• I guess I must have “misread” somewhere, but I thought the US couldn’t move outside the US until at War with Axis in the Atlantic.  I’m reading where some US players are flying bombers and aircraft off of US and getting them to UK prior to being at War?

Is this new Alpha 3 rule or did I miss something in Alpha 2?

Thanks,
    Doc

• Customizer

No, you are correct.  The US can NOT send planes to England until they are formally at war with the Axis in Europe.  Realistically, if the US can declare war, they will do so on ALL Axis powers.  Theoretically, it is possible that the US could declare war on the Axis on only one side or the other and remain neutral on the other side.  Not wise for an Allied victory.

I think the post you read was if Japan had already dragged the US into the war and he was talking about what US should do then.

• In alpha 3, the Political Situation rules for USA are….

“…the United States may end the movement of its sea units on the Europe map only in sea zones that are adjacent to US territories, with one exception - US warships (not transports) may also conduct long-range patrols into sea zone 102.”

• That’s what I thought.  I must have missed the part where Japan had already declared War.

• @knp7765:

Theoretically, it is possible that the US could declare war on the Axis on only one side or the other and remain neutral on the other side.  Not wise for an Allied victory.

The US would not be neutral on the other side.  The only power that has split neutrality is Russia.  The US would simply not be at war with Germany or Italy, but they aren’t “neutral” as a neutral power cannot move into or through other territories, and cannot have other powers move through or into a neutral territory.

As soon as Japan allows the US to enter the war, the US becomes a full fledged “Allied” power - no longer neutral in any theatre (though perhaps only at war with Japan at that point).

• Customizer

So, if Japan and USA were at war, but USA did NOT declare war on Germany or Italy, you are saying it would be okay for US planes to land in London?  Or for British units to be on US territories?  I’m pretty sure that the USA has to be at war on that side for that to happen.  Of course, if Germany attacked London then they would be attacking those US units which is an automatic declaration of war by Germany on the USA.

• @knp7765:

So, if Japan and USA were at war, but USA did NOT declare war on Germany or Italy, you are saying it would be okay for US planes to land in London?  Or for British units to be on US territories?

Yes.

@knp7765:

I’m pretty sure that the USA has to be at war on that side for that to happen.

Not true.  Only Russia has split neutrality.  Once any other player power is at war in one theatre, any neutrality rules are lifted.  In point of fact, the only player powers that have neutrality rules placed on them are the US and Russia.  The UK starts at war with Germany, even in the Pacific theatre, and does not act as a neutral power would on that side of the board, even if Japan does not provoke them.  This is part of the reason that the UK can immediately move into FIC or the Dutch colonies.  It’s also why British & Anzac planes can overfly Japanese territories and vice versa (as Japan is at war with China) prior to hostilitiies between Japan/Commonwealth.

@knp7765:

Of course, if Germany attacked London then they would be attacking those US units which is an automatic declaration of war by Germany on the USA.

Germany would need to officially declare war on the US before being allowed to attack any territory with US units in it.  It’s a formality, but it’s not automatic.  And as that’s prior to a combat move, that declaration is necessary to determine any movement blocks.

• Right on KC!  You are a fountain of knowledge :)

• Customizer

Very interesting.  Always seem to be learning something new about this game.  We have always gone on the assumption that until the US is actively at war, they can not land troops or planes on an Allied country because they are not technically Allies yet.  Of course, once the USA is dragged into war on either side, they DOW on all Axis anyway so they can land anywhere that is Allied.  We’ve never had a game where USA did not DOW on all the Axis.  Still, an interesting theoretical problem.

Thanks for your answers kcdzim.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m