• I need assistance with a good U.S. pacific strategy. This is assuming Germany hit the english fleet pretty hard and goes Barbarossa. Any and all ideas would be great.

• Sponsor

Buy a battleship and 2 carriers for the Pacific turn 1, and 3 bombers for the Pacific turn 2. Chase down the Japanese fleet and sink as much as you can, as quickly as you can, even if it means losing all of your own initial fleet doing it. Japan is only as strong as it’s navy. After the Pacific is empty, buy subs and destroyers and Convoy raid SZ 6.

• Or you could go for a landing on Japan. Somewhat unlikely early-game but if it works…

• @Young:

Buy a battleship and 2 carriers for the Pacific turn 1, and 3 bombers for the Pacific turn 2. Chase down the Japanese fleet and sink as much as you can, as quickly as you can, even if it means losing all of your own initial fleet doing it. Japan is only as strong as it’s navy. After the Pacific is empty, buy subs and destroyers and Convoy raid SZ 6.

Wait,

So with Moscow under pressure you spend nearly all your IPC on the Pacific?

• Sponsor

@techroll42:

Or you could go for a landing on Japan. Somewhat unlikely early-game but if it works…

Too easy to defend when Japan sees it coming, the threat of landing in Tokyo is only good if you want Japan to spend all their money on infantry in their capital (which ain’t so bad).

• Its a good reason as any to keep a TT with a guarding fleet in Hawaii.  Just in case Tokyo ever forgets its there.

• Customizer

Yeah, I have seen a couple of games where Japan left their capital too lightly guarded. They sent all their land units on transports to take the DEI or attack India. They would have a decent naval force around Japan, but very little in the way of land forces or planes. Then along comes the US with a large fleet and 2-3 transports of men and equipment, smashes the Jap navy in SZ 6 and almost walks into Tokyo. It’s a rare occurance, but I have seen it happen.

Another thing that is good for USA to do, once you have the Jap navy taken care of, is to take Iwo Jima and turn it into a bomber base and SBR Japan into the stone age. With subs to convoy raid them, Japan’s income will already be hurting. Then they will have to spend what money they do make on repairing their factory before they can even place any units. If India and China are successful in beating Japan off the mainland, it will get to a point where Japan won’t even be able to place units at all. Meanwhile the US can be spending the bulk of it’s income on troops for Europe.

• Sponsor

@Spendo02:

@Young:

Wait,

So with Moscow under pressure you spend nearly all your IPC on the Pacific?

With the movement restrictions and the 2 ICs in the East, the Atlantic can wait.

• Customizer

I agree. When the US enters the war, their first objective should be to try and shut down Japan as quickly as possible. Not necessarily capturing Tokyo, but at least pound their navy and wreck their plans enough so it should be unlikely that Japan can get the 6 VCs.
    Russia should be able to hold Germany back long enough and if there was no Sealion, UK will be able to harass Germany some and soften up Italy for USA’s eventual arrival in force.

• Hmmm… I like the ideas. But isnt the U.S. to short on aircraft for 2 carriers on turn 1? Japan already starts with a huge aircraft advantage.

• I always invest the first 2 turns in 3 vessels each turn on the pacific side of the map (stupid minor complex). Then I’d probably have my original fleet + 2 battleships, 2 cruisers and 2 destroyers (or 4 destroyers and no cruisers). And I start to attack the japanese fleet. My only real concern is when Japan keeps its fleet all in 1 place, it will still be too strong for the USA to deal with, but this also means that SZ6 is either empty and you can land in Korea (wich I always find an attractive move, open up another front to harrass the Japanese). After 2 turns I switch theatres and invest more in the Atlantic then in the Pacific (but always invest in both as long as it’s necesarry!).

• Customizer

@Strikers:

Hmmm… I like the ideas. But isnt the U.S. to short on aircraft for 2 carriers on turn 1? Japan already starts with a huge aircraft advantage.

Not at all. 1 Fighter in W USA, 2 Fighters on Hawaii and 1 Fighter on Philippines. Round 1 = Buy 1 BB and 2 CV, fly fighter from W USA to Hawaii, fly fighter from Philippines to Guam. Round 2 = Move BB and 2 CV to SZ 26, fly 3 fighters from Hawaii to SZ 26, fly fighter from Guam to SZ 26. 4 fighters on 2 carriers.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

@Strikers:

Hmmm… I like the ideas. But isnt the U.S. to short on aircraft for 2 carriers on turn 1? Japan already starts with a huge aircraft advantage.

Not at all. 1 Fighter in W USA, 2 Fighters on Hawaii and 1 Fighter on Philippines. Round 1 = Buy 1 BB and 2 CV, fly fighter from W USA to Hawaii, fly fighter from Philippines to Guam. Round 2 = Move BB and 2 CV to SZ 26, fly 3 fighters from Hawaii to SZ 26, fly fighter from Guam to SZ 26. 4 fighters on 2 carriers.

Exactly.

• Even better - forget the Battleship on US1 and purchase 2 Fighters instead… with the airbases you own in the Pacific, your fleet remains strong if you keep three Allied fighters more than your Carriers can handle, to land on the airbase your navy is in.

Try maneuvering the UK Pacific starting Battleship to Australia, and eventually move it with the US fleet… it provides a nice defensive backbone.

My goal with the Pacific fleet is to get to 2 Battleships, 4 Carriers + 11 total fighters/tacs with the Allies for capital ships/air power. Add in Anzacians + US fodder, and Japan finds it to be a tough nut to crack if the Allied fleet stays consolidated.

• '17 '16 '15

your goal has a nice force ratio,but

the BB is slower and should be bought before the fighters Imo

• @Stalingradski:

Even better - forget the Battleship on US1 and purchase 2 Fighters instead… with the airbases you own in the Pacific, your fleet remains strong if you keep three Allied fighters more than your Carriers can handle, to land on the airbase your navy is in.

I see what you’re saying, and it’s a good thought, but I think it’s not using all your resources optimally.
    When you’re in a sea zone with an airbase, you want to be able to scramble fighters.  Great idea.

I think the three Anzac fighters that you start with are exactly what you’re looking for, though.
    In addition, you can land those fighters on islands that US takes, right afterwards.  You can’t do that with US fighters.
    That lets you advance with your US fleet a bit quicklier than otherwise.
    US money in the Pacific is more efficiently used on ships and carriers, if you ask me.
    Have Anzac use those 3 fighters as scramblers and invest primarily in Destroyers, to bolster the US fleet’s defense and to act as blockers.

• Sponsor

I agree, however, ANZAC also needs transports as well in case Japan goes island hopping.

• I’ve got a more offensive posture to take if Japan masses in Carolines.  Move the fleet to z30, including the fighter from Philippines and 2 loaded transports.  Land 3 fighters, 1 tac and 1 bomber on Johnston Island and build an airbase there, with 2 more carriers in z10. Leave a destroyer in z25 and maybe z31 to block a landing on Hawaii. Now if Japan attacks anything J2 you can smoke that fleet off carolines and maybe even take the island if they don’t leave a blocker.  Planes that take off from Johnston island will land on the carriers from z10 when they NCM to z30.  ANZAC can help too.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m