• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

After talking with Coach, we would like to know what everyone would want in a Japanese Supplement set to match with the upcoming US Supplement set. With some really great Pacific theatre games coming soon (Coach’s Pearl Harbor game, Tall Paul’s Solomon’s Campaign, and my Midway game) I thought we should let Coach know what we want the Japanese to have to take on the Americans…

A few items to start the list:

B5N Kate torpedo bomber
    Akagi or Kaga class carrier
    Hiyo class or other light carrier
    Japanese Marines (SNLF)
    Kongo class Battleship

Remember, Coach gives us about 12 slots for sculpts so we have a an opportunity here to really expand our Japanese collection with just one set.

• banzai units in cap/helmet with sword and pistol. and infantry with rifle-automatic weapon. chinese units
    trucks, mech infantry,  tac bomber, fortifications -
    sets would be in various colors:  one color would mirror fmg’s future units, red, burnt orange,  blue/purple ( jap imperial guards/marines) and black (elite units)
    tanks. armored cars, artillery and planes -28piece total as in the minor sets.

these units would be great to add pieces and supplement such maps for okinawa, singapore and asia engulfed.

• maybe another fighter like the Hayabusa

• Customizer

I have a few ideas.  By the way, the Kongo was actually a battlecruiser.

Fuso class Battleship
    Ise class Battleship/Carrier hybrid
    Jintsu class Light Carrier
    Type 97 Chi-Ha medium tank –- This might be in FMG’s set.
    Type 3 Chi-Nu — an SPG

Also, I saw another twin engine bomber, the G3M1 Type 96 “Nell”.  Could be a nice alternative to the G4M1 Type 1 “Betty”.  Here’s pic.

G3M1 Type 96 Nell.JPG

• Customizer

Another pic of the “Nell”.  It’s the plane on the right (the “Betty” is on the left).

Japanese bombers 2.JPG

• Why planes? FMG is going to give us all the air and naval units we’ll need??? variations of land units I feel should take priority because as was seen in the FMG Italian set there are an abundance of air and naval units at the expense of armor and land units.

Remember, this is just a supplementary set. The bulk of the units will come from FMG’s set.

• '14

@militaryman077:

Why planes? FMG is going to give us all the air and naval units we’ll need??? variations of land units I feel should take priority because as was seen in the FMG Italian set there are an abundance of air and naval units at the expense of armor and land units.

Remember, this is just a supplementary set. The bulk of the units will come from FMG’s set.

But when??

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

What I have tried to offer is a unit that is unique. Since Germany and Japan both have twin engine bombers in game and all other nations have 4, I would like to see a 4 engine bomber for Japanese so it can be used as a heavy.

• @coachofmany:

What I have tried to offer is a unit that is unique. Since Germany and Japan both have twin engine bombers in game and all other nations have 4, I would like to see a 4 engine bomber for Japanese so it can be used as a heavy.

For Germany you have the Heinkel 177.  But to my knowledge Japan didn’t produce any 4 engine bombers in WW2. Japan had a lot of unique designs during the war that were already mentioned above. The Kaga carriers, with their unique smoke stacks, the Hyuga-Ise hybrid carriers/battleships, midget subs, aircraft carrier subs, Kaiten subs, their tankettes and so on.

• '14

@Hobbes:

@coachofmany:

For Germany you have the Heinkel 177.  But to my knowledge Japan didn’t produce any 4 engine bombers in WW2. Japan had a lot of unique designs during the war that were already mentioned above. The Kaga carriers, with their unique smoke stacks, the Hyuga-Ise hybrid carriers/battleships, midget subs, aircraft carrier subs, Kaiten subs, their tankettes and so on.

Check this out. Japan had them and the technology but lacked the vision to use them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_G5N

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

• '14

The G10N1 was a prototype but it looks cool also!!

• Militaryman i think the air crafts will be remakes of the oob molds, just like the germans

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@Tigerman77:

@militaryman077:

Why planes? FMG is going to give us all the air and naval units we’ll need??? variations of land units I feel should take priority because as was seen in the FMG Italian set there are an abundance of air and naval units at the expense of armor and land units.

But when??

Exactly… FMG stuff is good, but Japan is WAY DOWN their list. I contend we need them sooner and Coach seems to have the means if we give him the $$$.

@coachofmany:

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/Nippon/Japanese.htm

G5N
    G8N
    Ki91

I vote G8N. It would look good next to the OOB piece and serves the purpose of heavy well IMO.

I think it’s okay to go heavy on air and naval in this set since that’s what most player’s buy a lot of in any global game and in every theatre game since they are about control of the Pacific Islands. Not to say we don’t need a few land units, but I think a good mix might be 3 air, 3-4 ground, 5-6 naval. Something like that.

• Customizer

“Coach”,

Are you thinking of a “Japanese Supplemetary” set, or a “Japanese Naval” set?

If you’re talking about a “Supplementary” set I’d suggest that you go with the SAME MAKEUP AS FOR TYPES that you went with for the “US Supplement” set.

If you’re talking about a Naval set, then that’s a lot differrent.

I’ll post some choices later.

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Everyone,

Today December 7th, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbor.  I believe it’s important that we remember and honor the sacrifices made by many who preceded us.

It would be great to have more American and Japanese Naval and other units to be able to recreate the titanic struggle between them 70 years ago.

And also some new games like the “Coach’s” Pearl Harbor" game.

Respectfully,
                                                                                     “Tall Paul”

• Customizer

I also agree the G8N “Rita” would make a great Japanese Heavy Bomber to add to the game.

@Lunarwolf:

Militaryman i think the air crafts will be remakes of the oob molds, just like the germans

FMG didn’t totally remake OOB molds.  While they are doing the Me109 for the fighter and Ju87 Stuka for the tac (I would have liked to see the Me110 for a new tac, but whatever), they did choose a different bomber.  FMG is making the He111 (OOB is Ju88).

• @coachofmany:

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/Nippon/Japanese.htm

G5N
    G8N
    Ki91

Nice ones. Thanks for the site. The Rita sort of resembles a B-17 but the Liz is more unusual, specially the cockpit areas.

• Coach, here are some ideas for an Imperial Japanese set.  This is going to be awesome.
    CV  Akagi or Kaga
    CVL Ruyjo or Hosho
    BB  Nagato 16 inch guns or Fuso class 14 inch guns
    BB/CV Ise
    CA Mogami Class
    Type 65 Super Cruiser Projected never built
    CL Nagara or Jintsu Class
    DD Akitsuki class 8 x 3.9 guns in dual gun mounts.
    The Japanese specifically designed these vessels to provide AA defense for aircraft carriers. Akitsuki, Terutsuki, Hatsusuki, Niitsuki, Wakatsuki, and Shimotsuki were destroyed in World War II. Suzutsuki, Fuyutsuki, Hanatsuki, and Natsutsuki were scrapped in 1948. In 1947, the other two units, Yoitsuki and Harutsuki, were transferred to China and the Soviet Union, respectively. The Chinese scrapped their vessel in 1963; the Soviets expended their unit as a missile target ship sometime in the late 1960s.
    Heavy Bomber Rita or Nell
    Long Range Recon Mavis Flying Boat
    Kate Torpedo Bomber
    Val Dive Bomber
    Type 89 15CM Cannon was the main gun of the Imperial Japanese Army heavy artillery units. It was widely used from the Manchurian Incident to the end of World War II, for example, Nomonhan, Bataan and Corregidor Island, Okinawa

Coach again just some ideas

WARRIOR888

• Coach, I left one idea out, here it is.
    The Type 90 240mm Railway Gun was initially deployed as a coastal artillery battery at Futtsu, Chiba, as part of the defenses guarding the entrance to Tokyo Bay. It was redeployed to Manchukuo in 1941, and based in the Hulin area of Heilongjiang, as part of the defenses against the Soviet Union, where it remained for the duration of World War II. When the Soviet Union invaded Manchukuo in the closing days of the war, the gun was destroyed by retreating Kwangtung Army forces and abandoned.

Now that would give the IJA a very unique unit!

WARRIOR888

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m