• I have read some ‘skilled’ players posting on these forums that low luck dice is stupid, and only noobs cant handle real dice, blah blah blah

In my limited experience ~75 games of 1942 on GTO, winning almost half the time, ive found that dice ruins games more often than not, creating alot of wasted time that is very frustrating as it is hard enough to find time for games as it is.

I play using low luck dice alot of the time now to avoid these types of games (it happens almost everytime i play using regular dice)

Most of the time its actually my opponent that is getting the bad dice, and he/she will just quit (i dont blame then)
    Wasting time.

Low luck games tend to last longer and there is more strategy in my opinion and less blind luck

I hate games that run on luck of the dice/draw

Id prefer that atleast some of the luck be taken out and the winner is more determined by skill

• Sounds like chess is the game for you.  Or checkers, chinese checkers, mancala….

Crazy dice is Axis and Allies.  It simulates the unpredictability of war.  It’s a fantasy land where you send 9 infantry, 2 artillery, and 3 tanks off to battle and know for sure that you will score EXACTLY 4 hits.

If you can find people to play low luck with you and you enjoy it, more power to you.  Have fun.

• @Gamerman01:

Sounds like chess is the game for you.  Or checkers, chinese checkers, mancala….

Crazy dice is Axis and Allies.  It simulates the unpredictability of war.  It’s a fantasy land where you send 9 infantry, 2 artillery, and 3 tanks off to battle and know for sure that you will score EXACTLY 4 hits.

If you can find people to play low luck with you and you enjoy it, more power to you.  Have fun.

My point was it sucks to spend an hour playing a game and it get totally ruined by one or two rounds of dice rape. You just wasted an hour and now dont have time for another game. So no goodgame for tonight :(

• I understand your point.  Low luck is definitely not for me, though.  Not that you would care.

Sometimes players put themselves in a position for a dice rape and it’s their own fault.  Of course I don’t know what your game situations were….

• '17

I agree with Uncrustable’s conclusions about low luck, but I also understand why most players here don’t go for it:

1. Unpredictability is fun and generates more diverse scenarios

2. Pure luck tends to even out if you’re patient

3. Low luck encourages micromanaging in an already complex game

• '17

Also, I have noticed that many pure luck players on the forums allow re-rolls for exceptionally unlikely outcomes.

• @wheatbeer:

3. Low luck encourages micromanaging in an already complex game

I would completely disagree on this one

I think that LL makes it simpler

As you know exactly what you need to win a battle and take a territory, and you know exactly what you need to defend against enemy attacks
    Maybe not quite ‘exactly’ but you can be ~90% sure most of the time

• '17

What I mean by micromanaging is that a player can find the most optimal use for their resources and plan further ahead than pure luck.

Whether or not that’s good or bad comes down to preference.

• @wheatbeer:

What I mean by micromanaging is that a player can find the most optimal use for their resources and plan further ahead than pure luck.

Whether or not that’s good or bad comes down to preference.

You should be planning ahead for optimal resource use whether pure dice or low luck

Almost all of my LL games are really good long games
    Very few of my pure luck games are long good ones

ive about 35 or so games of each

• '17

I’m simply offering an explanation for attitudes toward low luck.  I like playing both styles.

Low luck does let you plan FAR more reliably (this is not necessarily bad).

• @wheatbeer:

Low luck does let you plan FAR more reliably (this is not necessarily bad).

Yes it does.

• Customizer

I’ve tried playing low luck and I don’t care for it myself. I do agree that it speeds up the game, especially in those really big battles. However, I guess I just like the unpredictability of rolling the dice. I like having the chance if I have 2 infantry and get attacked by 6-8 infantry, I might end up rolling two 2s and he ends up getting not a single hit. Of course, he might end up getting 3 or 4 hits and wiping me out while I get nothing on defense. It just seems more thrilling that way, taking that chance. One time I had an attack which included 5 infantry attacking at “1”. I rolled and got FIVE 1s. I couldn’t believe that. What a rush. With low luck, you are cheating yourself of that possibility.

Also, this game really doesn’t take into account the different capabilities of units of different countries. Take fighter planes for example: We have P-38s for USA, Spitfires for UK, Me109s for Germany and Zeros for Japan. Each of these fighters had different capabilities, some were better than the others, some were not as good. In this game though, ALL fighters attack at 3, defend at 4 and move 4 no matter what type of fighter it is. Using Low Luck would make everything even more standardized, which seems kind of boring to me. Taking a chance on the dice, while it doesn’t really answer the differences between types of fighter planes, at least gives you a bit of unpredictability and chance.

If Low Luck is what works for you, then more power to you and I hope you enjoy your games. My games will be strictly roll of the dice.

• '12

I also prefer the roll of the dice.  I suppose I ought to be careful as I have never played out a game in LL.  I really enjoy the different directions that game often takes based on dice rolls.  Every game can be a different game whereas in LL I can see the game tending to play out along predictable ways.  That being said, re-rolls of early outrageous dice should be considered and I have allowed it and suggested it in my games when I was the beneficiary of the opponents bad dice.  If I win, it’s not going to be because my opponent got diced early.

I think it adds to the game when you have to consider and plan for unlikely outcomes.  It forces you to use more forces than you would like to and to hold some forces back for contingency plans.  Everyone is a competent general and planner when the dice are going their way.  The mark of a truly good tactician is the ability to build in flexibility to account for unlikely dice outcomes.  If dice are always determining the outcomes of your game then maybe you ought to play a bit differently.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m