1940 oob pieces: scale and color matching

• Hello, my first post on these forums.

Could someone provide the scales for the various oob game pieces (ie. 1/72 for infantry)?

Edit: Answer from group:

Tanks 1/300 to 1/285
    Planes 1/600 to 1/700
    Ships 1/2400 to 1/4000
    Infantry 1/87 to 1/72

Also, what paint (brand/color name/#) do you use to match the color of the various oob pieces?

Thanks!
    Andrew

• Customizer

Actually, those scales aren’t quite right.
    The Infantry is 1/72 scale.  FMG’s Italian infantry I think is 1/87 scale.
    The tanks are right about 1/285 scale.  Below is a pic of an OOB Panther tank with a GHQ 1/285 scale Panzer III.  The Panther was a bigger tank so that should be about right.  Sorry I don’t have a GHQ Panther for comparison.
    The Planes are a little bigger than 1/700 scale.  Look at my pic of an OOB Japanese Zero next to a 1/700 scale Zero.  I would guess the planes are closer to 1/600 scale, maybe 1/650.

The ships are MUCH smaller than 1/2400.  I have a set of 9 battleships in 1/2400 scale and one is the Bismarck.  You can see the OOB Bismarck is dwarfed by comparison.  I think the battleships and aircraft carriers are closer to 1/4000 scale.  Transports, Destroyers and Submarines may be closer to 1/2400 scale.  Not sure about Cruisers.

OOB Tanks.JPG
    OOB Planes.JPG
    OOB Ships.JPG

• Het thanks, this is helpful. Anyone want to take a stab at my 2nd question regarding the color matching?

• Customizer

Hmm… as far as the color matching goes, that’s tough.  Even when the paint bottle says “German Gray” it isn’t necessarily the shade that matches - and there are so many brands to choose from.  I’ve just put a few infantry in my pocket and compared them with the choices at the hobby/craft store…  :|

• also in response to scale. tanks and such are definatly 1/285 i have loads from ghq and cinc  and match well.
    infantry are closest to 1/76 and in my tests with comparison with my shq 1/76 us vietnam miniatures and a 1/72 sculpted by the same artist. the 1/72 was bigger compared to the oob mini while 1/76 were spot on. that said not a magor difference with 1/72. 
    also different manufacturers have differrent sizes anyway when you compare there 1/72 scales all together or any other scale.

i have some 1/600 planes and they seem spot on

the ships are alll over the place. each ship is a different scale only the liberty ship is close to 1/2400 scale < 13900cm /2400 = 5.7cm or 13900/3000 = 4.6 cm> all the rest were modelled for the game board

• Thanks, those scales seem to be a good rule of thumb. What source do you use for you 1/600 planes?

• i have planes from both Oddzial Osmy and Tumbling Dice and I i like both.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m