Playing forum games via TripleA is easy, especially if you're already familiar with TripleA. The process of playing-by-forum is nearly identical to playing by email.
Let's assume you've never played TripleA before. Follow these steps....
1. Download and install TripleA. http://sourceforge.net/projects/triplea/files/
Use the latest stable version (right now its 1614). Depending on your system, either download tripleA with java or the triplea all platforms zip. Click the exe file to install it.
2. Start TripleA and download the appropriate maps. To download maps, use this guide.http://www.tripleawarclub.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=1&post_id=941#forumpost941
3. Start a "Local Game" using the map you are interested in and check out how it works. Everything is done with a mouse. Speed commands (like hitting ctrl to select all) are similar to Battlemap commands. It could take a few games to get used to it. If you don't want to practice by playing against yourself, then log onto the live lobby for a game or two to practice. You can also observe live games on the lobby.
4. Once you get a feel for TripleA, let's move onto using it to play-by-forum. PBF is very similar to PBEM (play by email). See this helpful guide.http://www.tripleawarclub.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=256
The program has its own dice server. When you play in PBF mode, it emails you the dice results. So the email addresses for all players need to be registered with the dice server. Visithttp://dice.tripleawarclub.org
and register your email. Once you do that, check your email and click on the confirmation link.
5. Now you're ready to start a forum game.
-Start a new topic in the "Play Boardgames" section here at A&A forums.
-Now open up TripleA
-Choose the map you want to use on the left side, then click "Start PBEM Game" (see the PBEM guide link above for a visual guide).
-Enter the email addresses for yourself and your opponent(s) in email address field. If there are lots of email addresses, just separate them with a semi-colon.
-Choose the dicey server you want (normally http://dice.tripleawarclub.org/
-In the "ID" field, put in the 5 digit url for the thread you started (for example, if we look at the url for this thread it is 25868--we input that number).
-Now turn on "post turn summary" and "post save game file"
-Click "test post" and check the A&A forums thread. The test post should post within 20 seconds.
-Go to "Game Options" and input the dice/tech/bid preferences that your intend to use in your game.
-Then click "play" and execute your turn.
-If you need to ask about scramble/intercept/order of loss, post the combat move, or simply save the file and attach it to a forum post.
6. At the end of your first turn, a box will come up asking if you want to post the save game file and summary. Click yes. Once you are finished with your turn, the system will auto-post the turn summary and attach a save file.
7. When your opponent plays, he/she simply opens the attached save file. Then "Start PBEM Game". The URL and the email addresses should all be there, and post save game and post turn summary should be on. But double-check anyway. Do the test post. Then press play!
8. That's it! You play the game out this way, and there is no need for typing and no need to worry about checking your opponent's map for accuracy. Everything your opponent did in his turn can be viewed using the "Game History" function.
9. To view an example of how it works seehttp://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=24329.0
Post turn summary has some minor bugs for aa50 related to the turn summary for the USA/China turn, but this does not effect playability. Everything related to past turns can be viewed using the game history and any dice outcomes will be emailed to you as they happen.
Have fun and enjoy the technology!