• I love A&A and Global 1940 is my favourite. Unfortunately, i have a problem with the factory rule. I believe buying a major factory and placing on a 3 anywhere makes no sense and ruins the game. The US could land in Korea and 1 turn later 10 tanks or ships could appear. Game over. I find it ridiculous that an industrial complex to rival the East or West US, the Ruhr or the UK could spring up in 1 turn(6 months), when these regions have needed 100 years to build up. The older A&A rules on IPC unit building worked. Perhaps capital ship building could also be restricted to factories with naval bases too.

• in the new alpha rules, things are as you desire ^^
    there, you can only build major IC’s on territories that belong only to your nation (so japan is only country that can place on Korea, germany only on romania, netherlands, slovakia and norway, etc.)
    the minor IC’s can still be placed anywhere that’s worth 2 and isn’t an island.

• Frontovik is right. Alpha+3 makes this near-perfect change, and it solves your problem.

• thank you. I have not heard of this alpha.Where do i find it? I also thought to reflect US’ unpreparedness for war(and unwillingness for one) that perhaps a freeze on their IPC collection, until attacked, was appropriate. To a lesser extent russia too.I  also wonder if they should be able to move and, therefore, prepare at all. This, i believe, keeps both attacks a surprise and gives both axis a reason not to attack. To compensate, a one off bonus could be given once attacked.

• thank you. I have not heard of this alpha.Where do i find it? I also thought to reflect US’ unpreparedness for war(and unwillingness for one) that perhaps a freeze on their IPC collection, until attacked, was appropriate. To a lesser extent russia too.I  also wonder if they should be able to move and, therefore, prepare at all. This, i believe, keeps both attacks a surprise and gives both axis a reason not to attack. To compensate, a one off bonus could be given once attacked

• Thank you both. Do either of you think the US, and possibly Russia, should have IPCs and movements frozen until attacked? This would better reflect axis surprise attacks.

• @wittman:

Thank you both. Do either of you think the US, and possibly Russia, should have IPCs and movements frozen until attacked? This would better reflect axis surprise attacks.

Now that is an interesting idea! Out of historical context the thing that really bugged me when playing as japan is the lack of a potent surprise attack, and the same ability to dig deep into Russia as Germany. Of course, playing as the Axis there is a limit to me wanting a true historical setting ;)
    Would have been fun to see a discussion on pro’s and con’s for your suggestion, or even tweaking it to a stack limit or limited action radius, similar to what the US already has in the Atlantic.
    Good thinking, even though it may not happen - officially ;)

• I tried something with Russia where they COULD move prior to Barbarossa but if Germany declares war Germany can run 2 combat moves in Russian territories in a row (reflecting the surprise of the attack). I’d make an exception for IC territories.

As for the US, I think the following should be allowed: the Europe rules remain the same (as in 102 patrols only), but in Pacific the US can only move troops from Phillipines back to Hawaii, from Western US to Hawaii, and from Hawaii to Western US.

As for building limits, I’m not sure how to go about it because then you get either a ridiculously rich US to counter any Axis moves, or a ridiculously tech’ed up US.

I think a reasonable rule for Russia is until Germany attacks Russia the Siberian infantry must stay on a Pacific map.

• Customizer

In the original A&A Pacific, during Japan’s first combat turn, ALL Allied units only defend at a “1” to represent the surprise and swiftness of the Japanese advance throughout the southwest Pacific, plus the inadequate preparedness of the Allied forces, the romoteness of their colonies (meaning no reinforcements any time soon) and the rather common-held belief at the time that the Japanese troops, pilots and equipment were not that good.
    The only exception were attacks against Chinese troops in Chinese territories, which makes sense since the Chinese had already been at war with the Japanese for about 10 years prior to the game’s starting point.
    Perhaps that’s something that could be considered for Pacific 1940/Global 1940.  In Japan’s first attack against Western Allies (USA, UK and ANZAC), all defending Allied units defend at a “1”.  It would be interesting to see how much of a game changer that might be.  I’m sure that Japan would want to try and hit as many places as possible that first round to take full advantage of the surprise.

@techroll42:

I think a reasonable rule for Russia is until Germany attacks Russia the Siberian infantry must stay on a Pacific map.

Not sure that would be very beneficial for Japan, especially if they want to gobble up some Russian territories.  If those Siberian infantry start heading for Moscow, that would make for a few easy extra IPCs for Japan and they may need it.

• @knp7765

Moving the Siberian infantry away may save Moscow for a turn…

• Customizer

Yeah, I understand that, especially if they get to Moscow before the German advance.  If the German advance is quick enough and the Russian forces in the West aren’t able to slow it down, the Siberian infantry may not even get to Moscow in time.  If you incorporate this new rule, that would almost certainly be the case as Russia is a long ways for those foot soldiers to walk across.  Of course, they possibly could get there in time for a Russian counter attack to retake Moscow, especially if the Germans survive with only a few units left.

I guess it comes down to a choice:  either allow Japan a few quick and easy IPCs in the Siberion territories, or make it somewhat easier for Germany to take Moscow.  Of course, if Japan REALLY wanted to be a proper ally to Germany, they should send their troops and planes in to kill those Siberian infantry as quickly as possible so they definitely won’t be aiding in Moscow’s defense or in any counter attacks.

I just think that what to do with the SIberian infantry should be up to the Russian player and not some rule imposed upon him.

• “…I also thought to reflect US’ unpreparedness for war(and unwillingness for one) that perhaps a freeze on their IPC collection, until attacked, was appropriate. To a lesser extent russia too…”

Perhaps US and Russian units cost double before they are at war?  (Infantry=6, Tank=12, Fighter=20, etc.)  Of course, they could just save the cash until they are actually at war, and then have a really huge bank account to spend on their first turn.  But this tactic wouldn’t help the Russians as much, since they only have the capacity to build 16 units per turn, regardless of how much cash they have.  And I can’t see them spending money to build more factories, since the only territories they own worth 2 IPCs or more are likely to be German owned pretty quickly once Barbarossa kicks off.

• Well but the same case could be made for the US in the Atlantic.

• Well, if you want to prevent the US and USSR from getting unrealistically massive prior to entering the war, you could just say all their units cost double normal price until they are attacked or are allowed to declare war themselves.  (Infantry cost 6, Tanks cost 12, etc.)  This would give Japan added incentive to avoid attacking Russia early.  Now, the US and USSR could just refuse to spend anything until they enter the war and are allowed to buy units at regular price.  This would give them a massive bank roll to spend on their first turn of combat.  But it probably wouldn’t help Russia as much, since they can only build a maximum of 19 units per turn anyway in their 4 factories.  It means Germany would have extra incentive for strategic bombing raids.

Perhaps also allow US to give Lend-Lease money to Britain, China, and USSR prior to entering the war (assuming the USSR is in the war before the US).  Roll a die for each turn for each country the US tries to give IPCs to:

1-2 = all IPCs arrive safely
    3-4 = 75% of IPCs arrive safely (round fractions of .5 or more up)
    5 = 50% of IPCs arrive safely (round fractions of .5 or more up)
    6 = 25% of IPCs arrive safely (round franctions of .5 or more up)

• I too  had thougth of halving their money when not at war, so like your idea of giving it all if it is saved until attacked. Still think capital ships should only be built where a sea base exists and no major factory be built where  a minor one does not start(Norway and Romania}.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m