Which Pacific power would you win with?

• Sponsor

Lets get to the bottom of this once and for all, I took the Allies.

• Don’t the economies of the Pacific combined nearly double that of Japan’s once all the powers are brought into the war?  Basically means unless the UK or Anzac are eliminated when the US enters the war, Japan doesn’t have much of a chance.  Thats why I chose allies as the India Crush isn’t a guaranteed win.

• Sponsor

I just feel that if the US buys and plays smart, the Pacific allies shouldn’t have any difficulty protecting Honalulu and Sydney while threatening Japanese convoys in the second half of the game.

• I think that, unless Japan can get some early strategic footholds, it is easier for the Allies. America can easily outmatch the Japanese navy by turn 3, 4, or 5. Japan needs to buy transports and ground units to take victory cities.

The thing about Japan is that even if it can match the U.S. fleet, it can’t protect its transports from UK and ANZAC. A few subs, bombers, or fighters can destroy Japan’s transports with relative ease. Regardless of what Japan can take in terms of IPCs, if it does not have enough transports to take Sydney or Hawaii, Japan can’t win.

There are two primary ways I see Japan winning; number one, if Germany is doing well enough against the Russians and Atlantic UK. If you can distract America from the Pacific for just a little while, you might be able to secure strategic locations with your transports, allowing you to get an edge when the U.S turns its attention back on Japan. Alternatively, if Japan can secure India quickly, then Japan can turn 100% of its economy to naval, in which case it will overpower the US.

• Pacific in Global I don’t think Japan has much of a chance of winning, but in pacific stand alone I think it is Japans advantage.

• Poor Japan, No one wants to win with them!

I voted allies because I think with a coordinated strategy the allied powers in the pacific (US, Commonwealth, China, USSR) should be able to first check Japans advance and then contain her without too much difficulty.

• Customizer

I had to pick the Allies as well.  When the US is at war, they have nearly double Japan’s income.  Then you add three small income powers to that, Japan is really hard pressed to come out ahead.
    @theROCmonster:

Pacific in Global I don’t think Japan has much of a chance of winning, but in pacific stand alone I think it is Japans advantage.

Actually, I think you have it turned around.  With just Pacific 40, Japan is the only Axis power and has nothing but Allies pounding on her alone.  At least with Global 40, the US may get distracted and go to try and help out Russia and UK against Germany or go and bully Italy around.  Then when US is looking the other way, Japan has a chance to whomp on the smaller Allies.

Although, US does make a lot less in Pacific 40 alone.  They start out making only 17 IPCs then go up to 57 when at war, right?  That is for OOB play and the only US NO is jumping up 40 IPCs for war time production. 
    If we play Pacific alone now, do we use the Alpha+3 NOs for USA?  That would be $5 for the Philippines, $5 for Alaska, Hawaii, Aleutian, Johnston and Line Islands, $10 for W US? and $5 for Mexico?  Even with that, it’s only $25  in NOs for a total of $42 IPCs for the USA at war.
    Does anybody know if the ALpha+3 NOs apply to Europe 40 and Pacific 40 alone, or are they ONLY for Global 40?

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

Pacific in Global I don’t think Japan has much of a chance of winning, but in pacific stand alone I think it is Japans advantage.

So you agree that the Pacific allies will beat Japan with the absence of sealion?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

If you had to win

I wanted to select Japan.  But if I HAD to win, it’s always easier to win as the allies.  The Onus is on the Axis at all times.

• @Gargantua:

The Onus is on the Axis at all times.

Perhapse the most accurate things ever said here on the boards.

and to me thats how it should be, it should be a challange for the Aixs powers to win, everytime, otherwise what would be the fun in playing?

• Japan! because even though they are out-numbered and out-resourced, after your initial expansion the allies must bring the fight to you which is easier said then done!

• Sponsor

@Enigmatic_Decay:

Japan! because even though they are out-numbered and out-resourced, after your initial expansion the allies must bring the fight to you which is easier said then done!

The right attitude to have if you’re playing Japan in the big game at the FMGC 2012 😜

• Take everything you can and let them try to take it back strategy.  Sounds entertaining!

• I’d have to say Japan is much more fun to play as than the allies, but if I wanted to win in global I’d choose allies just because I can put all of US’s 72 dollars into this theatre giving axis no chance.

• The Axis always have a chance!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

the big game at the FMGC 2012

You’re going to get crushed at the big game. :) Count on it…

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

the big game at the FMGC 2012

You’re going to get crushed at the big game. :) Count on it…

My team is awesome, we will prevail.

• Crushed? hahahahaha I laughed so hard that I ripped out your heart and ate it!
    (Rather bitter and in need of some salt and pepper I must say!)

• I’m sorry I meant that Japan has no chance. US putting 100% of her money into the pacific means the axis have no chance of winning on the pacific board, but that the atlantic board looks very likely to pull off a victory.

• I usually prefer to play as the UK-ANZAC-China grouping of nations against Japan (the “hold the line group” as we call them). I can usually pull off an effective defense of  the UK-ANZAC until the US gets involved. I have been espically good with the ANZAC creating a powerful little fleet with aircover over Oueensland. While not strong enough to sortie out on their own right away its enough to cause Japan to dedicate a sizeable amount of resources if they wanted to take it out. If they choose not to attack them it provides a jumping point of the US, and ANZAC forces after a while, into the DEI to start to screw with Japans economy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m