suggestions on your list.  It would take a pretty enormous bomb to destroy an entire naval base, and I’m not even sure how that would prevent ships from moving. I also can’t think of any cases in which WWII spies have killed generals in bed.  Note by the way that these two activities aren’t strictly speaking pure espionnage: people who blow things up are saboteurs, and people who carry out targetted killings are assasins.  Spies are primarily in the information (or disinformation) business, so their actions should affect things like tech development and strategic decisions.  Regarding #6, by the way, it’s credible for a spy to steal tech info from an enemy for the benefit of his own side, but it’s improbable that a spy could destroy every single record that an enemy has (in every single location they’re kept) about a particular technology, destroy every factory producing the technology, and kill every person who knows about the technology.

• These were just suggestions. I did say they could be tweaked. Ya I agree there to strong. Could have it where they can delay you from getting a tech do to stealing documents while your trying to get tech. James Bond blew up stuff and he was a spy.

• 1 = Spy dies
    2 = Spy steals documents of an up and coming battle. Country
          attacks at +1 for inf and mechs first round of combat. 3 = Spy caught, but escapes. 4 = Spy steals documents for up an coming sea moves. Country       ships attack at +1 in 1 sea zone. 5 = Spy steals documents of early stage of enemys Tech. Gets
          a free die roll towards his tech.
    6 = Spy steals enemy`s Tech.

Spy cost 12 icp`s, roll a d12 die, a roll of 12 breaksthrough and then roll a d6 towards chart. Just change the stuff on chart if its to strong or weak or other suggestions.

• Customizer

@knp7765:

I think that would only work in one of those games where you have 2 boards in 2 different rooms, Allies in one room, Axis in another, with some sort of referee going between the two. That way you could make sneaky plans and surprise your enemy.

With the regular game, everyone can see the board right in front of them so what information would there be for a spy to steal?

Not to get off topic, but this concept has existed since before WWI (on a tactical level anyway), it’s called “Kriegsspiel”.

http://217.199.187.67/kriegsspiel.org.uk//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=58

You need 3 boards and 3 rooms: 1 for Allies, 1 for Axis, and 1 for the all-seeing Referee. The players each send “orders” to their troops for their moves, and the Referee determines who can see what and reports back to the players the results of engagements, etc. This effectively replicates the “fog of war” that is missing in 1-board games.

I know it would be time (and resource) consuming, but I would love to play a game of A&A like this… but I’ve never had much interest from my local group.

• :-D

• Customizer

@crusaderiv:

Na…not sure about this rule… I’m not thinking technology.
    Russian spy steal important information about Barbarossa, kursk and others operations.

This could work in another way though. Perhaps with a “spy token” that would allow a retreat or reinforcement  to or from a territory being attacked by the enemy.

• With the regular game, everyone can see the board right in front of them so what information would there be for a spy to steal?
    That’s the challenge!

_An excellent point.  And as an added twist on the espionnage concept, a two-board setup would also allow the possibility of counter-espionnage: having (let’s say) a counter-espionnage card that can be played once per game that allows a player to pass false information to the other side through the referee. _
    Yes, but a two board it’s unrealizable.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m