• How do you guys defend the atlantic wall? Until now I used to have a large stack of Inf and art in France to push any invaders right back out of Normandy, but i wonder if someone has a better strategy…

• Customizer

Usually I try to build 3 inf each round at the minor complex in Normandy (and S France if Germany took that territory) and 3 inf each round in France which I move over to Holland/Belgium next round. So basically the France IC is just feeding the defense on Holland/Belgium. If the Allies take too long getting an invasion force over there, I can have a pretty good stack of men in those territories.

• 2 Inf, 1 SS in S.France and Normandy each round from G2 forward.

I move all non-Mech/Tnk ground units to Holland.

• Sponsor

Forget defending Normandy, defend Denmark and west Germany instead. Besides, it’s better that the allies land in Nomandy than Norway.

• '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

Stack infantry and artillery in Paris, let the allies land, then kick them back off the continent.  Seems easier than trying to defend Northern Italy, Southern France, Normandy, or Holland.

• You’ve got to defend Northern Italy, it has a mjor industrial complex you don’t want to lose.

• @Spendo02:

2 Inf, 1 SS in S.France and Normandy each round from G2 forward.

That together costs 24 IPCs each round, leaving only 26 or so IPCs to be spent on Russia. You need to devote at least 35 IPCs toward Russia each turn if you want to make any sort of progress.

My preferred strategy is to pile infantry and artillery in France, as it far easier to counter the allies when they have no naval bombardment or US fighters. From France you can cover Normandy/Bordeaux, Holland/Belgium, W. Germany, Northern Italy, and Southern France.

• Sponsor

@KillOFzee:

@Spendo02:

2 Inf, 1 SS in S.France and Normandy each round from G2 forward.

That together costs 24 IPCs each round, leaving only 26 or so IPCs to be spent on Russia. You need to devote at least 35 IPCs toward Russia each turn if you want to make any sort of progress.

My preferred strategy is to pile infantry and artillery in France, as it far easier to counter the allies when they have no naval bombardment or US fighters. From France you can cover Normandy/Bordeaux, Holland/Belgium, W. Germany, Northern Italy, and Southern France.

Agreed, a solid strategy.

• That’s actually in-game a great plan. The fact of the matter is that naval and air bombardments are critical, and pulling back eliminates that.

Here’s a crazy idea if you really want to put fighters into your landing: Build a Russian transport north of Leningrad and use it to “can opener” Normandy-Bordeaux so US fighters can land.

Sure, there’s no naval bombardments, but you could leave just enough to force a German counterattack and then hit them again.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Pfttp, Atlantic Wall.  What a bunch of HOG WASH.  There’s no point in HOLDING anything.

Let the allies land, then nuke their split up navies.

Keeping a vibrant/robust luftwaffe and good tactical awareness/control of the regia marine will prevent all your problems with allied landings.  Units built in West Germany, are enough in the region to take back any “slip ups”.  And you can still send units EAST from there anyways.

• @techroll42:

Here’s a crazy idea if you really want to put fighters into your landing: Build a Russian transport north of Leningrad and use it to “can opener” Normandy-Bordeaux so US fighters can land.

Or land UK fighters on a US landing force.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Build a Russian transport north of Leningrad

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• ^Well said.

Russia building a TT is usually a great way to waste 7 IPCs.

If you’re looking to reinforce your Normandy landings against German counter-attacks, it’s still quite possible.
    Take it with your US landings, and reinforce with UK troops/AA guns and the RAF.  Typically the RAF is larger than the US air presence in that region anyway.

• '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

@MacNaughton:

You’ve got to defend Northern Italy, it has a mjor industrial complex you don’t want to lose.

In the face to face games that I’ve played, Italy has never needed the extra industrial capacity.  Two minors have been good enough for Italian production once the american fleet has come knocking in the Mediterranean.  On the other hand, it would nice as Italy to have enough income to need that production capacity.

• Customizer

@techroll42:

If I’m Germany, I would LOVE to see Russia spending money on ships. Heck, I even like to see them buying fighters or tacs. Sure fighters can be tough to take on, but they still only require 1 hit to kill, which is better than 3 land units.
    Of course, ANY ship requires NO hits to kill in Moscow.

• It’s a crazy idea that will only work if the Luftwaffe is out of position.

But if you can use it to land USAAF planes, it might be worth it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m