Canadian Houserule (aplha+3 rules)

• Dear all,

Ive been playing this game only 3-4 months actively but I love it a lot. I’ve been playing global for a month now I think and I’ve been intrigued by the Canadians that we invented a houserule for them. I thought i’d share it with you. I’ve searched for other topics about canadians but they were older then a year and nothing new has come of it. I thought I’d share mine and maybe if others have another houserule, I’d love to hear about it.

I ordered canadian units on historical board gaming (they have painted pieces and canadian roundels) so that kinda solved my problem. I have no idea how you would split up the units if you don’t have any others. Anyway, here goes:

Canada would take 7 IPC’s and weaken UK in Europe to build against sealion. We solved this by indeed keeping their economies apart, but letting the canadians decide weather they transfer their ipc’s from their original territories (the ones from occupied territorries goes directly to the canadian economy) to the UK or not. This way the UK can still keep their original 28 IPC’s. They still attack together as a united force.

Now, if the UK falls through sealion, Canada declares total independence and becomes a force on it’s own for the remainder of the game (only if london does fall, otherwise they will be treated an entire game as a common force with the UK europe or UK pacific in case some units do end up on the pacific board). They cannot transfer IPC’s anymore, even if UK gets liberated. They cannot attack together anymore either.

If Canadians take over a territory with only Canadian forces, place a canadian marker on it and give the IPCs to the canadians (im also thinking of adding in a +1 or +2 bonus if the Canadians take over an original axis-controlled or pro-axis neutral teritory). If Canada and UK together take over a territory, IPCs will go to the UK.

I still have to tweek NO’s. I only gave the Canadians +3 as soon as the US goes to war and US controls all of it’s original American terrotiries (so if any original US territorry other then the Philipines falls, the Canadians lose their +3 bonus). Theme: closer relations with USA (but if the USA loses a territorry they will spend all on retaking that territorry or defending their homeland so no more support to Canada).

I’m not sure about adding NO’s like a free convoy route to UK as I don’t want to make the Canadian too decisive in the beginning of the game (make it more of an anzac force).

this also makes Brazil interesting to capture by Canada.

Their setup is the same as the original alpha+3 setup only these units become canadian

Quebec: 1 Infantry, 1 Tank, Minor Industrial Complex
    Ontario: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    New Brunswick Nova Scotia: Naval Base
    Sea Zone 106: 1 Transport, 1 Destroyer
    Kwangtung: 2 Infantry, 1 Naval Base (afaik hong kong was defended by canadians).

It worked pretty good for us so far and it’s really satisfying to see them capture norway or land in africa after taking brazil. So the biggest difference between this houserule and the original alpha +3 rules are only when London would be captured. Other then that it would pretty much be the same game with the only exception that IPC’s earned by territories taken over by the canadians, goes to the canadians.

I didn’t give them any vessels or units in the Pacific (other then the 2 infrantry that are going to be destroyed in hong kong) as their main focus in the war was on Europe. However you can pass the panama canal in 1 step if you desire to do so.

I know adding another allied force might slow the game down but this one really doesn’t slow it down too much as they operate under the UK and if the UK falls, they just replace them.

This is our house rule. Let me know what you think!

• Honestly I think Canada should be the “ANZAC of Europe” and function the same as them, going right after ANZAC as well.
    I think they should start with:

Quebec: 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, Minor Industrial Complex
    Ontario: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    New Brunswick Nova Scotia: Naval Base
    Sea Zone 106: 1 Transport, 1 Destroyer
    Kwangtung: 1 Infantry (UK gets 1 and control)

NO: “The Great Alliance:
    1 IPC per unit in any French or original German territory in Europe.”

• 1 IPC per unit, or per territory with at least one Canadian unit in it?

• pretty interesting!

They should have a NO like this:
    For every Land unit in Europe (not Uk or Scotland) they get +1 IPC

• +1 IPC per unit? That could be cool… If they manage to land 4 units in norway, they can sacrifice their transport for doing so because they can buy a new one instantly (4+3). Altho there should be a limit on how much IPC’s they could recieve by this NO(i’d say 7 max or something). It should apply to any european teritorry on the european board excluding all the british original areas (uk, scotland, malta, cyprus and gibraltar) and apply to infrantry, mechs, artillery and tanks (no fighters, bombers, tacs) only.

This could make an interesting NO.

their NO’s should only apply offcourse when they are independant completely from the UK (if london did fall at least once in the game).

• 1 IPC per unit.

• @Rhey:

Canada would take 7 IPC’s and weaken UK in Europe to build against sealion. We solved this by indeed keeping their economies apart, but letting the canadians decide weather they transfer their ipc’s from their original territories (the ones from occupied territorries goes directly to the canadian economy) to the UK or not. This way the UK can still keep their original 28 IPC’s. They still attack together as a united force.

Can London also give their IPCs to Canada? Or, another way to ask the same question,  can London IPCs be spent in Canada, or is Canada restricting to spending 7 IPCs + NO + conquered/liberated territories? One last way to ask it, can money earned by UK from African territories be spent in the Canada IC?

• @MacNaughton:

@Rhey:

Can London also give their IPCs to Canada? Or, another way to ask the same question,  can London IPCs be spent in Canada, or is Canada restricting to spending 7 IPCs + NO + conquered/liberated territories? One last way to ask it, can money earned by UK from African territories be spent in the Canada IC?

Well we’ve never tried it that way. We kinda wanted to make it an ANZAC force in Europe who, at the beginning of the game, is almost ‘restricted’ to submarine-hunting and reinforcing the UK then becomming stronger as the game goes.

But in fact you could because if you play the standard alpha +3 rules, nothing is stopping you from spending the UK Europe IPC’s in your minor factory in Ottawa (then yes, also money earned from african territories count).

I’d say you only can’t transfer money from london to canada anymore when London has fallen.

• UK and scotland wont give ipcs. How about a MAX. of 10 ipcs

• Oh yah, with London I meant European UK :)

• has anyone tried it yet? Was it good? Did it change the game? :?

• We played it and it’s really fun hehe to use the canadians. We always move them to Brazil and then reinforce Africa with those 4 infrantries (1 u drop off and the other 3 u get from Brazil). Then the others we sent to London to reinforce them after USA liberated it. They occupied Norway wich was very important and fought alongside the Russians. It’s really satisfying to put that first Canadian token on an axis territorry :)

It doesn’t really change the game as I tried to keep the game as balanced as possible with the alpha+3 rules. It gives the allies a little bit more breathing space after London falls. It’s like having an anzac force in Europe.

• did they go after UK? or after another country?

• The NO for Canada could be 5 IPCs if there are no axis warships in z107.

• U mean 106

• @empireman:

did they go after UK? or after another country?

At the beginning of the game I bought a sub and another destroyer and went on a submarine hunt.
    Then they helped reinforcing the british after being liberated by the USA. They captured Brasil and Invaded gibraltar and North-Africa alongside the Americans. In the end they were able to invade Norway. The allies claimed victory shorty after that. I found them fun to play with.

I’m thinking of just putting them in as a complete independent force from the beginning starting with the 7 IPC’s from Canada.

Either way they were an original addition to our game without interfering with balance issues. I gave them a spot going behind the UK but maybe it’s better for them to go behind Italy’s turn. That’s something I still have to tweek :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m