• This info may be scattered around the forum, but as these new units become available, thought it could be consolidated under one post.  If it aready exists, someone please attach the link.

New FMG to integrate:

Light Tank v. Heavy Tank

Truck

Transport

Commander

New HBG to integrate:

Marine (use AAP rule)

LTV

Please add your ideas…

• I always get mixed up between these two companies on who makes what, as both seem to sell a lot of the same custom pieces… :(

thx for posting them by who made em!

• Stat Ideas for New Units:
    New FMG to integrate:
    Light Tank v. Heavy Tank

Light Tank:
    Cost: 5
    Att: 3
    Def: 2
    MV: 2

• Can Blitz
    • No Combined Armor Bonus with Tac Fighters
    • Boosts Mech Infantry to Attack: +1 [Artillery now boosts only Infantry +1]

Heavy Tank:
    Cost: 6
    Def: 3

• Can Blitz
    • Combined Armor Bonus w/ Tac Fighters

Truck:
    Cost: 3
    Att: 0
    Def:  0 - but can be chosen as casualty

• Transport (1) Infantry unit /Truck (2) spaces (Land version of Transport)

Air Transport:
    Cost: 6
    Def: 0
    MV: 6

• Can transport  & drop (2) Infantry units (as paratroopers)
    • Subject to AA Gun fire if dropping into territory with AA gun

Commander:

• Each nation has a starting number of Army generals and Naval Admirals “of note” (varies by nation) and a “new addition” after a set # of turns has been completed (note:  Must have surface ships other than transports or subs on board to place Admiral commander unit):
      Germany: 3 generals/1 admiral / (+1 General or Admiral after every 3 turns)
      Italy: 1/1 / (+1 General or Admiral after every 6 turns)
      France: 1/1 (+1 General or Admiral after every 6 turns – Only when France is Allied occupied)
      UK Europe: 2/1 (+1 General or Admiral after every 3 turns)
      UK Pacific: 1/1 (+1 General or Admiral after every 3 turns)
      Anzac: 0/0 (+1 General or Admiral after every 5 turns)
      Japan: 2/3 (+1 General or Admiral after every 4 turns)
      Russia: 3/0 (+1 General or Admiral after every 3 turns)
      Canada: 0/0 (if played as separate nation) (Not available)
      Axis Minors: 0/0 (if played as separate nation) (Not available)

• Starting placement is determined by each player

• No cost / No ATT / No Def / MV: 1

• Removed from game if territory is taken

• Pay attacking nation 2 IPCs if General or Admiral is lost

• Cannot  be stacked or combined (only 1 per territory)

• Cannot be taken as casualty

• Army General:
      (1) Provides +1 attack to each land unit for 1st round only (Infantry; Mech Infantry; Tank; Artillery)
      (2) When defending, allows units to retreat after 1st round of combat;

• Admiral:
      (1) Can make (1) “called shot” per combat round against a specific naval unit
      (2) When defending, allows units to retreat after 1st round of combat

HGB Units:
    Marine (US Only): (use original AAP rule)

LTV (US only):
    Def: 0
    Mv: 1 (sea movement)
    -Cannot move on land
    -Must move in conjunction with sea transport unit but does not count against that transports load value
    -Automatically lost if transport is sunk or if amphibious assault fails.
    -Cannot be taken as casualty
    -Can transport 1 Infantry unit for +1 Attack during Amphibious assault

• From HBG Minor Axis set:

Self Propelled Artillery:
    Def: 1

• On Attack: Called shot against Light & Heavy Tanks / Mech Infantry
    • On Defense: First Shot in opeing round of combat (prior to attacker rolling)

• This is quite a late reply but I was just recently searching to see what house rules people had come up with regarding the new pieces.

One of my main concerns is that there is no use for the truck units. At a cost of 3 IPCs, It seems much more cost-effective to simply purchase a mechanized infantry unit that can move 2 on its own (at 4 IPCs), than to spend 6 IPC’s to purchase both a regular infantry and truck to transport it. The only advantage the latter would have would be the extra hit the truck could take as a casualty, but this still doesn’t seem to outweigh the extra cost. If you were building up a mobile support force (for say the Eastern Front, where mobility makes a much greater difference), you could build a sizable force of 6 mechanized infantry (likely over several turns), all capable of moving 2 spaces and being supported by artillery, for 24 IPC’s. For the same value, you would only be able to purchase 4 infantry and you would need 4 trucks to transport them - giving an extra two hits total to take as casualties, but also with two fewer units attacking, which to me seems more important.

Also, the bonus for the commander unit seems to be a bit much. +1 for EVERY land unit, even if only for the first round of combat, seems an overwhelming advantage that is magnified by every additional unit that is involved. It feels like it transforms that army into an unstoppable force rather than giving a tactical advantage as a good General might have done (but this might only be the case for extremely large unit stacks). I am however a fan of the idea of commanders allowing retreats, and even possibly preventing enemy retreats if there is no enemy commander unit present.

I don’t mean to be too critical, the other suggested atk/def/move and cost values seem like great ideas, and these should add more flexibility and diversity to the games. Just had a few concerns with the above two. Have you play-tested any of these ideas?

• '10

You will need the truck units for games like Barbarossa that have logistics involved.

• @Fishmoto37:

You will need the truck units for games like Barbarossa that have logistics involved.

Are you referring to a specific A&A Barbarossa game or just the general German invasion of the Soviet Union?

If the general invasion, I still think that it would be more cost-effective to spend the 4 IPCs for a mech infantry unit rather than 6 IPCs trying to duplicate the mobility by hauling regular infantry units around. If they could transport artillery units as well, that might make some difference - If you already had truck units in place they would be effective for helping move infantry (and artillery if that were the case) over large distances of land, but from there I would only build mech infantry rather than build new truck units.

• '10

@Squadron:

@Fishmoto37:

Are you referring to a specific A&A Barbarossa game or just the general German invasion of the Soviet Union?

If the general invasion, I still think that it would be more cost-effective to spend the 4 IPCs for a mech infantry unit rather than 6 IPCs trying to duplicate the mobility by hauling regular infantry units around. If they could transport artillery units as well, that might make some difference - If you already had truck units in place they would be effective for helping move infantry (and artillery if that were the case) over large distances of land, but from there I would only build mech infantry rather than build new truck units.

I am referring to Tigerman’s Barbarossa game that is played on the map that HBG sells. Surprised that you have not heard of it. Check out my posts of this game under Other AA Variants. You can also see it on BGG. this game requires that you keep supplies up to the front to keep your operations moving. It also has trains and air transport.

• I will be sure to check it out - thanks!

• In my opinion, if you are integrating several of these units into your games you should really make the small investment of at least D12 dice, if not D20’s.  This allows for better variance between different units. Personally, I do D20’s. HBG has a spreadsheet on their page offering suggestions on both D12 & D20.

However, in a D6 format I might suggest a few variations to the above mentioned ideas.

Trucks:  (as squadron commander pointed out the cost effectiveness issue) I use a cost of 2, moves 2, no attack or defense. Trucks can carry 2 infantry or 1 infantry & 1 artillery. They can be used to bring tools into combat zones and can be taken as casualties.

Air transports:  cost 6, move 4, no attack or defense, can deploy 1 paratrooper into combat (subject to AA), or 2 infantry from one friendly territory to another friendly territory.

LVT: cost 5, move 2, attack 2, defend, 2, acts like a reg tank but grants +1 to infantry attack rolls (paired) when used during amphibious attacks.

Jus some ideas……

• I have said this before but I also use trucks as land transports
    They have no atk or DEF and can transport 2 Infantry or  1 infantry and 1 artillery

• Customizer

Old post but good ideas. You can use the D12 stats at HBG and halve them (att/def) on many of the units listed there.

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/assets/images/HBG/HBG%20Rules/HBG%20D12-20%20Chart.pdf

• Attached are the D12 Unit Rules and National Advantages I use for a 1941 set up of HBG’s 1939 MAP.

National Advantages are a combination of good ideas from this forum over the years.

Unit Stats Global Map D12.xls

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m