• I’m trying to decide whether its worth sending all European ships in the Atlantic to India while purchasing navy with the Indians. If the Indian navy is strong it means Japan is less likely to attack capital via sea. If the Japanese decide to kill the Indian fleet with all their planes it will cripple their navy against the USA in the future. If Japan ignores the fleet, you have the possibility of sending an enormous navy towards the Mediterranean quickly.

I’m confused about the rules though for West India now? Can UK Europe build a factory there even though the ipcs now go towards UK pacific? If so, that means your navy could become massive with 50 bucks worth of navy a round being built in the adjacent sea zones.

Might even allow USA to spend the majority of its income in Europe.

• '12

I don’t think that an Indian fleet is feasiable for a couple of reasons.  First, the Japanese naval and air power is so large that a determined Japanese player will crush a UK pacific fleet irregardless how much money you spend on beefing up your naval forces.  If you are worried about Japan attacking Calcutta, then it is best to invest heavly in Infantry and other defensive units… the UK in the Pacific has to hold back the Japanese land forces in Asia once China falls, thus a land unit buy is more favorable.  While you do have the possibility of bringing naval forces from other areas, I would advise against this as you need the UK navy in the Atlantic to put pressure on Germany.

When it comes to Western India, that territory is actually a part of the UK Pacific faction, so unfortunatley the UK Atlantic side could not buy a factory on that territory.

• Yeah. They decided that India (West) should be a part of India, so it is no longer tied to UKE.

• Any fleet you could muster off India will pale in comparison to the full weight of the Japanese Naval Aggression.

I don’t like relocating units from one theater to another, there is a reason why they were put there.  You don’t want to hand Italy the Med on I1 because it will get big creating issues for both Moscow and also for the US getting into the Med (better route IMO than Normandy).

Italy has a very hard time replacing units on its limited income.  Its a better trade off sinking Italian ships it can’t easily replace than preserving the UK ships or redirecting them to India to face a superior force.

• I agree. As UK, the only time I would move units out of the Med is if it’s hopeless and I want the units out so Italy won’t destroy them. I’d bring a fleet in if either a. it was fleeing Japan or b. I felt like it would make THE difference in who gains control of the Med.

Put simply, if the UK can hold the Med (as it did IRL), it’ll be virtually impossible for Italy to do anything in N. Africa.

Couple this with a few minor builds in Union of South Africa and the game can be won easily.

• @techroll42:

I agree. As UK, the only time I would move units out of the Med is if it’s hopeless and I want the units out so Italy won’t destroy them. I’d bring a fleet in if either a. it was fleeing Japan or b. I felt like it would make THE difference in who gains control of the Med.

Put simply, if the UK can hold the Med (as it did IRL), it’ll be virtually impossible for Italy to do anything in N. Africa.

Couple this with a few minor builds in Union of South Africa and the game can be won easily.

So what are your ideal moves for UK1 in regard to Italy and your fleets?  Its almost certain death if you sit in any of the SZ’s and allow Italy to combine its two fleets from SZ95 and SZ97.

• I can’t remember the SZ’s, but I hit the destroyer off Malta and the BB and cruiser fleet. Usually try to manage with Med AF/Navy only, and this sort of works if cruiser 91 survives, but sometimes I’ll put the Strat into the battle and land it in Malta.

• Suppose Japan moves everything off Kwangsi and appears to be planning a move on India J3.

A naval defense of India might start by taking Sumatra and moving the carrier (& tac) and other ships from z98 and z71 to reach z39 by round 2.  Also throw in the ANZAC destroyer and cruiser, and the French destroyer.  UK Pacific starts with $17 and earns $21 for a grand total of of $38.  Lets suppose they save up and build 2 carriers and a sub.  They now have 1 sub, 5 destroyers, 3 cruisers, 1 battleship, and 3 carriers.

Now let’s suppose the Russians fly 2 fighters to Kazakhstan and then to India (assuming they have been attacked by G3 and east Persia has been activated so they can fly over it). If UK leaves 1 plane on India and 3 on the carriers, and then ANZAC lands 3 fighters from Queensland on the carriers, the defense now has the fleet listed above plus 2 tac and 7 fighters including the Russians.  If the Russians are not available, then build 1 sub, 1 carrier and 2 destroyers, with 1 UK and 3 ANZAC planes on the 2 carriers.

When japan attacks z39 they will not have a landing spot for all of their fighters and tactical bombers from Kwangsi, even with an airbase.  They will have their ships, bombers, carrier based planes that may land on Yunnan or Shan state if available, and 6 Kwangsi based planes that can land on the carriers.  Their other planes will support the amphibious landing. Japan may win the naval and land battles to take India but their fleet and airforce will be seriously drained.

If Japan chickens out (ie because they didn’t have Yunnan or Shan) and the Americans have put ships off Queensland, then the combined fleets might merge round 3, perhaps next to an allied territory where an airbase can be built (Sumatra or Java?).  Merging those fleets is easier said than done though.

• Customizer

The only problem with that strategy is you are practically giving the Med to Italy. Even if you are successful in scaring the Japs away from India, by the time your ships get back to the Med, Italy will be very strong in N Africa, maybe even taken Egypt by then.

• Sure, but if USA has less to worry about with japan, they can focus on Rome.

• It’s an interesting strat Vance, I guess you would move the Med & S Afr fleet to sz80 UK1 (taking Persia on the way, good place for an IC to attempt getting units to Egypt later?), then on to sz39 UK2 etc…

I think it helps you in a “Win the Pac Strat” (Jap will be overloaded), but you are selling out the Med to Italy, and opening up for the Germans to squeeze UK London or take it. The deterrent to Sea lion (besides new set up), is the Med fleet being in striking distance, or be in a position to make them fight in the sea’s around UK.

I’m not sure that handing the axis control of both the Med, and the Atlantic early on is a good thing. If the Germans/Italians don’t have to watch their backs until the US can float over which could be turn 5 by time US can get to the coast depending on when Jap attacks faced with an aggressive UK in the Pac (maybe UK attacks for Jap for their war bonuses?). It gives the axis too much time to squeeze UK London, as they march to Moscow IMO. I don’t think it’s a win for the axis, but they will be piling up VC in Europe.

• Yeah I’m not saying it’s necessarily a game winner, but it is one way to take a bite out of Japan’s plans.

• It is a good strategy but IMO the advantage it gives Italy outweighs what it takes away from Japan.

And who says Japan will attack India amphibiously? (A good idea but not a requirement)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m