G40 Alpha 3, new to Forum, not to AA

• '17 '16 '15 '12

Geetings,

anyone up to give me my first game here, please?

Probably means to have some patience with me to sort out technicalities, think I understand the dicing here and have ABattleMap and the latest version of the G40 Alpha 3+ map (I think, it looks like in any case ;) )

I will type out all my moves as best as possible and try to be reasonably quick, but having a young family means I cant react instantly to new turns.

Ah and yes, I am up for World at War and classic Axis as well :)

Have a fulfilling 2012 all!

• Hi Alex.  Sure I will play with you.  Would you like to be axis or allies?

• '17 '16 '15 '12

Hi Vance,

thx a lot for positively replying.

Axis or allies, I dont mind so much, but if you dont have a strong preference I will play the Axis.

I am living in Europe, how about you? (asking because of the time zone difference). Will do my best to keep the game flowing, I will start the game thread Thursday evening (local time, that is).

One question in general, a bit puzzled about this: How do you handle order of loss here? In the Forum games I follow there is not much communication about that, looks like the attacker is handling this. From lowest to highest cost in land battles, I guess, but for naval ones that include carriers, or withdrawing defending subs?

Thx for clearing those questions, see you later on the map :)

• Hi Alex,
    Sure, go ahead and post your G1 and I will look for it later.  I am in Eastern Canada but you will find that people all over the world play on here and usually people just do a turn per day or so depending on their job, family, etc.  So best case is a round may take about a week if both people are posting regularly.  It is slow but I find that taking the extra to think about every move has really helped my game.  The other way playing online helps develop your skill is that finding local players for face to face games is very hard and finding good players who you can learn something from is almost impossible.  I got sick of trying to coax people into letting me teach them this crazy long game and eventually I ran out of friends.

As for OOL, the attacker usually decides if it is obvious (i.e. first to go are the units with the lowest defense value or that cost the most) but if it is not clear, then the polite thing to do is roll the attack and then wait for the other person to check your post and decide what to lose.  Take off those units and roll the second round, etc.  Writing something like “waiting for your OOL?” is good too because the other person might just think you had to go away to work or whatever.  Declaring OOL slows things down but usually its not a problem except in complicated naval battles.

Anyway, go ahead and post your first move and we will take it from there.  In my first online game I made a tonne of mistakes so feel free to ask about anything.  I am more or less clear on all the rules of the game now too so if you are fuzzy about any of them just ask and I will tell you or find out the answer for you.

–Vance

• '17 '16 '15 '12

Thx Vance for the explanation, very reassuring.

Re the rules, no worries, I know them well (more importantly I know where to look). Errors might creep in due to the unaccustomed map, but I guess I can keep that to a minimum. I gladly accept any immediate correction of an error, in any case.

Yep, finding locals is tough (even tried with my gf…), especially ones that will challenge you to raise your own game (there are some, of course, but regular gaming is only a fantasy).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m