New A&A player aircraft carrier question

• Well, this is my first time posting on the forum, so greetings to everyone! I’ve actually been playing the original Europe and Pacific for a little while now, but just recently was lucky enough to find a copy of Europe 1940 - which definitely seems to be a huge improvement over the original theater game (which is still a great!).

My friend and I have been sorting through the rulebook and we’ve come across some rules questions about carriers that I thought you all would probably be able to clear up. It concerns the movement that carriers are allowed make in their interaction with aircraft. First, during combat movement, are carriers allowed to move sea zones if they are launching aircraft into a battle? What I mean is, can a fighter take off from a carrier into an enemy sea zone while the carrier moves one or two spaces into a non-hostile sea zone? Likewise, can a carrier move two movement spaces and then launch aircraft so that the fights and tactical bombers are in range of the intended target? Or, can the carrier only move during combat movement if it is actually entering into a hostile sea zone?

Secondly, during noncombat movement, after fighters and tactical bombers land on a carrier, is that carrier then allowed to move its full two movement spaces? Also, I believe that at least in the 1940 rules (please correct me if I am wrong) carriers that did not make a combat move are allowed to make a noncombat movement so as to allow planes to land. However, in the original Pacific rulebook it seems to state that the first part of noncombat movement is landing planes, and that by landing a plane on a carrier you end noncombat movement for that carrier. Is that the case in the 1940 rules?

Anyhow, I tried to word all of that as clearly as I could - hope I didn’t make myself appear like too much of a noob. Thank you all in advance for your help!

• hello and welcome!
    1  launch planes
    2 move carrier into battle  if not going to fight wait and move in ncm if you even move at all
    3 land planes
    basically you can’t extend the range of your fighters and they have to have a place to land
    I’m sure someone will give you a more detailed answer

• When dealing with Aircraft carriers and their planes the simplest way to think of it is this : The planes are already in the air at the start of your turn.  The Carrier and the Planes make their movements separately from one another.

So, you can take your planes into combat (up to their maximum movement that turn) as long as they have somewhere to land, be that the carrier or a land space.  Your carriers can either sit still during combat movement and then move (or not) on your non combat movement, or move into combat and end their turn there.

You cannot use the carrier to cheat the system and extend your planes range.  ;)

During non combat movement, all units move, THEN then planes “land” at the end of the turn when nothing else is left to move … again, you can’t cheat the system to extend your planes range.  :P

Hopefully that clears up things (I have a tendancy to try to over explain)

• Official Q&A

Welcome, oklahomasailor52!

The same is true in the original Europe and Pacific.  Fighters and carriers make their moves independently of one another (unless the fighters are guests and remain aboard the carrier as cargo).  Fighters launch before either piece moves and land after each piece completes its move.  In order for a fighter to land on a carrier, both pieces must end their respective moves in the same sea zone.

• I spent 4 years at O.S.U. back in the mid 80’s It’swhere I first saw the game and played it
      Welcome to the forum    GO POKES!!!    or COWBOYS!!!

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

A fellow Okie!!!
    Welcome and need to come play a game with us.
    We are playing the last weeekend in Jan and I live in Tulsa.
    email me!

• Thinking of the planes and carrier as moving independently of one another clears everything up for me! Thank you all!

@ surprise attack - I actually am a pretty big OSU fan! Thought they got cheated out of the BCS game this season, though the game against Stanford was quite electrifying.  I went to the University of Tulsa but the Pokes are definitely my “big league” team.

@coachofmany - I’m actually in the Tulsa area for a few more months until I head off to OCS sometime in the summer. Where do you all normally play?

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

We play at my house, playing at the end of the month.
    email me!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m