• If playing the latest setup of global, do any of you buy tech?

Going to start playing this game and the strategies I’ve read seem to avoid it?

I mean, couldn’t a country like the USA buy a tech token or two and get a few rolls and likely a tech before Japan even declares on them?

Thanks for any help/ideas.

• @Jeff28:

If playing the latest setup of global, do any of you buy tech?

I mean, couldn’t a country like the USA buy a tech token or two and get a few rolls and likely a tech before Japan even declares on them?

Well, for one, unlike AA50, in AA1940 there aren’t tech tokens.  Each die roll costs 5 ipc, and if you missroll that’s 5 ipc wasted.  While it could be a relatively safe investment in Anniversary in that eventually you should get something with that token, it’s a complete gamble here and you need to pay to even fail a tech roll.

Add to that the completely unpredictable nature of tech, where you can’t easily plan your buys based on tech you’re hoping for because you’ll most likely get a different tech.  So since it can’t be something to plan for, and it’s so completely random, most players probably don’t bother unless they have some excess cash or feel lucky.

It’s probably better to perfect your purchases and refine your war-plan than risk a chance at one of the techs, unless it’s very much just for fun and everyone is doing it.  Otherwise, that lack of income can tip the balance, and this game takes a long time to reset up if there was a silly early win/loss simply because of a blown purchase.

• Sponsor

@kcdzim:

@Jeff28:

If playing the latest setup of global, do any of you buy tech?

Agree 100%…… with the opinion that R&D should be fixed.

Well, for one, unlike AA50, in AA1940 there aren’t tech tokens.  Each die roll costs 5 ipc, and if you missroll that’s 5 ipc wasted.  While it could be a relatively safe investment in Anniversary in that eventually you should get something with that token, it’s a complete gamble here and you need to pay to even fail a tech roll.

Add to that the completely unpredictable nature of tech, where you can’t easily plan your buys based on tech you’re hoping for because you’ll most likely get a different tech.  So since it can’t be something to plan for, and it’s so completely random, most players probably don’t bother unless they have some excess cash or feel lucky.

It’s probably better to perfect your purchases and refine your war-plan than risk a chance at one of the techs, unless it’s very much just for fun and everyone is doing it.  Otherwise, that lack of income can tip the balance, and this game takes a long time to reset up if there was a silly early win/loss simply because of a blown purchase.

• You spend 5 IPC for a 1/72 chance at getting the Tech you want most.
    Take into account that some techs are next to useless for some nations (e.g. cheaper naval units for Russia or rockets for USA or Japan) and it is quite a risk.

• I never buy tech in Global, i have better uses for the money.

(also, in Anniversary i ALWAYS got to get radar as USA, pissed me off so badly!)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m